free hit
counters
Stevens Esprit or Evora - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Stevens Esprit or Evora

LOTUSMAN33

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, Bibs said:

Read these in reverse order. 

https://www.thelotusforums.com/category/latest-news/long-term-tests/

They'll answer most of your questions. 

IMG_9782.jpg

Brilliant read, I was 70% Esprit and 30% Evora when starting this post now I think it’s flipped over the other way. Totally forgot Bibs did the long term testing which I should have after talking to him at the SWLC meet. 👍🏻👍🏻😃

I will read the various post and long term testing in detail over coming days then decide and buy.....Esprit or Evora 🤔

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

I had 5 Esprits, Stevens N/A, SE, S4, S4s, and V8. Loved them all, but the S4s was clearly the pick of that bunch. Later moved on to a number of Elise/Exige variants, which were obviously more fun, but harder to live with on a daily basis. Then I got my Evora LE. Honestly, I wouldn't consider going back to an Esprit now. I still have naughty thoughts when I see that lovely wedge shape, but things have moved on. The Esprits were never especially reliable, and I can't see that the years will have helped in that area. The Evora is just as special for me, but with the advantage of vastly better brakes and handling. Of course my driving has improved over the years, but I was always wary of oversteer in Esprits, but when I do get a little slide on with the Evora, it feels so progressive and natural that it's something to savour more than fear! The big thing for me, having learned to enjoy the purity of the Elise is that I never want to suffer turbo lag again! I'd definitely consider an Elise/Exige again, but the Esprit has been ruined for me by the newer models.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brendonian said:

I never want to suffer turbo lag again!

I love a bit of turbo lag, adds to the drama in a road car. How I miss cars that actively promoted TURBO with classy (?) graphics. Obviously the Esprit but also Renault with 5GT, Fuego, 11, 21. And the first turbo road car, BMW 2002. Porsche 930 early cars almost hysterically amusing.

Image result for renault fuego turbo

Sport 300 probably not so much fun with the lag but I lacked the talent with that car (as I do with a 930 on the odd occasion I have had the pleasure). Renault 5GT lag is just a hoot.

Totally agree with you on the Evora naturally aspirated Vs Esprit. Love both but given just one, for me Evora.

Justin

• Like 2

Thanks Andrew, White is lovely on the SE and I like the spoiler deletion. Yes agree the Evora will take some time to grow on me but the more I read and understand about these cars along with owners views I feel it is the way to go.

I am now actively looking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AK70 said:

Love the look of the Esprit and always will. But driving wise, the Evora is just much more fun! Brakes, Suspension, Steering etc. all in a different league...

So the combination would be perfect. Lets bring the new (Esprit) one  please.

• Like 1

Am currently driving an Evora 400 and have previously owned a Final Edition Esprit. Both nice hand made cars though the Evora interior has better lines. Both cars have similar performance/handling and attract the same amount of attention. The engine noise in the Esprit cab is considerably louder, making phone calls difficult but it's exhaust note was pleasantly more aggressive. I tended to worry about the long term costs of maintaining the V8 when most techs were not familiar with it including Lotus dealers. Finding parts could also be daunting with the Esprit; I had occasion to need a new front grill (the unpainted stainless version) and eventually located what was the last one on earth. I don't have these concerns with the various Toyota components of the Evora and don't expect to in the future. It's also nice to have a place for your left foot!

• Like 2

Yes somewhere for the left foot is good, I had a bad experience with a first edition V8 where the liner seals failed, that was when the car had 28k and only 3 years old so put me off them ever since. Mind when it was going boy was it going!

I have had an esprit s4 and a sport 350, and in my experience the Evora is a much easier drive that can be used daily. I also found that the handling is slightly better with much improved suspension soaking up any harsh road surface with much improved good brakes. Unfortunately, mine will be going soon due to my sciatica. 

Pictures to 4-9-07 059.jpg

20190924_172758.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a newbie here and have only ever owned an Evora (bought not that long ago) - but as an introduction to Lotus and to keep the missus happy, the Evora was perfect. I love it. Never driven anything that handles like this - it comes alive on a B road bend. I've got a car seat in the back and even found a pram that fits in the boot! Because of that, I get to drive the car at least twice as much as I would without these and that's because I can take the whole family out on a weekend. I think the Esprit is beautiful so ethier would be great but seriously consider the Evora for practically if the above applies! 

• Like 2

On 06/01/2020 at 15:53, jep said:

I love a bit of turbo lag, adds to the drama in a road car. How I miss cars that actively promoted TURBO with classy (?) graphics. Obviously the Esprit but also Renault with 5GT, Fuego, 11, 21. And the first turbo road car, BMW 2002. Porsche 930 early cars almost hysterically amusing.

Image result for renault fuego turbo

Sport 300 probably not so much fun with the lag but I lacked the talent with that car (as I do with a 930 on the odd occasion I have had the pleasure). Renault 5GT lag is just a hoot.

Totally agree with you on the Evora naturally aspirated Vs Esprit. Love both but given just one, for me Evora.

Justin

Haha just bought back memories- I had a Renault 11 turbo ,first proper car I owned,absolutely loved it- my girlfriend at the time ran up the arse of a ford Sierra and that was the end of that!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ali tuck said:

my girlfriend at the time ran up the arse of a ford Sierra and that was the end of that!

I'm not surprised you dumped the girlfriend after she did that. And kept the Renault 11. 😁

Justin 

• Like 1

Looked at this one and quite liked it, seems to have received love and attention. I think I would change to SE sills to finish the look and bin the decals but good car.

Sticking to the Evora now as time for a change.

• Like 2

At what point did the sills go black on these cars?

I was in no rush at all as busy with mini’s at the moment but after long talks with Giles who was selling it was just too good an opportunity, he has been fanatical with attention to detailing and the service history is superb. Going to collect in a couple weeks due to work commitments.

• Like 1