Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 10 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear Everyone.

How are you doing because of the Chinese corona.

AIM MX2E Exclusive to Lotus cars.
with rear camera automatically displayed with V6 Exige CR Auto.

Comparing to my 311 Motec C127 display, MX2e Is somewhat small(7"-->6") but same resolution TFT.
And small number of display theme. But satisfactory to me.:-)

below is after shift light setting manual gear 2ZR

• Like 1

An update on the flickering screen issue I have. The firmware update has NOT fixed the issue. I will be returning my dash for replacement next week. AIM have not replied to my email regarding this matter, but I hope they will next week

I think I read on an alternative post and allegedly `’quoted” by AIM this issue was due to faulty PCB’c in early batches.

Here’s another one with display problems.... mine. Intermittent flashing dots on the screen. Not impressed given the cost. Further if they know that early batches were faulty where was the recall?

From another post it is alleged that there is a problem with the PCB’s and they need to be replaced.  See extract below.....

(- Screen seen flickering at times. (Race button flickering, RPM display flickering and showing false information, letters flickering)

• This is a problem that has very sporadically happened on a limited number of boards of the first production. We have to substitute the board

Further Gary has already had a firmware upgrade and his is still not working.

How do you know a F/W upgrade will fix it?

thanks

Mark

which version are you running? How do you know it is "newer" that the version I am running? I would be very happy if a firmware update fixed the issue, but so far it has not. and now AIM have apparently said...

This is a problem that has very sporadically happened on a limited number of boards of the first production. We have to substitute the board

Interesting reading through all of this...as soon as this virus thing has sorted itself out I am going to buy one to cheer myself up!!!

I am considering using the OEM binnacle as I am not convinced by the one supplied in the kit and am not overly keen on wrapping or dipping it either. All though the wrapped kit binnacle looks great I want to keep the car looking as OEM as possible except for the screen...

From  reading all the posts here, it looks like I could relocate the kit binnacle switches by wiring in four 'push-to-switch' switches which I would locate in the lower section of the steering shroud.

My question is; will the LCD dashboard unit locate in the OEM binnacle? Does the Kit Binnacle have a unique mounting bracket which is different from the OEM. I know that I would need to fashion a place for the GPS receiver but I think I know I can do that..

With regard to suggested improvements, have AIM addressed the following;

1. Software adjustment of the maximum revs shown...so it can be reduced to reflect the max revs of an Exige within the give space currently  

2. Cruise Control telltale light.

3. HVAC wiring.

4. Larger SPORTS/RACE telltale light.

Your help will be appreciated...stay safe...

Cris

Edited by Pathfinder1

7 hours ago, Pathfinder1 said:

Interesting reading through all of this...as soon as this virus thing has sorted itself out I am going to buy one to cheer myself up!!!

I am considering using the OEM binnacle as I am not convinced by the one supplied in the kit and am not overly keen on wrapping or dipping it either. All though the wrapped kit binnacle looks great I want to keep the car looking as OEM as possible except for the screen...

From  reading all the posts here, it looks like I could relocate the kit binnacle switches by wiring in four 'push-to-switch' switches which I would locate in the lower section of the steering shroud.

My question is; will the LCD dashboard unit locate in the OEM binnacle? Does the Kit Binnacle have a unique mounting bracket which is different from the OEM. I know that I would need to fashion a place for the GPS receiver but I think I know I can do that..

With regard to suggested improvements, have AIM addressed the following;

1. Software adjustment of the maximum revs shown...so it can be reduced to reflect the max revs of an Exige within the give space currently  

2. Cruise Control telltale light.

3. HVAC wiring.

4. Larger SPORTS/RACE telltale light.

Your help will be appreciated...stay safe...

Cris

OK so I seriously disliked the binnacle supplied by AIM, thats why I dipped it. The issue you will have keeping the original one is ...

1) The original one is wider that the AIM and thus you will need to add a blanking plate at each end to fill the void.

2) The dip in the middle of the binnacle will obscure part of the AIM dash (shift lights) but if you tall (6’0”) it wont matter as you cant see them anyway (along with the indicators.

I looked at buying the 430 carbon binnacle, but almost the same issues.

Lots of small niggles, put a pita having to strip the dash down, refit the old one and send away for a repair. AIM should have had a recall policy given the price point.

cheers

Mark

Mark, thanks for your feedback.

I think I will look at having the AIM binnacle wrapped in a matt black (as near to OEM) along with the upper and lower steering wheel shrouds.. More expenses but at least everything will match.  Not keen on CF or Alcantara, IMHO it will stick out like a sore thumb or it will do in my 380.

I might also look at removing the AIM switches from the Binnacle and the holes filled before wrapping and fit 'four-push-to-switch'' switches in the lower steering wheel shroud.  My guess is once you have set all the parameters up the only reason you need access to the switches is to perhaps switch between track and road layouts....

I hear you and sympathise re the niggles but I belive that new layouts and additional telltails will be disriptued via future firmware releases...so eventually AIM will get things sorted across all models in the future. I dont think AIM realised that each model of Exige and Elise have their own unique qualities :) and doubt they did testing prior to release across all variants.  So long as future updates are not hardware based we will be fine....fingers crossed as it is a sizable investment...

1 hour ago, Arun_D said:

Sounds very encouraging regarding the updates, Dave.

They have released the update last night, couple of small bits to do but this is a big update with versions for 2004-2020 cars as well as the additional sensor displays

Far too much to type here but if anyone wants help or info please give me a call

Here is a link to the update https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/sw-fw-download.htm#software

• Thanks 1

Dave thanks for the very positive update. New software always comes with bugs and AIM are clearly working hard to correct them and working on Lotus's, and I have had three, is nothing but straight forward. Patience and dog mindedness are two prerequisites!

I am really looking forward to a return to normality so we can all get on with the things we enjoy in life...and for me procuring and installing a AIM dashboard will be very much part of that.