free hit
counters
Is the gearleaver overhaul kit worth fitting? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Is the gearleaver overhaul kit worth fitting?

Got a pair of new gear linkage cables on order which I'm guessing will necessitate the removal of the whole shifter assembly from the centre console to fit. While I'm at it is it worth fitting one of these overhaul kits? My gear linkage seems okay, but I'm not really sure what symptom to expect if things are worn. Prevention better than cure?

On the topic I see various of the usual suppliers have overhaul kits, but the photo of the kit from SJ Sports Cars has an extra component that the other kits don't seem to have and I can't identify it from the exploded diagram on the lotusespritworld site (http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EMaintenance/Gearshift_Kit_LC.html) Any idea what the single black bushing is for?

SJ082F0050.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another thing that gets overlooked, but can cause a lot of additional slop in the gearchange, is cable movement. A few pennies should be spent on securing the Bowden cables (cable ties do the job), bo

The overhaul is done to eliminate play, so if you don't notice any play, not really necessay. You'll be able to check each joint while you have the assembly out to replace the cables. It's not th

Stripping the interior in order to gain access to the master unit is far more difficult than rebuilding it. The sloppy gearchange on mine traced back to this disintegrated nylon bush.

Posted Images

Unless you have evidence to suggest the linkage has been overhauled in the past, it’s probably getting on for 25 years old by now. Given the gear change is not the best in the world, any help you can give it will pay dividends in that respect. Difficulty in selecting gears can be a symptom of gear linkage wear, and a gearshift/translator overhaul goes a long way to ensure it’s as good as it can be. Both are relatively cheap and easy to do, I did mine a while back and it improved the shift quality a lot. I found the translator was absolutely knackered, and loads of wear in the master gearshift.

PNM also sells the kits, I cannot see the rubber item you mention, and I don’t remember one being supplied in mine.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

The overhaul is done to eliminate play, so if you don't notice any play, not really necessay. You'll be able to check each joint while you have the assembly out to replace the cables.

It's not that much work, but not a lot of money either. Maybe enough reason to change it while you're there.

I think the black bushing you mean is actually the stoppad on gearstick outer sleeve that slides against the reverse inhibiter when shifting between 1st and 2nd. (third from left, bottom row, in the pic). They do wear with use.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Chandra & Tom,

I've just fitted the kit from PNM. Not sure what the little black plastic bit is either. It certainly wasn't the reverse gear buffer part (on my 90 SE anyway). That's just a tiny ring of nylon.

I simply assembled everything with Castrol general purpose grease.

The only issues I encountered were:

I needed to drill a couple of holes to enable access/removal of the two rear-most self tapping screws in the thin sheet metal cover plate in order to slide it back. (Push the speedo cable aside while you do this)

I also had so slightly widen the hole in the fibreglass tunnel by about 3mm in order to get the master gear assembly out. Obviously must have been originally fitted to the chassis before the body went on.

Andy.

Edited by AndyPG

That's some useful tips I'll bear in mind when I do mine @AndyPG. Did you notice much of an improvement with the new parts on your car?

I'm waiting for my gear linkage kit to arrive with a whole bunch of stuff for my radiator, so I'll be fitting mine pretty soon I hope.

1 hour ago, tomcattom said:

Did you notice much of an improvement with the new parts on your car?

Hi Tom,

It certainly tightens everything up.

After 79k miles, mine was pretty badly worn. Lots of slop in the whole mechanism and quite notchy but, it was still very usable.

After fitting the kit, the gear change precision has improved vastly but these gearboxes were inherently notchy when new.

I renewed the rose joints, at the gearbox end too, as these had a moderate amount of wear, and also the bearings (2x 6001RS) in the translator.

100% worthwhile but it don't expect it to be on par with your modern daily driver.

Andy.

Edited by AndyPG
1 hour ago, AndyPG said:

Hi Tom,

It certainly tightens everything up.

After 79k miles, mine was pretty badly worn. Lots of slop in the whole mechanism and quite notchy but, it was still very usable.

After fitting the kit, the gear change precision has improved vastly but these gearboxes were inherently notchy when new.

I renewed the rose joints, at the gearbox end too, as these had a moderate amount of wear, and also the bearings (2x 6001RS) in the translator.

100% worthwhile but it don't expect it to be on par with your modern daily driver.

Andy.

Already started on the translator bearings and joints but then found one of my cables was knackered, so got the joy of fishing a new one of them through the backbone to finish that at the same time as I fit the overhaul kit.

Sounds like it'll all be worth it once done though.

Another thing that gets overlooked, but can cause a lot of additional slop in the gearchange, is cable movement. A few pennies should be spent on securing the Bowden cables (cable ties do the job), both to each other and to an immobile part of the car, it means that the counter-movement they often need to operate isn't lost by cables bowing or straitening.

• Like 2

Please try and post some pics as you complete this work - I've had the kit in my garage for 2 years now afraid to start/attempt.

Thxs

I'll try and remember to take my camera out to the garage when I install my kit. Still waiting for it to be delivered with a whole bunch of other stuff at the moment.

Stripping the interior in order to gain access to the master unit is far more difficult than rebuilding it.

The sloppy gearchange on mine traced back to this disintegrated nylon bush.

DSC_0702.thumb.JPG.9f6dad0691e88d33e8dd8502eca50705.JPG

• Like 1