free hit
counters
Variable MOT quality - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Laika

Variable MOT quality

Thought I would share some recent MOT experience.

My 1998 GT3 has been MOT'd at the same place for three years, the first two times it had warnings about front "drop link" bushes... I pointed out that there aren't any ! But for two years they cut and pasted the warnings word for word... at the 2019 MOT they managed to bash the gear lever so hard without using the lift ring that the whole mechanism popped off... inside the central chassis rail.. they also jammed the drivers door closed... so I had them trailer it to me where I made repairs.

I took it to my local garage who work on my daughters kia... and it passed the GT3 with no advisories...

Just goes to show that an established garage with experienced "more mature" mechanics are the secret to keeping these cars alive and healthy...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just goes to show that you were previously going to a bunch of shisters who had no clue and should be reported to local trading and MOT standards for their sheer incompetence/greed/laziness* (delete as applicable).

Glad you got it sorted and your GT3 is legal on the road. I love GT3 Esprits. Piccies please. Please..... Pretty please.....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Had a few MOT places in the past ring me up half way through the test when I left the car with them asking where the bonnet release was, and couple have been thrown by the handbrake !!

Does make you think 

I had one phone me up saying the VX220 was dead. Wouldn't start. Seems they had spent 10 minutes twisting the key, then checking the battery and other electrical connections before concluding the ignition switch was knackered. Told them to turn the key then press the big silver "fooking" button in the middle of the dash and oooh, bugger me, it started!   To think, I trust people like this with brakes and important shit like that.....  🙄:driving:

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I always insist on staying with the car for the MOT so I can tell them 'it's supposed to be like that' otherwise it would be a fail everytime. Fortunately I have now found a 'classic friendly' garage where even though the testers are half the age of the car they actually listen. 

Here's a useful place to start if anyone is looking for an MOT station https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/historic-friendly-mot-stations

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Useful link Pete. Especially for those who spanner themselves (sounds a bit rude, not meant to be). 

I have rather given up on generic MOT garages. Luckily Bell and Colvill have their own MOT certification, so that sorts Lotus for me. 

I MOT the exempt cars also. I think the law is bonkers to allow cars over 40 years old to not have an MOT. How the hell do I know if my 73 Jaguar is roadworthy? I have no mechanical expertise at all. I may love my car but that don't mean I know it is safe. 

Justin 

I use a local station run by old friends and workmates; a lot of the Esprits I look after go here.  They are incredibly knowledgeable guys with a reputation for testing  a wide range exotics, and now know Esprits' unique characteristics very well.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

If you need one in North Manchester, recommend Lovers Lane garage, Atherton.  (ask for John)  He'll work with you to get it done and has been doing mine for over 20 years.    As we have discussed on previous threads, under no circumstances would I go anywhere near any 'big name' chain garages.