free hit
counters
Adjusting boot closure - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Spanky3

Adjusting boot closure

Evening all,

My boot had a slight leak because the boot lid wasn't sitting tightly against the rubber seal.  I've fixed the leak by screwing the two rubber stoppers on each corner in slightly so the boot lid sits tighter against the seal but now the boot won't pop open when I press the button.  It does open if I pull up on the spoiler while I press the button. 

Is there a way to realign the catch after I've adjusted the two twisty stopper things or some magic way to align everything?

Thanks..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There are adjuster bolts on the catch, but i found if you adjust it, even if it works fine, check again after 10 mins as it can settle. It takes time but possible. 

I am sure my infamous boot leaks are due to boot hinge alignment issues ?

i am going to pop a smoke bomb in my boot and look at where the smoke leaks out to gauge what is the root cause of my leaks ? 
I had the boot stoppers adjusted and I recall the hinges when the car was serviced last year at Central Lotus but to no avail it’s still leaking 

There’s a vent pipe between the cabin and the boot, so if you use a smoke device it’s likely it’ll also get into the cabin. Have a look at item 2 below:

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=12675&MAK=1&MDL=20&SMA=1&SMO=0&ST=centre&SC=0

Have you tried applying chalk to the rubber to see where no contact is Being made with the boot lid?

2 hours ago, Ledlights said:

There’s a vent pipe between the cabin and the boot, so if you use a smoke device it’s likely it’ll also get into the cabin. Have a look at item 2 below:

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=12675&MAK=1&MDL=20&SMA=1&SMO=0&ST=centre&SC=0

Have you tried applying chalk to the rubber to see where no contact is Being made with the boot lid?

I had Bibs and Andy trying that when we had the lotus day at Duxford I recall 

I don’t want the smoke to get into the cabin so might have to rethink the smoke test approach 

How about taping a long strip of paper to the inside lip if the boot before hosing down the tailgate? The wet paper should indicate where the gap is... Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Ledlights said:

How about taping a long strip of paper to the inside lip if the boot before hosing down the tailgate? The wet paper should indicate where the gap is... Just a thought.

Good one might use that as plan B ?

my son think if we block off the vent then only need a couple of minutes of smoke should be able to tell where the smoke is escaping from all the tailgate edges ? 
I am driving home today from in laws so with good weather predicted on Monday will experiment ? 
still think I need to replace the boot seal but don’t know if there’s a specific size or is it standard 

seen a few on eBay at metre lengths I couldn’t get from local Parker’s car part depot they told me eBay was best 

6 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

still think I need to replace the boot seal but don’t know if there’s a specific size or is it standard 

seen a few on eBay at metre lengths I couldn’t get from local Parker’s car part depot they told me eBay was best 

The Lotus part B132U0035F(?) is £14.70 on Deroure.

I think I sorted mine today.  Clue that it was not fitting tightly to the seal was that after heavy rain the top face of the rubber seal was visibly wet on the offside side of the boot only.

I started off by screwing the rubber stoppers fully in so that they were out of the equation,  dried off the seal and wiped some wd40 on the underside of the boot lid so I could see where it touched the seal.  Quick check confirmed the leak so I slackened off the two 8mm bolts on the strike plate and moved it down a few mm.  A bit of trial and error later and the seal was touching and the boot still popped open on the button. To finish I screwed the stoppers back out a bit at a time, pushing on each corner of the boot lid to check when they were just far enough out to stop the boot lid flopping about.  I washed the car after and nothing got in so fingers crossed.  Now I just need to work out why the passenger footwell is leaking but that can wait for another thread.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spanky3 said:

Now I just need to work out why the passenger footwell is leaking but that can wait for another thread.

:thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Thanks Bibs.. I took the carpets out last week and despite heavy rain since, the inside is dry which points to the condensate issue as in that post you linked to. Except the car is a 2013 so AFAIK it shouldn't have the valves on the drain hose and shouldn't block.  I'll investigate anyway and report back on another post.....