free hit
counters
Logistics - Climate Change - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Logistics - Climate Change

On Friday I posted a brake kit destined for Los Angeles, California. The tracking information thus far shows:-

Picked up in Margate, then -

Rugby (Warwick)

Weybridge (Surrey),

Brussels (Belgium),

Heston (Middx). 

A fag-packet calculation shows it's travelled just over 700 miles had a ride on an aeroplane on a little jaunt to Brussels, and it's now back in the UK. So it still has to cross the Atlantic and be delivered, which I hope it will be in the next few days. This isn't the first time I've noticed this kind of thing however, it happens regularly. Why it couldn't have just gone from Margate to Heston, without taking the scenic route is beyond me, and I still don't know if it's going to do another tour of Britain or other EU countries before boarding the big silver bird to somewhere across the pond, as yet unknown.

So there you go, it's a large "bollocks to all this climate change nonsense with bells on", love from the parcel logistics industry.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You misunderstand:  it's YOUR fault for sending the stuff.  You should have rented a carbon-neutral yacht and sailed it over there yourself, you filthy planet-murderer.

I prefer migrating wales, very environmentally friendly, sometimes faster than sea freight, but you just have to pick your time of year....

Can you please tell me where Wales is migrating to? If you can persuade Scotland to go as well that would be terrific - thanks!

You misunderstand:  it's YOUR fault for sending the stuff.  You should have rented a carbon-neutral yacht and sailed it over there yourself, you filthy planet-murderer.

• Like 2

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

I prefer migrating wales, very environmentally friendly, sometimes faster than sea freight, but you just have to pick your time of year....

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

Did it actually do that travel or was only the computer record that went to Belgium and back?

Logistics companies scan parcel bar codes each time they arrive at a different destination, or hub. So yes, it actually did do that travel. It’s still at Heston at the moment.

Margate Exotics.

10 hours ago, au-yt said:

Carrier pigeon? Or is the payload too heavy....

13 hours ago, au-yt said:

Can you please tell me where Wales is migrating to? If you can persuade Scotland to go as well that would be terrific - thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

On Friday I posted a brake kit destined for Los Angeles, California. The tracking information thus far shows:-

Picked up in Margate, then -

Rugby (Warwick)

Weybridge (Surrey),

Brussels (Belgium),

Heston (Middx). 

A fag-packet calculation shows it's travelled just over 700 miles had a ride on an aeroplane on a little jaunt to Brussels, and it's now back in the UK. So it still has to cross the Atlantic and be delivered, which I hope it will be in the next few days. This isn't the first time I've noticed this kind of thing however, it happens regularly. Why it couldn't have just gone from Margate to Heston, without taking the scenic route is beyond me, and I still don't know if it's going to do another tour of Britain or other EU countries before boarding the big silver bird to somewhere across the pond, as yet unknown.

So there you go, it's a large "bollocks to all this climate change nonsense with bells on", love from the parcel logistics industry.

Maybe they're using an out of date sat-nav, you know the ones that would take you via Paris when you started at Dover and wanted to get to Portsmouth or something!!

Anyhow totally insane logistics but no doubt cost effective...I read somewhere previously that airlines use a strategy called 'fuel tankering' to gain a cost advantage of only a few £££s https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50365362 (though its not being reviewed)

3 minutes ago, Techyd said:

Maybe they're using an out of date sat-nav, you know the ones that would take you via Paris when you started at Dover and wanted to get to Portsmouth or something!!

Anyhow totally insane logistics but no doubt cost effective...I read somewhere previously that airlines use a strategy called 'fuel tankering' to gain a cost advantage of only a few £££s https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50365362 (though its not being reviewed)

It must be the same sat-nav Chris Rea uses every Christmas...

Margate Exotics.

Is it the same logistics company that this regularly happens to? they don't sound very well organised. Are you going to name and shame them so we know who to avoid?

No, they don't seem well organised however I've seen it before with various carriers over the last few years.

But as I'm no climate change warrior I shall only name and shame them if they fail to deliver in the stated timescale. As of today, it's apparently still in Heston. No doubt recovering after all that globe-trotting, which must be exhausting.

Margate Exotics.

Progress!

According to the US Postal service it’s now in San Francisco. Which is good news as that’s a lot closer to Los Angeles than Middlesex. A bit puzzled as to why it never went direct to LA, but maybe it’s cheaper this way.

Margate Exotics.

On 08/01/2020 at 20:21, Sparky said:

A couple of swallows?

That'll get the swalloee off the ground, but won't do anything for the parcel. :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

We’ve got a good recent story about a delivery. Prior to Christmas my wife ordered two music stands from an Amazon seller. Each stand consists of two components: the large flat rectangular rest that the music rests on and the telescopic tripod stand.

Anyway, as is usually the case, the delivery arrived (by Royal Mail), just as we had both popped out for half an hour. The postman left a note saying that the consignment could be collected from the sorting office in the next town from the next day onwards. Duly noted we headed off down there the next day and collected the package. When we eventually opened it up, it became clear that the packaging had been damaged and one of the two tripods had somehow fallen out in transit. So we had two music rests, but only one tripod stand. Bugger. Knowing from previous experience how difficult it can be to process returns / complaints etc with Amazon, I drove back to the sorting office and checked with them to see if they had found it, but they hadn’t.

So my wife contacted the Amazon seller and he politely apologised and promised to send a replacement tripod. Sure enough a few days later, the postman arrives with a parcel to sign for. Lo-and-behold it’s another rest and again no tripod! So we now have 3 rests and 1 tripod.

Frustrated, my wife sends the Amazon seller another message and makes it crystal clear in words that even a small child can understand that it is the tripod and only the tripod that we are missing. Again the seller apologises profusely and promises to send us the missing tripod.

A short time ago, the postman arrived with a parcel to sign for. Hooray it must be the long-awaited tripod! Nope it’s yet another rest. So, as it stands we have now received 4 rests but still only 1 tripod stand. 4th time lucky perhaps?

• Confused 1
  • Gold FFM

Sometimes people are just so stupid you wish........

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

We’ve got a good recent story about a delivery. Prior to Christmas my wife ordered two music stands from an Amazon seller. Each stand consists of two components: the large flat rectangular rest that the music rests on and the telescopic tripod stand.

Anyway, as is usually the case, the delivery arrived (by Royal Mail), just as we had both popped out for half an hour. The postman left a note saying that the consignment could be collected from the sorting office in the next town from the next day onwards. Duly noted we headed off down there the next day and collected the package. When we eventually opened it up, it became clear that the packaging had been damaged and one of the two tripods had somehow fallen out in transit. So we had two music rests, but only one tripod stand. Bugger. Knowing from previous experience how difficult it can be to process returns / complaints etc with Amazon, I drove back to the sorting office and checked with them to see if they had found it, but they hadn’t.

So my wife contacted the Amazon seller and he politely apologised and promised to send a replacement tripod. Sure enough a few days later, the postman arrives with a parcel to sign for. Lo-and-behold it’s another rest and again no tripod! So we now have 3 rests and 1 tripod.

Frustrated, my wife sends the Amazon seller another message and makes it crystal clear in words that even a small child can understand that it is the tripod and only the tripod that we are missing. Again the seller apologises profusely and promises to send us the missing tripod.

A short time ago, the postman arrived with a parcel to sign for. Hooray it must be the long-awaited tripod! Nope it’s yet another rest. So, as it stands we have now received 4 rests but still only 1 tripod stand. 4th time lucky perhaps?

Maybe your wife should take a rest from music?

Oh, wait......

Margate Exotics.

So after further correspondence with the Amazon vendor about the missing music stand tripod, the postman arrived today. The good news is that the long-awaited second tripod has finally arrived! Yippee! The bad news is that they sent yet another of the wretched rest parts! So we now have 5 rests to go with the 2 tripods.

Oh and the vendor also promised to include a pre-paid and self-addressed bag to send the excess rests back to him in. He sent the bag, but didn’t remember the pre-paid label or delivery address...

I can't comment on the music, of course, but it appears that the vendor is three violins short of a full ensemble.

• Haha 1

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC