free hit
counters
Paint protection Film - yes or no? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Goatboy

Paint protection Film - yes or no?

My car currently has its factory fit PPF, which looks to be fair to have done a good job.

But it is looking tired now (it is 8 years old after all) with a few chunks taken out of it, lifting in a couple of (small) places and the edges are more obvious than i would like them to be.

Has anyone removed the PPF and just gone for a ceramic coating or something like that? Does the Evora suffer badly from stone chips?

I haven't looked into it but I am guessing to replace the PPF would cost a lot of money?

Car is a daily so will see a lot of motorways but very few if any trackdays....

Any first hand experience?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I wouldn’t be without the protection as it all gets a real battering. That said if you have barge boards it negates the need except for behind the rear wheels. Personally I wouldn’t be without the front bumper either or you are about 10k miles per respray. 

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

It does get battered by the stone chips. Also, essential you have the headlights covered as the lacquer coating cracks with age and if you crack a lens that's £1000 to replace the unit.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Thanks Guys, I don't mind the odd stone chip but respray at 10k sounds pretty bonkers.

Old stuff will definitely stay on over winter and I will investigate pirces locally...

£10k would be a full strip down respray.

Front clam and sides would be nearer £2k max.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Yep the front will get chips without the PPF.

When I first got my car (2010 S1) it had the original PPF and the edges had started to dirt in and were very obvious and looked crap so I asked for it to be taken off.  The car looked much better with out the obvious lines but yes as mentioned it picked up chips and I really regret taking the old film off and leaving it unprotected.

After about 15K road miles and 5 track days ... I have one large chip just under the badge, which started to flake off and become worse, so I really need to stabilise it at least if not fix it properly.  But otherwise there are a few smaller chips on the front bumper and the car looks used but not terrible and desperately in need of a respray.  I guess it comes down to personal preference and how close to concourse finish you like to keep your car.

I think next not the list of things to fix on the car is the front bumper paint and get a PPF.   I have barge boards on my car so the side and wheel arches are protected.

I did have my car ceramic coated and I find it really helps to keep the contaminants from damaging the clear coat and dirt just wipes away very easily with a damp cloth and the glossy shine is easily restored with out too much elbow grease. 

edit - I think Colin was implying 10K miles before you get enough paint damage that you need to respray the car.   Not £10K for the cost of a respray. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

edit - I think Colin was implying 10K miles before you get enough paint damage that you need to respray the car.   Not £10K for the cost of a respray. 

Yep that’s what i meant but the front bumper only.  My S1 I sold with 24k miles and the front bumper had been resprayed twice. I got it ppf’d after the second respray. My 400 had ppf from new and is unblemished at 21k miles, although there are a couple of marks in the ppf. 

I did the headlights on both too. 

im a fussy bugger though. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. I have never had PPF on any cars before and never felt I needed a respray but it appears the Evora suffers badly from stone chips.  

10k miles I would expect one or 2 chips but certainly not enough to need a respray. 

PPF it is!

As you’re local to me, you are very welcome to pop over and have a gander at my car and see the damage it’s had in 2 years and ~15k miles and make a judgement. 

Also out of interest what would be a ball park figure to get ppf on the front bumper? 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Also out of interest what would be a ball park figure to get ppf on the front bumper? 

£2-300

7 hours ago, electro_boy said:

As you’re local to me, you are very welcome to pop over and have a gander at my car and see the damage it’s had in 2 years and ~15k miles and make a judgement. 

Top plan! Thank you. 

Thanks Colin, for that price it’s a no brainier to get PPF. Even more annoyed at my self for removing the old film and bit getting new one out on! Doh! Oh well live and learn!  

I went for full front PPF from delivery and I have not regretted it, it's well worth the cost.  I've had a couple of sections replaced due to them having done their job and me being fussy, but I've no doubt that the film has saved the paint from quite a few unsightly blemishes.  The only downside is the gaps between the sections, as they tend to gather dirt, which is especially noticeable on a white car, but I'd rather put up with a bit more effort at wash time than chipped paint.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Colin P said:

Yep that’s what i meant but the front bumper only.  My S1 I sold with 24k miles and the front bumper had been resprayed twice. I got it ppf’d after the second respray. My 400 had ppf from new and is unblemished at 21k miles, although there are a couple of marks in the ppf. 

I did the headlights on both too. 

im a fussy bugger though. 

Oops, flipping idiot I am, I realised this morning that I forgot the miles already on the S1 when I bought it. Sold at 44K miles, so a front bumper respray every 20K miles, not 10K  :blush:

Worth saying that there is a member on here who has a rather large "flap" of PPF hanging off his front where he got hit by a brick from a skip lorry. Paint underneath unmarked, but it does need the PPF replacing. It's a job for the winter he says (though he said that last year too :)). I suspect that the PPF not only saved the paint, but probably a crack or hole in the bumper too.

• Like 2