free hit
counters
Freescan vs Espritmon - Page 2 - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Freescan vs Espritmon

AndyPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The CEL being permantly on in the engine bay and either broken or disconnected in the dash does point to some problems, unfortunately.

If the ALDL bridge is succesful, it will make the fans come on, hence Barry's question. So that doesn't seem to work. To rule out the wiring, you could earth the white-black cable directly at the ECU, it's pin B3, on connector 2. While you're at it, also check for battery voltage (permanent) to the purple wire in the ALDL.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi Chaps,

I've now built the ALDL to serial port cable only to find my laptop doesn't have a serial port. Thought it did.😣

No problem, I've borrowed a serial to USB adaptor.

I've installed Espritmon onto my Windows 10 laptop and it opens up fine. I can see that, using the "e" key, I can navigate to the error code page.

So that I hit the ground running tomorrow morning, do I simply plug in and open Espritmon?

Or do I have to turn the ignition on?

Or do I start the engine?

Just thought I'd ask early so that I'm not sending help posts in the morning.

I've read through the Espritmon manual but despite me being reasonably computer savvy, it seems a little confusing.

Regards,

Andy.

• Gold FFM

Best of luck in actually getting it to run on the car. That was the biggest challenge for me.  Once you have comms it’s really simple to use.

you need ignition on at least - with the car running you can watch the O2 sensor and see if it’s moving - you can also watch all sorts of things occurring live

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Yes, ignition on and play around with the com settings until you get a connection. I know there's some windows setting that allows you to see which com port the USB to serial adapter is using, but I keep forgetting the details...

Once you have a connection, you should get all sorts of readings, an easy one to check is the throttle position: just press the pedal progressively and the graph should rise accordingly. That confirms communication.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Hi Guys,

Ah well, lovely morning here now the sun's come up.

Remade and secured the MAP vacuum connection to the inlet manifold barb, no noticeable difference to the fueling.

Tested the purple wire at the ALDL socket and it does have constant battery voltage.

Earthed the Wt/Blk wire directly at the ECU (pin 3 connector 2) Still won't go into diagnostic mode.

Plugged my laptop into the ALDL socket using my lead but the Espritmon software can't see the ECU.

No messages, just sits there with no values.

I suspect this is down to configuration of my Windows 10 laptop ports. Complicated further by the use of my serial to USB adaptor.

The Espritmon manual discusses registry fixes but but finding and editing those registry entries are a little beyond my PC abilities without a step by step guide.

If I can't get the USB hook up working, I guess the next step will be to find a laptop with a serial port.

Suggestions and advice welcome.

Andy.

• Gold FFM

In the 2nd window that launches with the Espritmon gui, there should be a message indicating if the com port was open or not, e.g. this is what happens on mine if no cable is connected to the PC (windows 10):

could not open COM7

choose another com port

I use a USB-ALDL cable made by @internets (like you, no serial port on my laptop), works a treat.

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

In the 2nd window that launches with the Espritmon gui, there should be a message indicating if the com port was open or not, e.g. this is what happens on mine if no cable is connected to the PC (windows 10):

could not open COM7

choose another com port

I use a USB-ALDL cable made by @internets (like you, no serial port on my laptop), works a treat.

And that’s the very reason you will be tasked with making my pc work on my newer laptop with my usb lead whilst I drink tea and admire your pc literacy skill next time you are up this way 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

5 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

could not open COM7

choose another com port

Thanks Robin,

Wondered what that was.

I'll check it out.

3 hours ago, sailorbob said:

If you cannot get the ECU to go into field diagnostic mode I would be surprised if you could get ALDL communication. I would pull the ECU and check it out.

Cheers Derek,

I'll just try configuring the USB one more time. If no good I'll take my desktop PC into the garage (it does have a serial port) and try that.

If no good, I'll pull the ECU and have a look inside.

Really appreciate the help everyone's offering.

I'm kinda enjoying this problem solving experience and when it eventually runs properly, it will be a great moment.

I should have an update in the morning.

Andy.

• Like 1

Hi Chaps,

I was up bright and early this morning and in the garage at first light.

I tried all suggestions and more the get the ALDL cable running on mu laptop via a serial to USB device but no luck.

So I transferred my desktop PC into the garage and plugged the ALDL/serial cable directly into the PC's serial port. Tried everything....no luck.

So I removed the ECU from the car.

The ECU chip cover still had it's anti-tamper foil stickers in place to likely has never been opened before.

I removed the chip cover and pulled the chip carrier out.

Can't smell any fried components inside the ECU and the chip is seated perfectly.

I was expecting to see a lotus sticker on the chip. Instead it just says DELCO M759.

Some advice on where to go from here would be much appreciated.

Andy.

If there is a component failure in the ECU it probably happened quite a while ago so there isn't likely to be any smell of burning. A visual inspection of the PCB is required.

The ECU can be repaired but it is probably cheaper to buy a 2nd hand one from the 'States (it was used in several different cars) and put your Memcal into that.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, AndyPG said:

Thanks Barry,

Can it be tested and repaired ?

Andy.

Part number 01228708

get on eBay and buy one from the states. Bluestreak maybe able to repair it - but the price of the USA units is probably cheaper

Only here once

5 hours ago, sailorbob said:

If there is a component failure in the ECU it probably happened quite a while ago so there isn't likely to be any smell of burning. A visual inspection of the PCB is required.

Hi Derek,

I slid the PCB out of the case and visually all of the components look perfect. No sign of heat or damage. The lacquer and all of the soldering is beautiful.

Just to recap on the issues;

• The CEL is on permanently.
  • The ECU won't go into diagnostic mode when pins A + B are linked.
  • I can't get into the ECU with a computer (although, this could be my ALDL lead at fault or my lack of Espritmon skills)
  • The car starts from cold ok but the idle speed is low and needs throttle to keep it running.
  • When warm, the idle is ok at ~1000rpm.
  • The engine runs rich at all times (hot or cold / slow or fast)
  • The car is chuggy and jerky to drive.
  • The spark-plugs are fouled with soot after a drive (probably causing misfire and adding to the rich chugging and jerkiness)

Other than that, the car is great 😅

Andy.

• Haha 2

Hi Barry,

I've already tried grounding the wt/blk wire directly at the ECU (pin 3 on J2) with no change.

I will do a continuity check on these wires though.

It is now pointing towards an ECU internal issue using all of the great advice I've had.

I've been reading through the Lotus EMH service notes and I've spotted a couple of leads I will follow through.

They don't look too promising but need following up anyway.

Andy.

• Gold FFM

You could really do with someone local to you - if nothing else just to verify your pc set up works. Currently you have an unknown ecu and an unknown diagnostic setup

Only here once