free hit
counters
Alunox Group Buy: Manifolds, Exhausts and Charge coolers - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Alunox Group Buy: Manifolds, Exhausts and Charge coolers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting a thread highlighting some of the work that goes into the manifolds for those of you that might be interested!  

We can offer an N/A manifold for £650 and we are happy to add these into the group buy, I will update the first post accordingly. The price for the remaining system will stay the same.  Just to e

Good Morning Everyone, We have updated people where possible by email but in the nature of transparency I thought an update was in order. We are struggling to send all the completed orders.

Posted Images

Hi,

Thank you all for your orders so far, we are going to close the group buy at the end of the month, as such I would encourage anyone else intered to please get in touch ASAP.

Realistically I can't see us doing another group buy until next year so don't miss out on some great savings!

Thanks again for all the orders and support!

All the best, Ben 

We installed the Aulnox system on our Turbo and it's very very nicely made and will probably never wear out. The welds are beautiful and the fit was pretty good. Took some fettling to get onto the engine because we did it "engine in car".  Here's an interesting video of unlocking power with better exhaust; 

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/baby-got-back-turbo-exhaust-size-comparison-test/

You will not regret this purchase.

Jon

• Like 2

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

On 23/04/2020 at 17:22, jcslocum said:

We installed the Aulnox system on our Turbo and it's very very nicely made and will probably never wear out. The welds are beautiful and the fit was pretty good. Took some fettling to get onto the engine because we did it "engine in car".  Here's an interesting video of unlocking power with better exhaust; 

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/dyno-testing/baby-got-back-turbo-exhaust-size-comparison-test/

Jon

Appprciate the post Jon, all the best! Ben

On 23/04/2020 at 18:22, jcslocum said:

Jon

Hi Jon

May I ask why you made the change to the Alunox system. I guess it is with 2.5" rear system?

Did you install this on a standard engine configuration?

Did this exhaust system change the engine drivability; do you experience any performance gain?

Thanks, Lars

Simply by changing the exhaust manifold you will notice a distinct difference in response and turbo spool. Believe others have proved a 15-20bhp gain as well.

• Like 1

Only here once

Few photos to whet people's appetites! I hope to start boxing up the first few orders tomorrow.

There's only a few days left so anyone that wants to take advantage of the discounts please let me know ASAP.

Ben 

IMG_20200426_105049_553.jpg

IMG-20200421-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200424-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200425-WA0000.jpg

• Thanks 1
On 27/04/2020 at 14:08, Barrykearley said:

Simply by changing the exhaust manifold you will notice a distinct difference in response and turbo spool. Believe others have proved a 15-20bhp gain as well.

Response was actually one of my Concerns, but rather thy the boost would come in earlier due to larger diameter primaries.

But do reads your reply as a quicker spool up time?

Turbo will spool up earlier in the rpm range - and it feel a lot more responsive because of this as it delivers through the rpm range 

Only here once

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Turbo will spool up earlier in the rpm range - and it feel a lot more responsive because of this as it delivers through the rpm range 

Sorry for my previous cryptic reply!

What is was trying to say is, that a smaller diameter runner should result in better response, earlier spool up. Rather than a manifold with larger diameter.

But if the general experience with this setup is vise versa; thats just great.

Hej Lars,

Nej, en større afgang på en turbo motor kan give mere effekt. Det sker bl.a. ved at den forbrændte gas kan komme hurtigere væk fra topstykket. I modsætning til en sugemotor, som er mere afhængig af et vist modtryk. Der er lige lavet en video på flutube om en amerikaner v8 som er tunet, turbo o.s.v. Og den får større og større afgang - mere og mere effekt. Jeg har selv en alunox bananmanifod på min SE, og den giver tidligere og bedre (hurtigere) spool up, mere effekt og mere bundtræk. Når det så er sagt, passer den bedst sammen med nogle andre modifikationer, så som turbo, større indsugning, chip o.s.v.  hvis man ønsker dette. Sådan som jeg har forstået det, skulle denne nyeste model være en lille smule bedre endnu. Men jeg har ikke set nogen sammenlignelige data endnu. Det holder folk tæt ind til kroppen.

Hi Lars,

I've got one of those alunox tubular exhaust manifolds, and it's different on a turbo engine compared to a n/a engine. I just saw a video on flutube on a turbo tuned american v8, and it developed more and more hp, with a bigger and bigger exhaust system, going from 3-3,5-4" and then finally a short really fat tube (race only).

It developed seriously many hp for each increase. I realise that there are other factors, and the alunox exhaust manifold work better with some other points of interest, such as bigger turbo, chip, injectors, porting etc. It's a sumarize of many small things than make greater result.

Just my two P.

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Hi Jacques & Barry

I do recon the Alunox exhaust as a master piece. And not just looking good. My 84 engine has forged pistons, CAC, efi and a new GTX3071R turbo. Further the gearbox has been on a tour via Harry Martens. I havent runned this setup witn the cast iron manifold, but do not think that this is a bad manifold.

But kind of figure that the existing exhaust is a limiting factor. At least the rear part. Here I want to go for a 3". I saw the video of that V8 turbo testing exhaust dimensions, but believe that this test was more in a quest for most output. Though I did notice that the torque were also elevated. Naturally I am going for more output as well, but wont trade in for low end  torque and drivability. So glad to hear that your do not experience this with the alunox setup. Can be due to better tuned equal length runners 4-2, less sharp bends and smoother inner surface.

Thanks for your input.

Lars

On 27/04/2020 at 04:22, naasaa said:

Hi Jon

May I ask why you made the change to the Alunox system. I guess it is with 2.5" rear system?

Did you install this on a standard engine configuration?

Did this exhaust system change the engine drivability; do you experience any performance gain?

Thanks, Lars

Lars,

We had the old cast iron unit that was off when I bought the car with the engine in pieces. Knowing that turbos react well to advanced exhaust systems, I knew this would be an excellent upgrade, as well as to not have to worry about the cast unit cracking. The better flow from the headers of equal length makes the turbo more responsive and spool up faster and with more immediate effect, as has been written by others. We just bought the header and my daughter fabricated the rest of the system in 3"  for max flow.  

The engine in my car is very responsive with to me, zero lag. I do think it has added power  and less heat in the engine bay as an added benefit.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_3069 crop.jpg

IMG_3066.JPG

Edited by jcslocum

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

53 minutes ago, jcslocum said:

Hi Jon

Thanks for your comment.

Seen the work you and your daughter have done.

Looks really nice.

Think that I will be going for a full 3" Alunox system.

Lars

On 29/04/2020 at 17:56, jcslocum said:

Lars,

We had the old cast iron unit that was off when I bought the car with the engine in pieces. Knowing that turbos react well to advanced exhaust systems, I knew this would be an excellent upgrade, as well as to not have to worry about the cast unit cracking. The better flow from the headers of equal length makes the turbo more responsive and spool up faster and with more immediate effect, as has been written by others. We just bought the header and my daughter fabricated the rest of the system in 3"  for max flow.  

The engine in my car is very responsive with to me, zero lag. I do think it has added power  and less heat in the engine bay as an added benefit.

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_3069 crop.jpg

IMG_3066.JPG

Hi Jon

Which kind of silencer did you use?

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Everyone,

We have updated people where possible by email but in the nature of transparency I thought an update was in order.

We are struggling to send all the completed orders. We have a lot of supply chain issues currently affecting both us and the rest of the world. This is entirely out of our control, orders that were placed weeks and weeks ago still have not been received (boxes, packaging materials etc). I realise this must be frustrating for people that have already paid but we have all worked very hard to get the orders finished despite the current global crisis we are all facing. The last thing we want is goods to be damaged in transit, given the massive backlog and issues surrounding logistics companies at the moment it's even more important that items are securely packaged. We have sent half of the orders placed with the materials we already had on site, the rest will leave as soon as the items we require have arrived. These have been re-sent by our supplier but I fear that has only helped overload an already overloaded infrastructure. 

Please rest assured we are doing what we can!

Stay safe, 

Ben 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right! FINALLY in a position to get the remaining orders boxed up for shipping.

I cannot apologise enough for the delays, but as previously stated it's been out of our hands. Those still waiting please keep an eye on your emails for shipping invoices.

Cheers, Ben 

• Like 1

Good Morning,

I just thought it was worth also mentioning that when you fit these you

will have to jiggle them about a bit. Because of the slip joints the primaries

do move about as you are trying to fit, it may seem the flanges are not

aligning properly... This is not the case. You may need to flex/twist the odd

primary a bit to allow it to go over the studs but this is fine. Locate them one at a 

time with a couple of nuts to hold in place when all on, pull up level and in sequence.

Do not disassemble the slip joints to do this.

Once the first heat cycle has gone through the system things will relax into position,

It can then be re torqued and checked.

This is a tight and fiddly job to do so be prepared to take your time.

Always check your stud length and fitting kits first as the flanges are thinner than 

the original cast.

Just to reiterate, DO NOT separate the slip joints from the collectors, it's fine to take the tabs off and let them move left to right, but please don't be tempted to take them out of the collectors. 

Many thanks!

Collector.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bibs unpinned this topic