free hit
counters
AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash - Page 12 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

AiM MX2E Elise/Exige specific dash

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Out of interest, anybody what can bus signals can you pick up with this dash to be displayed? Going to upgrade my firmware tomorrow, so just wanted to ask.

cheers

Mark

Ok so uploaded the new firmware onto my AIM, loaded OK apart from the start screen. Are there size limits to this file aside from the 800x480 pixels?

Also added the gearbox temperature as its available on 380+ cars with a gearbox oil cooler. However the reading was just a "-" with no temperature displayed so is this just a function of the sensor, i.e. when cold reads low?

cheers

@Mark.....did you get the the gearbox temp to show on the dash.  I have got to the same stage as you but I haven't been able to drive it.  Wondering if popped up then as I am only seeing a "-" at the moment with the car in garage.

To the wider audience...

I have had a play at setting the threshold for the Shift lights for each gear. Bearing in mind I am driving a 380 sports which revs out at 6.8k regardless of mode (I believe). I am not a track expert and probably better at Excel which to be honest this was created in.  The idea is the lights come on quicker in low gears and the colours change at lower rpms depending which gear you are in to reflect the speed at which you can go through the rev range.  (Low gears ...very quickly and high gears..... slower.) For those of you are track experts does this look right or would you suggest something different.....

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 11.30.25.png

On 15/04/2020 at 14:28, Mark030358 said:

Ok so uploaded the new firmware onto my AIM, loaded OK apart from the start screen. Are there size limits to this file aside from the 800x480 pixels?

Also added the gearbox temperature as its available on 380+ cars with a gearbox oil cooler. However the reading was just a "-" with no temperature displayed so is this just a function of the sensor, i.e. when cold reads low?

cheers

This may be a stupid question, but did you actually add the gearbox temp sensor from AIM?  Or you expecting to get it from the car somehow? 

@Pathfinder1 - I haven’t set my shift lights yet on the AIM, but from my Caterham I learnt that you want them to flash at you slightly lower, as it then gives you time to shift. If you set them too high you’re likely to hit the rev limiter.

RS3 has under ECU the Gearbox Temp. I transmitted this to the dash and got the text to display but the value was showing as "-"...which I belive is the same stage that Mark got to. Both Mark and I are driving 380 Sports and unless he has had a gearbox cooler fitted after delivery or had a Track Pack spec'd at order I think his too will always remain blank as mine as the temp sensor comes with the gearbox cooler. I tend to use the Road Digital Dash which gives you the option for two customised readings which I have set to Air Intake Temp and Hand Brake ON or OFF. Interestingly when I transmitted these changes to the dash I lost the Gear Number and although set it to re learn them, its still not working.  The gear learning has worked perfectly with un customised Dash before but not when I have added to two additional readings.  Will continue to fiddle today.

As for you advice re the Shift Lights is this more in line with your thinking...

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 07.37.45.png

Just transmitted it through and I now have two customised fields and gears are there......small things :)

With the help of aim my mistake was to try and update the standard config.  Their suggestion which worked was as follows.

1. Check that I was on latest Software and Firmware.(mine where)

2. Create a new configuration and not update the exsisting one.

3. Update the dashboards with the customised fields and update the Shift Light Mattrix

4. Save and then Transmit.

12 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

This may be a stupid question, but did you actually add the gearbox temp sensor from AIM?  Or you expecting to get it from the car somehow? 

@Pathfinder1 - I haven’t set my shift lights yet on the AIM, but from my Caterham I learnt that you want them to flash at you slightly lower, as it then gives you time to shift. If you set them too high you’re likely to hit the rev limiter.

Hi George, The gearbox sensor is on the can bus, so just added it. Not driven the car yet so don't know if it work yet 

cheers

Are you sure the sensor gives a value, not just a yes/no value?

The sensor which came with the Komo-tec cooler simply says to turn on the pump over a certain temperature.

I’ve got the gearbox temp sensor from AIM, looks pretty easy to wire in to be honest. 

I really want to go for this dash but the binnicle is the main stumbling block, it would stick out something horrible with the rest of the leather pack, I want to keep an OEM look as much as possible.

The Lotus leather on the binnicle cover is applied before the two halves of it are glued together - is the AIM version also designed/manufactured in same way ? If yes, possible to get the two parts from AIM before its assembled ?

Andy I had absolutely the same misgivings. I decided that I couldn't live with it as std and opted to go down a modified route..it will cost me more but the end result will address my aesthetic concerns.

Firstly I have moved the buttons to the lower steering wheel shroud forward of the two oem button switches for the exhaust flap and trip.  Opted for rocker switches so I only needed to fit two switches as space is limited. Wiring is well explained on the AiM support website and easy if you are into that sort of thing  

The AiM binnacle comes with two types of plastic..the binnacle hood is a rough black shinny plastic and the dash surround which is a smooth black shinny plastic. Both are bonded together along with the four switches in the binnacle hood..

I wanted to keep any work I did on the AiM binnacle as close to OEM as possible..My OEM binnacle is plastic but an option from Lotus was to have it in Carbon. I cant easily create the plastic look so I oted for carbon 

So I looked at Carbon fibre dipping, wrapping and trimming with alcantara trim, all of which I discounted as it wasn't close enough to what is available from Lotus as OEM. Although dipping came close I wasnt able to match the Carbon fibre that Lotus supplied on the car and I have quite a bit of it. Wrapping can bubble in high temps and the binnacle has lots of awkward surfaces to contend with. Dipping on curves such as the hood tends to stretch the weave which doesn't happen with real carbon fibre as much. In addition all my Lotus created carbon fibre has a seam in the center of the item with the weave placed at an angle to each other and you can't do this to my knowledge with dipping. A further consideration was I wanted to remove the AiM switches completely from hood so I would be left with holes which would need to be filled.

So I have opted to have the hood carbon fibre skinned to match the pattern used by Lotus on other components on the car. The holes where the AiM buttons where will be filled and made good. I am going to keep the black shinny plastic suround of the dash...that's just about tolerable.. To do the skinning effectively the hood will have to be seperated from the surround, skinned and then rebonded. In addition i am having the two with 'wings' of the binnacle covered in dark grey synthetic  perforated  lether as per the OEM. All this work on the binnacle is well beyond my capabilities but I have found a local company who have the skills to do the work. It not cheep but it is less than a Carbon fibre binnacle from Lotus which wouldn't fit anyway but it will address my anal aesthetic concerns  

The AiM dash is a piece of art in my view and their binnacles lets it down big time. So the extra expense to perhaps finish it off as it should have been is justified IMHO.

I'll post a picture of the swiches but I won't have the binnacle back for about 4 weeks due to staff availability due to the Virus.

Perhaps OTT but it works for me.....

Thanks for that, good to know I’m not the only one 🙂

I will move switches to the lower column/use an Omega Wiper column stalk and fill in the holes in the cover.

I have a second original binnacle and hope to cut the “dimples” curved sections off and thin them out to cover the Aim version.

The leather cover remains the concern and knowing its in two parts helps, I hope I can get them supplied “unglued”

On 29/04/2020 at 18:29, Pathfinder1 said:

Mine has got cruise onto so I couldn't see how the Omega stork solution would have worked for me so I went with the rockers...

Good luck with getting them in two pieces...the ideal solution as the bonding is like concrete!!

Be interested to see how that works out. I dipped mine and looks OK, but could be better. If its ok can you pass on the details of who you are using?

thanks

Mark

Another software update released today https://www.aim-sportline.com/en/sw-fw-download.htm#firmware The most interesting is the ability to disable the air bag light!!!!!

Fix RPM bar graph in Digital pages

Fix Gear display in Blue Road Digital page for 2011-2020

configuration Activate/deactivate airbag icon warning from menu (in case airbag module is not installed)

Fix cruise control icon

NOTE: after firmware update default model configuration will be installed

Edited by Seriouslylotus
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Fix RPM bar graph in Digital pages

Does this allow you reduce the max rev from 9k to say 7k, for those of us with cars that max out at 6.8k, whilst using the whole of the available space given to the graph..

On 29/04/2020 at 18:31, mark248am said:

Great video and fair and honest commentary....although hitting the rev limiter twice wasn't really necessary.....;)

Great idea about setting the screen slightly lower so you can see the shift lights.  Might try that when I get my binnacle back from skinning.....

2 hours ago, Pathfinder1 said:

Does this allow you reduce the max rev from 9k to say 7k, for those of us with cars that max out at 6.8k, whilst using the whole of the available space given to the graph..

NO its to fix an slight RPM over read on the digital screen

Edited by Seriouslylotus

6 hours ago, Pathfinder1 said:

Great video and fair and honest commentary....although hitting the rev limiter twice wasn't really necessary.....;)

Great idea about setting the screen slightly lower so you can see the shift lights.  Might try that when I get my binnacle back from skinning.....

My car revs quite a bit quicker than most Exige, not easy to film and shift etc without hitting the limiter when you can't see the dash as there's a camera covering it :)