Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AiM Digital Dash - Owner Feedback & Tips - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

AiM Digital Dash - Owner Feedback & Tips

Have any of you who are already using this dash noticed by chance that, with clear / sun light, there could be reflections from the steering wheel or hand / fingers on the front of the dash ?

if yes, can it be annoying ?

Edited by NANO

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Some thoughts on the dash after trying it out today....

1) cant see the shift lights.

2) can’t see the indicators.

3) Gear indicator seems to get lost a bit when changing gear.

4) GPS... although picking up satellites does not give a location.

5) Digital mode. RPMs as mentioned by others does not have resolution at the bottom of the Rev range , for sure needs a smaller span.

6) The graphics are “fine print” if you get my drift. Perhaps a bit chunkier so you don’t have to look as hard.

7) will how it performs when I get some extra sensors.

Im 6’ 1” tall so that my explain points 1 and 2, not sure I can live with that. Gear selection may just be me getting used to it. GPS I haven’t a clue.

All the above just my humble opinion of course.

cheers

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

AIM answers:

A customer of mine installed the MX2E in his Lotus Exige s 350 from 2013.

He wants a rear mirror camera and is wondering how it will be activated. Does the MX2E has the reverse lights as input? So will it be activated when in reverse? It is not in the manual how.

Please, look at “par 4.3 Reverse Camera” of the manual:

if sequential gear is chosen rear camera appears when reverse is engaged, if manual gear is chosen button on steering column needs to be pressed

Also he would like to add oilpressure and oiltemperature on Channel Expansion. How to put in the display? Will there be in the future a ‘custom’ layout possible?

The dashboard illumination does not work anymore after installing the MX2E kit.

As usual, despite all our efforts for testing everything, some features in the P&P systems remain undiscovered till when the product is not used by tenths/hundredths of customers. The Heater Control panel enlighting is one of them. Next hardware release will fix it.

My customer is furthermore quite active on the Lotus UK forum and he made a total list of questions people made there. Maybe you have already noticed some or AIM UK is.   

Issues written on Lotus Forum:

- Ability to change rev limit from 9K to 8K (or to 7.5K, to make even better usage of the screen width)

developed in accordance with Lotus Cars UK. May be they have been too prudential

- Tell tale light for Cruise Control (use space from second "dipped lights on")

• Already developed and actually in internal test. Available in next firmware release ( next week)

- Real time view of sensor information on dash

• Next sw/fw release will allow to add a channel expansion and show up to four channels in the circular RPM TFT page

- Airbag delete light setting option (Ok on Cup cars)

• Right. We will face it in the End of March release.

- Option for Carbon Binnacle

• We are evaluating it. Unfortunately, as you may imagine, it would be really expensive

- Option for Alcantara Binnacle (with same Alcantara as 410/430 vent surrounds which are just next to the binnacle, without stitch, or with option to choose stitch color to mimic each car's configuration)

- Why two lights for "dipped lights on" only one needed

• In some countries, some TFT information are to be duplicated in the LEDs. In case the TFT breaks (!) the LEDs remain active

- All warning lights are visible in grey - would be better blacked out until illuminated

• developed in accordance with Lotus Cars UK

- Screen seen flickering at times. (Race button flickering, RPM display flickering and showing false information, letters flickering)

• This is a problem that has very sporadically happened on a limited number of boards of the first production. We have to substitute the board

- Remove numeric rpm from analogue display - it is distracting

• Yes, too many digits. We will modify it

- A red theme - possibly instead of the purple/pink, I haven't seen many cars where that combo would be an obvious choice.

• You don’t live in California!

- A Green Theme for the displays. The white and pink schemes are a bit “meh” Even better a user selectable colour scheme.

- Too much black and wasted space on the displays.

• If you like to send us a different, and better drawing, we are absolutely open to improve our proposal. Please, don’t forget you have to use the available information on Not-Racing cars.

- On the digital RPM page the actual bars relating to RPMs should be thicker or continuous as per AIM’s other models. (GARW has a better RPM scale)

• !

- Engine Oil Pressure should be “selectable” I’d displayed or not. Lots of room on digital display.

- Engine Oil  Temperature should be “selectable” if displayed or not. Lots of room on digital display.

- Gearbox Oil Temperature should be “selectable” if displayed or not. Lots of room on digital display.

- Lambda value should be “selectable” if displayed or not. Lots of room on digital display.

• Next sw / fw release will give you the possibility to add four information. Of course, you need a channel expansion for connecting the sensors.

- Prefer a larger “Indicated Speed Value” than “current gear” on non race screens.

• Which fw rel do you have?

- Remote button option ( makes covering binnacle easier and more OEM ) 

• This is not clear to me. Where would you install remote buttons? Please, don’t forget the installation is supposed to be very easy and fast.

Specific for Auto 

- "Gear" alarm ( for TCU ) 

• This is not clear to me

-  Beep or alarm for "you cant do that stupid"

• Is it a joke? J

37 minutes ago, Jeroenvg said:

- Ability to change rev limit from 9K to 8K (or to 7.5K, to make even better usage of the screen width)

developed in accordance with Lotus Cars UK. May be they have been too prudential

So please be less prudential 🙃

- Remote button option ( makes covering binnacle easier and more OEM ) 

• This is not clear to me. Where would you install remote buttons? Please, don’t forget the installation is supposed to be very easy and fast.
    • In the lower column shroud - I guess more the point is can the usual momentry type buttons be used - if yes then I can sort it myself

Specific for Auto 

- "Gear" alarm ( for TCU ) 

• This is not clear to me
    • There is a TCU alarm on Automatics ( its a gear shaped Icon on the Lotus display ) - needs to be duplicated on Aim in case of a TCU fault - otherwise how do you know ?

-  Beep or alarm for "you cant do that stupid"

• Is it a joke J
    • NO there is a warning if you try and select a gear or make an action that is not allowed - it results in "!" on the display and a beep 

Fix that and you sell one one display 😉

On 08/03/2020 at 17:03, Mark030358 said:

Some thoughts on the dash after trying it out today....

1) cant see the shift lights.

2) can’t see the indicators.

3) Gear indicator seems to get lost a bit when changing gear.

4) GPS... although picking up satellites does not give a location.

5) Digital mode. RPMs as mentioned by others does not have resolution at the bottom of the Rev range , for sure needs a smaller span.

6) The graphics are “fine print” if you get my drift. Perhaps a bit chunkier so you don’t have to look as hard.

7) will how it performs when I get some extra sensors.

Im 6’ 1” tall so that my explain points 1 and 2, not sure I can live with that. Gear selection may just be me getting used to it. GPS I haven’t a clue.

All the above just my humble opinion of course.

cheers

1. and 2. are fine for me, as you say, it will be driver dependant. Having now used it on track, the shift lights become pretty much your primary reference as they're very brights so are clear in your (my) peripheral vision.  Unsure how you can improve your situation without some drastic hardware changes 😞

3. Works seamlessly here but would need a swift change as it's computed on engine speed and vehicle speed, so if the 'dwell' time as you clutch-in is long, it will just get lost.

4. It will only display a location when it can confirm you're at a circuit it recognises from the database. It doesn't give an arbitrary location based on where the vehicle is in general.

Edited by Arun_D

Just in the process of adding some additional sensors to the Elise, So once i update the software i will let you know what they look like on the AIM dash

GPS is on there to support track times, It was never intended to give locations (other than the track name) The software doesn't have mapping like a sat nav etc etc.

Edited by Seriouslylotus

On 18/03/2020 at 12:48, Seriouslylotus said:

Just in the process of adding some additional sensors to the Elise, So once i update the software i will let you know what they look like on the AIM dash

GPS is on there to support track times, It was never intended to give locations (other than the track name) The software doesn't have mapping like a sat nav etc etc.

thats interesting. oil temp and pressure would be great

On 17/03/2020 at 20:34, Jeroenvg said:

AIM answers:

The dashboard illumination does not work anymore after installing the MX2E kit.

As usual, despite all our efforts for testing everything, some features in the P&P systems remain undiscovered till when the product is not used by tenths/hundredths of customers. The Heater Control panel enlighting is one of them. Next hardware release will fix it.

So what does that mean for customers who have already bought one of these units? Are you offering an exchange??

So is this going to happen? 

- Too much black and wasted space on the displays.

• If you like to send us a different, and better drawing, we are absolutely open to improve our proposal. Please, don’t forget you have to use the available information on Not-Racing cars.

- On the digital RPM page the actual bars relating to RPMs should be thicker or continuous as per AIM’s other models. (GARW has a better RPM scale)

• !

GARW has a better RPM RANGE more suited to the actual engine. As far as other AIM products comment, this was in reference to the MXS/MXG 1.2 models, who’s displays look superior.

- Prefer a larger “Indicated Speed Value” than “current gear” on non race screens.

• Which fw rel do you have?

F/W rev 02.32.30 why, can it be changed already?

-

My comments in green above.

and again, imho.

Also, I am told the cars fitted with OEM gearbox oil coolers already have an oil temperature signal on the CAN bus. Thus can this be added (excuse the pun).

cheers

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2020 at 16:21, Zuhair said:

Question .

Does Aim show traction slip percentage there on cup cars on display ?

Yes it does, well it does on the couple i have fitted to Cup cars

On 17/12/2020 at 09:18, nordschleife666 said:

Are the latest batch now comes with the same binnacles as the Lotus branded one?

Yes same binnacle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Joseph Antabi I am able to access the config screens with the engine running and the car stationary.  The config screens are not available when the car is in motion, which makes sense from a safety perspective.  Do you have the handbrake engaged when attempting to access the config menus?

Thanks for your answers, I already tried everything with the handbrake on and on different screens, I wrote to AIM and they tell me that it can't be done, but I have seen several videos where there are people who can do it if they are stopped, I don't know if it's because I have the latest update