free hit
counters
Alfa Romeo 4C - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Can anybody chime in re: the Alfa Romeo 4C.

crossed my mind to trade-in my Evora for the 4C. I am only concerned about handling. I know these are two different class/weight of cars, just asking for thoughts and inputs regarding handling.

Thanks

Edited by phenoyz

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've driven 3x 4C's as I was seriously thinking of buying one a couple of years ago, even one that had been owned by Gordon Murray, I haven't driven a spider. The 4C is a modern version of an Eli

The name reflects the route I took after test driving a couple of 4Cs. I've always had at least one Alfa of some description on my driveway for the past 30+ years. Sadly, the 4C was not be one of

I can remember a german car that had a too short wheelbase, an engine that was placed wrongly in the back and had lack of seat support, fragile cylinders and gearbox, and that wanted to kill you at ev

• Gold FFM

They stopped making the 4C 'cos they could not sell it. I assume you will drive a 4c before doing a switch. I would very surprised if the 4c can match the Evora for ride quality, steering feel and handling. It may be better in other areas (?) but frankly, who cares? 😁

Justin

I almost bought one before the Evora.

It's basically an Elise that doesn't drive as well - I understand that even with the chassis fixes they're not brilliant, but very much has that italian flair. I think there are far worse places to put your money at the moment, I expect the residuals to remain strong - quirky, rare, italian.....all the right ingredients for a future classic.

I've driven 3x 4C's as I was seriously thinking of buying one a couple of years ago, even one that had been owned by Gordon Murray, I haven't driven a spider.

The 4C is a modern version of an Elise but dynamically not as good, the 4C is a bit easier to enter/exit but refinement is p*** poor, the carbon does nothing for the NVH. I have an Exige V6 Cup, and the noise in a 4C I would say is louder and not as pleasant sounding as the V6.

If you buy one you must get the Alfaworks suspension kit developed by Jamie Porter, without that the car will try and throw you off the road and kill you as they react to every road imperfection, camber, road surface etc they are seriously bad in standard form, require full concentration at all times and both hands on the wheel, I would not be comfortable driving at high speed, they really are that bad.

I'm an Alfa nut, had 3 but I decided against the 4C due to the above as I didn't find them an enjoyable drive, I love the look of the 4C, the idea of carbon, the rareness but there are very few positives, there's a big difference between a 4C and Evora.

• Like 2

I can remember a german car that had a too short wheelbase, an engine that was placed wrongly in the back and had lack of seat support, fragile cylinders and gearbox, and that wanted to kill you at every turn of the road.

It seemed to sell pretty well after all.

I'd take a 4c with a few parts to redeem it's quirks over a german chaos car, any day.

Kind regards,

jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

On 18/12/2019 at 12:02, MattyB said:

I expect the residuals to remain strong - quirky, rare, italian.....all the right ingredients for a future classic.

Why did you have to say these .... :popo:.............Hehe just Joking:P .....

Spoiler

• Gold FFM
On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 03:32, DaveyT said:

@Alfa2Evora may be able to help.

The name gives his bias away though 🤣

The name reflects the route I took after test driving a couple of 4Cs.

I've always had at least one Alfa of some description on my driveway for the past 30+ years. Sadly, the 4C was not be one of them - I just couldn't live with the wayward handling and ponderous gearbox, not to mention the irritating engine/exhaust noise. Yes, I know, do some research and throw some cash at these problems and you can make at least some of them go away, but I'm at that time of life where I want something to perform 'straight out of the box' rather than me having to spend time and money finishing off the development work that should have been completed before it left the factory.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2019 at 09:39, jep said:

They stopped making the 4C 'cos they could not sell it. I assume you will drive a 4c before doing a switch. I would very surprised if the 4c can match the Evora for ride quality, steering feel and handling. It may be better in other areas (?) but frankly, who cares? 😁

Justin

They stopped production because of omologation.

They couldn't do them anymore 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Ratman said:
On 18/12/2019 at 08:39, jep said:

They stopped production because of omologation

Really? Please educate me. What homologation issues? The car launched in 2013, so I find it strange it would not be compliant to regulations after such a short time. 

From what I have read, it was axed due to poor sales and the need for the parent company to re-align Alfa-Romeo in the market place. More SUVs and 'city cars'. 

Perhaps FCA have realised that the Alfa and Fiat names (124 is a sales dog compared to its MX-5 cousin) can no longer sustain outright sports cars. Abarth seems to do OK with the 500 but 2 seat sports cars don't seem to do the business for FCA these days (er, unless from Maranello).

Justin

They homologated the car for a short series (easier to achieve), they reached the max production numbers so the car is out of the line. 

They produced the car as icon, not for make money, the wanted to help sales of the series cars like the Giulia and Stelvio

• Gold FFM

Sounds like spin to me; which given the cars handling, seems appropriate.

Justin 

• Love 1

The most disappointing test drive of my life. One of the prettiest cars on the road, shame it can’t hold it. It’s fast but fundamentally flawed for all the reasons stated above. 

I wanted a 4C when they were introduced....badly!  I never acted on that desire and to be honest, after driving them both (local dealer is an Alfa franchisee as well as Lotus), there's no way I would swap a newer Evora for the Alfa.  To be fair, they are not in the same price category  so I think, at least in the USA,  if you're looking for one, you're probably not in the market for the other.  The real competition for the Evora here is not the 4C.....you know what that car is!   The C8 is carving every other mid engined sports car a new orifice.  

Now, were I hot for a 4C and I had an English/European address, I'd likely buy an Alpine instead.  Given the biases of our forum, I wish I could  say I'd buy an Elise but I think the Alpine might suit me better  as I generally prefer coupes.  But given the choice I'd have an Evora (and I do) over any of those.   Jury regarding the Corvette is still out for me, but obviously the equation is different in the Olde Country.  

'17 Evora 400 MT