free hit
counters
The Game Changers & Meat - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Dan.G

The Game Changers & Meat

While nursing a hangover, I decided to watch 'the game changers' on Netflix. I had heard of this documentary a few times so it was on my watch list, I have to say, its worth watching.

At present, there is a lot of talk about our health, the food we eat, the environment, etc etc. It is something I consider regularly, being a typical lager drinking, red meat eating, middle-aged bloke who daily works from a desk... I tend to be conscious of the food I eat, cooking food from scratch with little processed food just being chucked in the oven.

I was glued to the film, seriously. There is a real argument that a vegetarian diet is better for you, better for your long term health, fitness & training, it can even reduce any inflammation in the muscles which supports recovery.

Lewis Hamilton, Arnold Schwarzenegger, top athletes etc have recently gone veggie, now, I appreciate there is a stigma around veggies and the meat lovers on here will have their say on this matter, but, if the proof is in the pudding that a veggie diet is better for us, are we missing a trick here??

Having watched the film, im going to give it a go. Im going veggie for the next 30 days, to try it for myself and see if I feel any difference.

Anyone else done this or considering this? Happy to share recipes?

Think of the classic saying... 'strong as an ox', well, the ox eats grass...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just been for an all you can eat Harvester breakfast. I’d highly recommend the bacon and sausages - tastes just like real meat*.

* Made of pork products and derivatives 

• Haha 1

Only here once

How veggie are you going? Will you still drink beer and eat fish/dairy?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I get that there is no substitute for real meat, believe me, I love a bbq! But thats not the point here, if i can train longer, have more energy, live longer and feel healthier, surely I shouldnt dismiss the value of a veggie diet?

Good question bibs, im not going to become eco warrior of the year. I simply want to make some little changes, in this case, cut out meat and check for benefits. I will see how week 1 goes and if im feeling knackered then i will introduce fish, but not meat. The training is currenty consisting of the gym 6 times a week and long runs 3 times a week, so I will need to maintain my fuel levels.

As for the beer... I need to have a long think on that one..

Trouble with the live longer bit is you will never know. The main problem I have with veggie people is they become militant about meat eaters and develop a holier than thou attitude ,vegans being the worst 

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

2 hours ago, pete said:

Trouble with the live longer bit is you will never know. The main problem I have with veggie people is they become militant about meat eaters and develop a holier than thou attitude ,vegans being the worst 

Im in no danger of my diet making me feel godly, I thought that of myself anyway!

Dan, you are entirely at liberty to try what ever you want, good or bad and it will be interesting to observe the results - Not sure 1 week would be considered a long enough test though?

I am a dyed in the wool meatist and will probably never change my mind but I don't have an issue with anyone of an opposite view as long as they don't ram it down my throat (Not accusing you there)

I have 3 immediate observations:

1. As the primary food provider in our house I have more recently attempted to introduce a 'meat free night' in order to satisfy the younger element - I will not put anything that is vegetable and has been made to look like meat on a plate - over processed crap as far as I'm concerned. Tofu is simply reconstituted w*nk as far as I'm concerned so that's out. Some how a roast dinner without the meat just doesn't do it for me. I struggle to see how I could deliver not only wholesome but interesting and satisfying food on a regular basis without meat based protein

2. As far as living longer goes, surely we are living long enough (statistically) already - irrespective of what I eat now, I'd rather die young than end up a vegetable in a chair that no one can eat! If someone can explicitly and without doubt prove that eating meat causes dementia and not eating meat doesn't then I might be more ready to listen.

3. Meat eating has predominantly been the cause of Humans being at the top of the food chain and with bigger brains etc etc (I am not bringing what we do or don't do with those brains into this thread - that's a whole different ball game!) Maybe if we'd never eaten meat we'd still be swinging from the trees? 

Will watch with interest supping my beer or wine of choice

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

image.jpeg.9142300c02c5ec9c7b1c100a000cb2db.jpeg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Hahahaha!! Thats it, make it easy fellas!

Day 2, no cravings.. chickpea and spinach curry yesterday. Veggie burgers tonight. I was expecting them to taste like cardboard but they were actually really good. I highly recommend comparing the sat fat in a beef burger vs veggie burger. Bit of an eye opener.

So far, no differences noticed. However, i dont feel so heavy inside. Ive not found myself hungry either.

The challenge will continue..

• Like 1

Listened to podcast version of this today whilst in car. Worth a watch to balance out Netflix programme 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

1 hour ago, Dan.G said:

The challenge will continue..

Give it a week - stand next to a pan of frying bacon.......

Only here once

I rest my case! Veggie burgers?

I don't understand the need to eat processed food (as a meat eater, I refuse McD etc) so why replicate it with vegetables.

If you want to eat veg - chew on a carrot

To be fair - Morrison’s spicy bean burgers are actually very nice indeed.

wouldnt choose them over a steak though

Only here once

I don't exclude the possibility that these products taste good - if they didn't MacD would be dead. But why pretend to be something they aren't - surely that is simply designed to play on people's psychology?

meat is already good enough that we haven't seen the a piece of steak disguised as a carrot

25 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

meat is already good enough that we haven't seen the a piece of steak disguised as a carrot

Strangely though - you do see carrots made out of marzipan on cakes.... best tasting carrots I’ve ever had

Only here once

I knew this topic would get some heat. The veggie replacements are simply tasters, to see what is out there. Tomorrow its bean burritos!! Im hoping to see an impact on my training from that one, hopefully more energy, being loaded with veg.

Again, im not saying meat is bad, i do genuinely love nandos as much as the next guy. Im simply testing the theory that seems to get raised a lot recently that a plant based diets may be better for me at present.

The way the world is going at the moment, i wouldnt be surprised if were forced into being veggies anyway.

Has anyone watched the documentary yet? Anyone else trying it? Or do i need to close my account and join a tree hugger forum? Haha

• Haha 1

A friend of mine tried something similar. He gave up and went back to his normal diet after his wife threatened divorce due to his incessant, weapons-grade farting.

Margate Exotics.

11 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Strangely though - you do see carrots made out of marzipan on cakes.... best tasting carrots I’ve ever had

Oh yes, the little ones you get on a big slice of carrot cake with the chopped walnuts.

One of my favourite Sunday brunches after a wee blast to a lovely cafe in my Lotus. A lovely fresh real Italian coffee,  stonker of a bacon butty, and then the carrot cake.  Don't need to eat again all day.

Oooops, sorry, mentioned the pig again......

• Love 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

A pig would probably make a better pet than a dog - certainly more intelligent!

My view is eat what you like, drink what you like, smoke if you like. Just do it in moderation and you'll be fine.

I've nothing against veggies though, it's personal choice. Just don't expect me to give up bacon and beef to save the planet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neal H said:

A pig would probably make a better pet than a dog

Yeah. After xmas when you get bored with it, you can eat it! Not so good if you do that with a dog!

Modern pigs grow too big @Neal H I am talking these, not the cute little pigs people have as pets.
Image result for massive pig

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

11 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Modern pigs grow too big @Neal H I am talking these, not the cute little pigs people have as pets.
Image result for massive pig

How can something that ugly taste so good.....?

Second time I've heard that today.

• Haha 2

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.