free hit
counters
A Year In - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mayevora

A Year In

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That was a fun drive down! There were times the only way to see puddles was the change in reflection of the lights of the car in front it was raining that hard! Lucky I didn't end up at the wrong airport on the way home or anything too :lol:

On 17/12/2019 at 12:26, mayevora said:

get out and drive it

:thumbup:

• Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Lovely looking car, looks fantastic in Red. I was deliberating adding the sharks fin to mine but I have PPF up the sides so never looked into it further as I'd need to remove the ppf first. These Evora's really are wonderful ownership propositions, I've also owned mine a year with NO costs (other than re-trimming the steering wheel but that was by choice rather than necessity). Service and MOT was picked up by B&C as part of purchase deal so it's literally cost me nothing other than fuel. Probably jinxed it now....

Edited by paranoidandroid
  • Like 2

Likewise, the S1 in the Ardent Red? are some of the best looking ones, and shark fins are tempting but I also have (yellowing) PPF on the sides, so somewhat deterred by the prospect of removing that first.

• Like 1

Also had mine a year, as of 6th Dec, although unlike the OP and @paranoidandroid I haven't exactly had no costs...…..from memory:

- £120 - for a sensor change as sport mode wouldn't stay on

- £1k - for new clutch slave and master cylinders with associated fluids

- £4k - for new clutch and flywheel

Currently experiencing engine management light issues with the code indicating bank 1 is running lean, so the above sum will grow in the new year as we throw parts at it to see what the problem may be, starting with the cheapest...….

Known costs when I bought it but also to add to the total are: 4 x MPS4S (c.£800), 2 x insurance policies (£1.2k) and 2 x road tax (£1.1k).

Expensive year but I still love it...……...

2 hours ago, Gareth44 said:

Also had mine a year, as of 6th Dec, although unlike the OP and @paranoidandroid I haven't exactly had no costs...…..from memory:

- £120 - for a sensor change as sport mode wouldn't stay on

- £1k - for new clutch slave and master cylinders with associated fluids

- £4k - for new clutch and flywheel

Currently experiencing engine management light issues with the code indicating bank 1 is running lean, so the above sum will grow in the new year as we throw parts at it to see what the problem may be, starting with the cheapest...….

Known costs when I bought it but also to add to the total are: 4 x MPS4S (c.£800), 2 x insurance policies (£1.2k) and 2 x road tax (£1.1k).

Expensive year but I still love it...……...

Wow, kinda makes me glad I have an IPS, hope you get the running lean sorted soon. Your insurance looks very pricey as well, think mine is around £300 but I am an old git at 47. 

Noticed you are in Reading, not far from me if you fancy a meet up when the weather is a bit better?

A shame you had those costs. I assume that was a private purchase...I decided to go via dealer, Bell and Colvill. I probably paid 2K over a private purchase but had one year totally comprehensive warranty, which covered various minor niggles including new rear view camera. And all future MOTs are free via B&C. 

On balance, well worth it. 

Justin 

11 hours ago, Bruss said:

Red ones are nice when you're a yoof

That makes me feel a lot better 😁👍

Helps keep my boyish good looks in check until I see the slightest sign of a wrinkle or grey hair. ....... Oh, wait a minute! 😜

• Haha 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Re. the above comments and those on the warranty thread, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I'd been looking for about 6 months for the right spec (SR, manual, S, one of a few colours etc.), this one came up privately and I got excited with money to burn!

As one poster commented, I did set up a 'Lotus Account' for such future costs (as the clutch was on 30k miles when I bought it) which has obviously been immediately decimated and now rebuilt, so it doesn't feel quite like spending real money 🙂

@paranoidandroid On the insurance, I'm 41 but don't have a garage, wife is under 40 c.£600 a year was the best I could get in Reading, which is about what I expected but £300 for you sounds excellent! Be good to meet when it's not so biblical outside, I've never met an Evora owner in real life!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gareth44 said:

As one poster commented, I did set up a 'Lotus Account' for such future costs (as the clutch was on 30k miles when I bought it) which has obviously been immediately decimated and now rebuilt, so it doesn't feel quite like spending real money

That is the perfect attitude to owning any unnecessary fun car. If you worry and begrudge maintenance spend, you just end up spoiling the thrill of ownership. 

Always buy the fun car you can afford to run. Be it a hot hatch, sports car, supercar or classic. 

Justin 

• Like 2

I've had a similarly low running cost experience over my 8 years of Evora ownership.  Servicing, consumables, tax, insurance all in line with expectations and (touch wood) no nasty surprises so far.  The only problem has been a failed starter motor which Lotus replaced FOC despite it being outside warranty.  I've got a fund stashed away for possible emergencies such as clutch, and am expecting a slightly bigger bill next year for disc replacement.

@Gareth44 and @paranoidandroid if you fancy an hour's run over to Guildford you're very welcome to join our monthly Sunday breakfast meetings at Newlands Corner (not far from B&C) https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/437-topics/