free hit
counters
The Game Changers & Meat - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Dan.G

The Game Changers & Meat

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Yeah. After xmas when you get bored with it, you can eat it! Not so good if you do that with a dog!

Christmas is going to be tough,

All, remember, im not doing this to save the planet.. if i were id be convincing you all to go electric! This is about seeing the truth in it, to see if there is any gains to be had from not eating meat, to see if I personally feel any better.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've done a few periods of several weeks without meat, purely because I hate handling raw meat and vegetarian menus have evolved into incredibly tasty stuff. I can state unequivocally that my well-being has improved, a great deal, each time - something I never expected.  But a nice steak now and then is irresistible!

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Despite the bbq rib pulling @Dan.G I keenly await your update as feel, purely for health reasons, that I do need to reduce my cavernous appetite for wonderfully cooked red meat, game, etc.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

31 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I've done a few periods of several weeks without meat, purely because I hate handling raw meat and vegetarian menus have evolved into incredibly tasty stuff. I can state unequivocally that my well-being has improved, a great deal, each time - something I never expected.  But a nice steak now and then is irresistible!

I can see thats how its going to go for me. A few days a week not putting a sausage down my throat

2 hours ago, Dan.G said:

I can see thats how its going to go for me. A few days a week not putting a sausage down my throat

Sounds like a lady of the night talking about having the weekend off!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Dan - not having a go. Seriously, as I said, I'm happy to let anyone do whatever they want.

As Kimbers' says though, if we all go veggie, there will be massive implications. Excluding Vegans (who I'm sorry, I think are just plain nuts!), most veggies would admit to prefer keeping dairy products and eggs (to name but a few things) in their diet. However for example, cows only produce milk by virtue of breeding - that offspring generally supplies the rest of the food chain - I have worked in Agriculture and very specifically to increase animal welfare standards. Is what we do perfect - no! but our standards lead the World and giving a grass fed beef animal a decent life before it enters the human food chain is surely better than killing it at birth simply so we can provide milk, butter and cheese etc. Ergo, if no one eats meat, what do we ultimately do to replace dairy products? Mass produced Soya (whilst not killing animals per se) is no better (and probably worse) for the environment.

I readily accept that we face a massive dilemma (and I take on board that your emphasis wasn't on saving the planet!). I also accept that we should ALL eat less (and consume less entirely, food or otherwise). As a Nation, I suspect that we were far healthier under strict rationing during the War - I'm guessing no one enjoyed the experience but our Society today is not a great example of how we should continue. 

As I said before, I'm interested to see how your experiment develops.

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

11 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

As a Nation, I suspect that we were far healthier under strict rationing during the War - I'm guessing no one enjoyed the experience 

I understand where you are coming from. But take into account that the rise in obesity has been over the last 20 years with a huge rise in fast food, ready meals etc and we had freedom of food from the early 60s onwards. I think we have just become a "Throwaway" society and in more ways than consumer items. I think food is included in this "Fast efficient food" both in time and minimum of effort.

See Dan, your Topic already has us thinking!

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Healthy or not - the way we fish (globally) is a disgrace.

However much anyone criticises modern farming techniques, eating meat is at least self sustaining - by that I mean that what we (re)produce, we eat (in one form or another).

Fishing has (historically) massively taken from the sea with little thought about replacing what is taken. Over fishing and industrialised trawling has had a massively negative impact on the environment. On the whole, I believe the UK has responded in a better way to control fishing and protect areas for fish to re-generate. Farmed fish have also had a beneficial effect. If other Countries continue to abuse the environment and also infringe our waters, what long term chance do we have? The quota system has led to enormous amounts of catch just being thrown back, either dead or to die - a total waste and a classic example of not thinking through the implications of EU Policy.

• Like 2

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?