free hit
counters
4 pot ECM Repairs and Replacements - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

4 pot ECM Repairs and Replacements

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

IMHO trying to develop a replacement for the Delco ECU is not worth it as it's such common ECU there are plenty available. The only issue is the Memcal which is a unique part and has only been available second hand for sometime now. With some effort the resistor networks could be reproduced using individual resistors but the ESC filter board is more complicated with laser etched resistors. Luckily the Memcals are pretty robust and are not known for failing.

• Like 1

Hello Derek. No, I understand that. My thinking is more along the lines that the V8 version I am developing will have added optional wow - launch/traction control, water injection, dial-a-boost and so on. It would be relatively easy (!) to change the software and interface board for a four pot. Sure, it is quite a lot of effort but then I find it fascinating and a challenge. As i have noted elsewhere, the biggest problem will be sourcing the two 22 way pairs of keyed PCB mounted connectors. I can't find them anywhere! Unless someone else knows?

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

It’s a very interesting project, which has the potential for an improvement in engine efficiency over existing set-up. But I would question whether the demand is there right at this moment.

”If you build it, they will come”, could well apply, however.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

@Sparky please can you confirm my suspicion that Ian craves massive overboost, water injection and launch control on his S4s? Only because he is running out of other things to fix/break on his car along with his ambition to drag it at Santa Pod?

• Gold FFM

I can confirm he wants it all.  Throw in some nitrous while you're there, and add some solid rocket boosters, with lashings of RTV naturally.  I've been informed (via FB) that this is all possible with cheap Chinese parts.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Ooh I can actually incorporate the nitrous thingy. Kicks in when you floor the throttle at low revs to spin the turbo up in no time at all. Gonna do it on my MG Metro Turbo'd classic Mini. Ian, Ian, Ian, please say yes...