free hit
counters
Potential new owner - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi there I'm Stu, just joined and live up in the north of Scotland.

I'm looking at getting an Exige in the next year either a new sport 350 or preferably a 2 year old sport 380.

What are the main differences between the 2 apart form the exterior aesthetics and the smaller supercharger pulley that lowers the rev limiter? Does the sport 380 have the same loud exhaust as the cup 380? Any other differences that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Stu

Edited by LotuStu

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Terry is well qualified to help you here Stu......don’t think I’ve got the mental strength to this twice😂 - no offence Terry😉

New 350 vs' 2 year old 380 (from memory): 380 will have carbon diffuser finisher, carbon front access panel, front canards, larger carbon rear wing,  different engine map and smaller puller to re

380 has lower rev limit. Arguably 380 Cup best looking Exige there is

Posted Images

Terry is well qualified to help you here Stu......don’t think I’ve got the mental strength to this twice😂 - no offence Terry😉

• Haha 1

New 350 vs' 2 year old 380 (from memory):

380 will have carbon diffuser finisher, carbon front access panel, front canards, larger carbon rear wing,  different engine map and smaller puller to reach 380 BHP, additional gearbox oil cooler and larger bore exhaust after the cats so its's louder than a 350, carbon seats. It also has a different rear transom panel with two big lights and two small lights (inboard). I think it also came with the lightweight battery. Many will also have the optional carbon roof and boot lid, but these were extra not default.

Newer 350 will have the more rounded front clam and newer extended diffuser

Cup 380 and Sport 380 have same exhaust design, but the cups sometimes had the titanium version (don't think it was standard) - both will be a challenge for noise on UK tracks

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MrP_ said:

New 350 vs' 2 year old 380 (from memory):

380 will have carbon diffuser finisher, carbon front access panel, front canards, larger carbon rear wing,  different engine map and smaller puller to reach 380 BHP, additional gearbox oil cooler and larger bore exhaust after the cats so its's louder than a 350, carbon seats. It also has a different rear transom panel with two big lights and two small lights (inboard). I think it also came with the lightweight battery. Many will also have the optional carbon roof and boot lid, but these were extra not default.

Newer 350 will have the more rounded front clam and newer extended diffuser

Cup 380 and Sport 380 have same exhaust design, but the cups sometimes had the titanium version (don't think it was standard) - both will be a challenge for noise on UK tracks

Thanks for that, the trackday noise limit shouldn't be an issue because I've only ever done track nights before and they don't really seem to care about the noise on them, been to the ring and plan to with the Lotus and never seen anyone thrown off for noise, how loud is it in the noise tests?

What are the running costs like, pads and discs, clutch etc and how long would each item last? I'd only be doing maybe 3 trackdays a year so I'd budget for a set of tyres and discs and pads a year doing 5k road miles on top of the trackdays

2 hours ago, alias23 said:

380 has lower rev limit. Arguably 380 Cup best looking Exige there is ;)

Unfortunately the only 380 cup for sale at the minute is out of my price range or else I'd be extremely interested in it

• 3 months later...

Another potential owner here - so some more questions on this topic.

Hoping to buy 2019 350 Sport and looking for a pure driving experience.
Had in the past Miatas, S2000, Boxster S and now Alfa 4c - all of them i've tuned for sharper handling and better driver experience for track and mountain roads.

Saw this video review and the owner talks about problems with handling balance - "sometimes it's undesteery sometimes it's oversteery .... you don't always know what the car is going to do".
Sound very much like stock 4c which does what it wants with too much surprises - it took me great deal of effort and spendings to tame it and i'm not ready for a second round of buying "perfect driving machine" only to discover that it needs a lot of suspension mods.
Lotus are suspension gurus, aren't they?

So are those traits still right for the latest version of Exige? Are factory alignment setting aggressive enough?
I have a friend with Elise Cup 240 and stock cambers he told me about are laughably low - 0.5 degr or something like this...

LSD, sound and fuel tank capacity i assume are still pretty much the same - but can be dealt with.

He also talks about "not too much happening after 6,000 rpm" - sounds very familiar for a modern stock car and from my experience better flowing headers+cat always solved this.
How bad is it on latest Exige?

Many thanks and hope i will be able to be a proud Lotus owner,
Gennady

• Gold FFM

They are set up to understeer from factory as they deem it’s safer for the driver. A quick geo will change that. 

i had a 350 and now a 430 and at no point over a combined 14k miles or 8 track days have I ever felt the car wasn’t balance.

dont agree on the post 6k comments, for me at least, if anything I feel it would benefit from revving a bit higher. Those who have put better air filters on have commented on the car feeling much freer.

LSD would be nice, bigger fuel tank doesn’t bother me. 

Drive one, it will blow your mind given your previous car list. 

• Like 1

according to findings in the german TV show "Fast Track" the OEM springs are just much to soft - so the car dunks under heavy breaking (oversteer) and releases the front axle under acceleration (understeer) which resukts in a handling that's to some degree unpredictable

Conclusion:  from my point of view a competent applied chassis ( "noisy" Nitron 2- way or "unobstrusive" Ohlins) and an transmission oilcooler are mandatory - anything else can be done later (EX460 Power Kit by KomoTec, Quaife LSD, brakes etc.)

• Like 1

Buy a 410 and worry less about mods. You can tune the adjustable Nitrons yourself and it’s 100% predictable 100% of the time. On road and on track my car has never surprised me or left me wondering what it would do next.  

good luck. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Croc said:

Thanks for the info!!!
Yea, too safe alignment was my first suspicion...

I think you should test drive a 350. Other than the 4c, I’ve driven all of your previous cars and in my opinion the lotus handles better.

I very rarely get any understeer in my V6s on stock suspension -> once you realise that most of the weight is on the back wheels, you can drive accordingly.

Yes, some Ohlins would be nice, but what car wouldn’t be improved with these!

• Gold FFM
18 minutes ago, BfranklynV6 said:

I very rarely get any understeer in my V6s on stock suspension -> once you realise that most of the weight is on the back wheels, you can drive accordingly

Exactly this, you learn to settle the car through maintaining throttle or slightly accelerating once the braking section is done. Yes the stock suspension is quite soft but it’s perfectly manageable.

if you can source a 350 and have £5k left over, three way nitrons, a good air filter and a geo would be money well spent. Anything else you can do as and when you feel the need.

if you can go for a 410/430 then clearly it negates the need but they are a lot more than a 350+upgrades would be.

8649989D-92F9-4B8A-8CCC-A2F29DC53F5D.jpeg

7 hours ago, Wilbert Camshaft said:

according to findings in the german TV show "Fast Track" the OEM springs are just much to soft - so the car dunks under heavy breaking (oversteer) and releases the front axle under acceleration (understeer) which resukts in a handling that's to some degree unpredictable

Conclusion:  from my point of view a competent applied chassis ( "noisy" Nitron 2- way or "unobstrusive" Ohlins) and an transmission oilcooler are mandatory - anything else can be done later (EX460 Power Kit by KomoTec, Quaife LSD, brakes etc.)

On Fast Lap they tested an Exige S. At that time, the Race Pack AFAIK was optional, it became standard with the 350 Sport and it is firmer. 

My humble opinion is that if you do not track the car, the Race Pack is a fine setup but if you track it or do slaloms it might be adviseable to change springs and dampers.

A Geo is alwys a good thing to do; as I live in Germany and do a lot of fast roads with long turns like a less „nervous“ front and increased castor.

But anyhow in the end I am the limit, not the car.

1 hour ago, BatMobile said:

Exactly this, you learn to settle the car through maintaining throttle or slightly accelerating once the braking section is done. Yes the stock suspension is quite soft but it’s perfectly manageable.

if you can source a 350 and have £5k left over, three way nitrons, a good air filter and a geo would be money well spent. Anything else you can do as and when you feel the need.

if you can go for a 410/430 then clearly it negates the need but they are a lot more than a 350+upgrades would be.

8649989D-92F9-4B8A-8CCC-A2F29DC53F5D.jpeg

You think this a big rol - take a look at 4c 😂

33.jpg.39857dfb6a38d8fc5e145eb0d0a45682.jpg

Here IIRC she's already with stiffer sways bars and much more aggressive geo - but coilovers are still stock.
Tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

I would love to go for Exige 410 but it's way out of budget for me.
Even with 350 Sport i need to double the cost from Alfa and still looking how to make it happen.

Don't you find front tires width 205 to be too narrow?

What is this RACE PACK?

• Gold FFM

race pack was an option on the V6 which was the model before the 350/380 versions.

as I mentioned the exige will embarrass the previous cars you’ve owned on road and track.

They run 215 front and 265 rear though most put on 285 rear if they upgrade the wheels to forged version, either oem or bc wheels.

Lotus web site says front tires 205 rear 265.
Yea i've seen that 410 comes with forged wheels and 215/285 tires however from 350's i've seen online with the optional forged wheels they still had 205/265 tires.

265 actually sound pretty decent but 205 looks to me strangely too narrow. Perhaps they didn't want to me steering too heavy....

Depending on your MOT, clams and suspension you might get approval for 215  on the front and / or 285 on the rear.

I have Michelin PS4 205/265 and am happy with my usage profile 😀

Should I be tracking, I would try Semis on a dedicated set of rims and stick to what combo I could find.

• Like 1

I run 215/265 MPS4 on the cast wheels on my 350 - no issues. Naturally gained a bit of ride hide at the front, but as it's my daily it's not the end of the world.- Orignally came with P zeros 205/265

• Like 1