free hit
counters
Car insurance - Deja Vu - Lotus Insurance - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Car insurance - Deja Vu

Heralded by the renewal which those nice chaps at LV e-mailed me, the car insurance is due on my Ford Focus,

Last year, it was £330. Brand new car at the time, that was the best quote I could achieve. This year's renewal, with no change in circumstances whatsoever, apart from both drivers being another year older and the car worth about 60% of what it was a year ago - £360. Even taking inflation into account, that's a whopping increase. And of course in the hope I'll forget about it, it will automatically renew on the due date unless I do something about it.

I have yet to call LV, but will do so in a few day's time. My guess is that explanation for the increase will be due, as per usual, to last year's price being an 'introductory discount'. I've already trawled around for other quotes, the best of which was Lloyds at £220. Ironically, LV came in second, at £223.

No, I don't know what's going on either, but I smell a very large rat, and the word 'scam' springs to mind. This is a prime example of how you should always shop around, every year ANY insurance is due. Direct Line played the same trick with my house insurance for years, and no doubt they all do.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never, ever autorenew.  The best entertainment at this point is to call LV and ask them to justify the difference.  Always an amusing distraction.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I had the same thing with Hastings on the XJ this year. Had the car 2 years, renewal came through in August at £380 but on all the comparison sites Hastings we cheapest although bizarrely not at the same price each time... I cancelled renewal of the old policy and took out a fresh one at £250 for the exact same cover.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM

AA cover the same. Goes up 40% every year. One phone call, down it comes. Though this year I had to reject the first offer and got a better one after they conferred with 'a manager'. I suspect if I lapsed it and started again, it would be even cheaper.

Justin 

12 minutes ago, jep said:

AA cover the same. Goes up 40% every year. One phone call, down it comes. Though this year I had to reject the first offer and got a better one after they conferred with 'a manager'. I suspect if I lapsed it and started again, it would be even cheaper.

Justin 

It’s well worth doing that, and taking advantage of the ‘introductory offers’ from other insurers. They’ll bend over backwards to get you signed up, and then the inexorable process of edging your premiums up year on year commences with your next renewal. I’ve never had a renewal that cost less than the previous year, and shopping around has proved to be the way to go for me.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

It’s the subject of a citizens advice bureau “super complaint” and as a whole the insurance market has moved away from dual pricing, or at least it is much less than it used to be. Still worth benchmarking your premiums though.

The complaint also included briadband suppliers, but if anything they are getting worse until it gets legislated, Virgin (if you can find someone who even knows about it) even deny it is dual pricing based on semantics.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• Gold FFM

AA was roadside assistance etc... I was referring to. I have their European cover also, which covers vehicles any age and for multiple claims per trip, which RAC do not and nor do many others. Read the small print of any European breakdown cover. RAC is one claim per trip, so if you have an issue day 1 of your trip, you ain't covered for the rest of that trip to Europe. Bonkers. 

GEM are probably best value for UK breakdown cover for comprehensive policy at fair value.

On car insurance, I use Admiral multicar for the Renaults. I looked at LV but read the small print...you can only have drivers who live at the same address. A call every year reduces the renewal quote.

Our work banger, a 2006 Focus, the renewal price fell this year with Admiral. A phone call reduced this another 20%.

Justin 

If they can't give me their best quote first time I won't use them. But I see do use their revised quote to get the best quote from others

hindsight: the science that is never wrong