free hit
counters
Common parts between the rear and front suspension? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Peegee355

Common parts between the rear and front suspension?

Had a knocking noise from the front of my UK 2016 Evora 400.  A nearside front suspension arm was replaced under warranty and all was quiet.  But now, out of warranty but just 1,000 miles later, I'm getting a very similar noise from the rear on the car on the same side.

Getting it checked very soon by the dealer but arming myself to see if I can get it fixed without charge.  Does the front and rear suspension share common parts? If so I could argue it was a bad batch so if they replaced one they could replace the other (worth a try?)

Edited by Peegee355

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You can have a look on www.deroure.com and check the part numbers. Might be the wishbone bushes?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

7 minutes ago, Bibs said:

You can have a look on www.deroure.com and check the part numbers. Might be the wishbone bushes?

Thanks for the link - nothing obvious in common there.  Car is going in tomorrow (17th Dec) so will update after that.

• Like 2

Mechanic reckons it's the shock absorber failing and needs replacing.  I've asked them to involve Lotus to see if they can goodwill it as the car is just a few months out of warranty and just 400 miles since the suspension arm was replaced in that same corner.  Do have a concern that parts are being replaced randomly to see what fixes the problem, or, there is an underlying problem that is causing parts to fail.  We will see . . .

Anybody know what the consumer rights are regarding warranty work that wasn't fixed properly first time round and now require further work but warranty has expired?

I would say its reasonable to suggest the work wasn't completed to a satisfactory quality and this further issue is related and should be fixed as part of the warranty work.

Citizens Advice say https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/    What I'm not sure on is whether there is a difference between buying a whole item (a car, a TV) or a part for a whole item.  Also the difference between parts and a service.

It's easier within the first 6 months as you don't have to prove who/why it broke - but - if it was sold with a defect then you can legally claim many years afterwards - but it will be obviously become difficult to prove: "Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. My rights have been breached because the item you sold me is faulty. I would like a refund/repair/replacement."

Just found this: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/buying-or-repairing-a-car/problems-with-a-car-repair/

So the law is behind the consumer when getting a car repair done - but proving who is at fault is hard work.

Edited by Peegee355