free hit
counters
Wheel Refurbishment - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Wheel Refurbishment

I pressure washed my front wheels on Saturday, and this happened. There had been patches of this around the old wheel weight site (dark patch) but a load more flaked off when the water hit it.

760575722_3ffc5aab29.jpg

Is it best to have this done at an alloy wheel refurbishment place (are there any places?), or can I do something about this myself? All comments and recommendations gratefully received....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take them to a proper wheel furb place, you will get a much better result it you do.

Doesn't cost too much and you can also get the rims sorted and any dents etc fixed.

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

I would take them to a proper wheel furb place, you will get a much better result it you do.

Doesn't cost too much and you can also get the rims sorted and any dents etc fixed.

Hilly

I've just read through Shane's post in the restoration room where he did his wheels, and I think you are right. 15 hours per wheel...thats 32 hours for both of the fronts. Thats a chunk of time I can spend doing other stuff....

Yellow pages here I come.

Mine looked the same at one stage...

I had a go polishing them myself and the results ain't bad...

garage_gallery-110-1145872775_thumb.jpg

Took me a while, and quite a few beers / rim, but sad git that I am, it was sort of enjoyable :)

I had mine done by a company called BJV engerneering. That was to have then sorted and diamond cut back to speck and then painted with the gold centers.

Cost all in was about

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

Thanks for the 'Heads Up' on BJV both :)

Bl**dy hell - good prices - cheaper than I thought - and not far from my neck of the woods...

Suspect I may have to avail myself of the Drive In service sometime in the future...

Looks like they do bike wheels as well :)

Edited by Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

Thanks for the 'Heads Up' on BJV both :)

Bl**dy hell - good prices - cheaper than I thought - and not far from my neck of the woods...

Two recommendations

Those prices are great. I've been comparing the local boy racer stuff available and BJV are much lower. Its still cheaper for me to make two trips down the M1 with all 4 wheels at that price :)

This company is very good, but a bit of a trek for you. http://www.jppolishing.co.uk

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I had a set of damaged alloys that I simply ran over to a machine shop and had them turned on the lathe to remove a few thou off the surface to remove the damage, and then run some emery over them to make them ready for polishing.. cost me

Edited by f1karting

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

But what about the bolt holes?

On my S2 wheels, the alloy is quite soft and the holes seem to have been opened larger by some over tightening in the past. Instead of a nice round counter-sunk edge, the holes are taking on a hex shape!

I was told once that you can have steel inserts put in, but I haven't found anywhere yet that does this. All of the wheel referb places I've tried all said the same thing, they couldn't do anything with them, they would only fix curbing, polish and paint. I'm guessing I've got to take them to a metal worker first.

Any info appreciated

Cheers