free hit
counters
Komo-Tec Work490 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just met an 380 CUP with this kit at Magny Cours :         we share the track during few laps.   

490 Kit for the 400 series cars...Hmmmmmm 3Eleven with 490 kit, That sounds like a good idea!!!!!

The EX490 kit isn’t available for either the 410 or 430 due to Komotec’s inability to fully crack the later ECU’s, they only offer the EX475 

I am pretty sure it is very drivable, unless you count for limitations in traction :)

It is interesting that they chose to go for the TVS1740 supercharger, which according to official Eaton data sheets is less efficient than the TVS1900. I've however heard that they get better result with the TVS1740, so maybe it is Edelbrock who have made a better job with the flow paths than Harrop?

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/12/2019 at 12:30, #84 said:

I am pretty sure it is very drivable, unless you count for limitations in traction :)

It is interesting that they chose to go for the TVS1740 supercharger, which according to official Eaton data sheets is less efficient than the TVS1900. I've however heard that they get better result with the TVS1740, so maybe it is Edelbrock who have made a better job with the flow paths than Harrop?

Hi @#84, please could you kindly share a link to those official Eaton data sheets that you refer to? Thanks very much!

Yes, the general page is found here:

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/products/engine-solutions/superchargers/tvs-overview.html

And here you find the performance diagrams:

https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/engine-solutions/tvs-r1320.specifications.html

Please be aware of the fact that these new diagrams (mass flow on x-axis) differs in various degree from the old ones (vol flow) which have been published on various Lotus forums in the past. I got this explanation: "the efficiency maps have been changed as Eaton has retested the rotating groups to a more accurate standard which has resulted in the change of maps ".

Thank you @#84! I must confess that I am struggling to understand what exactly those graphs show and how to read them, so any education would be very gratefully received.

Essentially I would like to understand what the pros/cons of the 1320 vs 1740 vs 1900 superchargers are (assuming all would be charge cooled)?

How do you determine what pulley size to run with each supercharger to operate at maximum efficiency?

The 1320 is a bit small to make much more power efficiently, without generating too much heat, the 1900 is more suited to 4.0l plus engines. The 1740 is basically the sweet spot, both in terms of operating efficiency window and packaging with a charge cooler. 

The EX490 kit uses the factory 430 Charger and cooler combined with proprietary intake and headers. 

Hoping to get mine installed in the coming months.....

59 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Quite a lot I would imagine as it is a new supercharger, cooler, intake manifold etc. It's more suited to 410 and 430 cars.

The EX490 kit isn’t available for either the 410 or 430 due to Komotec’s inability to fully crack the later ECU’s, they only offer the EX475 

• Like 1
On 10/01/2020 at 21:58, W31SSN said:

The 1320 is a bit small to make much more power efficiently, without generating too much heat, the 1900 is more suited to 4.0l plus engines. The 1740 is basically the sweet spot, both in terms of operating efficiency window and packaging with a charge cooler. 

The EX490 kit uses the factory 430 Charger and cooler combined with proprietary intake and headers. 

Hoping to get mine installed in the coming months.....

Hi @W31SSN, when you say “the 1900 is more suited to 4.0l plus engines”, why is that? I appreciate that this is what is says on the Eaton website, but what is the actual reason for that? As @#84 says above, the Eaton data sheet maps show that the TVS1900 is actually MORE efficient than the TVS1740, which also seems to be confirmed by SSC. Obviously more parasitic loss with a bigger charger, but that can be combatted with a larger pulley etc. Thanks

• 5 months later...

Has anyone installed the Komo-Tec 490 kit on their V6 Exige?

Curious how it is and any issues that have happened.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy

• 1 month later...

Has anyone yet driven the EX490 Kit? How does the standard V6 gearbox cope with the additional torque (400 NM vs. 535 NM)?

Any issues with the clutch?

thanks!

Phil

16 hours ago, JPI said:

Has anyone yet driven the EX490 Kit? How does the standard V6 gearbox cope with the additional torque (400 NM vs. 535 NM)?

Any issues with the clutch?

thanks!

Phil

I am running similar numbers and I feel like my clutch is right at its limit. I currently have the 400 series clutch, which is the standard clutch with slightly higher clamping load, and it is holding up ok so far. But I have an Xtreme clutch due to arrive next week so that I can replace it immediately if/when it lets go!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/08/2020 at 16:05, Mattmahope said:

I am running similar numbers and I feel like my clutch is right at its limit. I currently have the 400 series clutch, which is the standard clutch with slightly higher clamping load, and it is holding up ok so far. But I have an Xtreme clutch due to arrive next week so that I can replace it immediately if/when it lets go!

Thanks for the feedback Mattmahope...will look into a clutch upgrade in either case!