free hit
counters
Clear coat coming lose on front light - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PJ

Clear coat coming lose on front light

Any suggestions how to fix this?? 

20200119_162412.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seen this on a number of Evora's and S2 Elises.  Only good way to redo this is to sand them down and have them repainted with UV protective clear coat. Alternatively, wetsand them and recoat with ceramic coating, albeit I think having them professionally resprayed is the best way. 

18 hours ago, PJ said:

Any suggestions how to fix this?? 

20200119_162412.jpg

Crazy they they still have not fixed this issue as has been said by @Kristof Thys this has been happening on Evoras for some time, it seems once started its very hard to repair as a point solution. 

As already said you can sand off, and clear coat again (preferable) or Ceramic coat. As and alternative you can use a small amount of lacquer to keep the spread f the lacquer failure under control. Due to where it is at the moment its not at the optics, so if you can live with it looking less than perfect you can stop the spread beyond where it is by applying lacquer and blending in.

Plenty of vids online as simple how twos, most use rattle cans for the clear coat - if possible I'd get a body shop as the can stuff rarely lasts.

Options are:

If you want to touch in, break off all loose lacquer and rub back with 3000 grit wit and dry on the edges. Take a touch up pen and bind the edges with eh lacquer. Once dry (days I mean), mask the surrounding areas then spray the effecting patch till hidden, then after leaving cut back with wet and dry and polish (careful on the existing clear coat). It will not disappear but can contain the spread, if you are not used to wet sanding on cars, then be very very careful, the UV coating on lenses is very soft.

If you want to do it properly, wet and dry the entire lens working up to 3000, removing ALL the coating. Then spray with a UV protecting clear coat  - plenty of guides online. Using a kit like this: https://www.autoglym.com/headlight-restoration-kit (there are many others out there) then using a good clear.

Or do the above, but instead of clear coating, ceramic coat - gives UV protection but will not protect for life.

Replace the lens, but they are something like £2k each or something crazy.

If you do nothing now it will spread as water gets in and spreads the defect - so do something even if you are only sealing the edges.

• Like 1

The lights are made by the same manufacturer as other brands such as Aston Marting (for the DB9 for instance) and they too have had similar issues. It is by no means a "Lotus" only issue and is partly due to the shift from glass for headlamp covers to plastics that yellow over time, hence the need for a special UV coating etc.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I'll get them done tomorrow at a so called 'headlight doctor' :) and share the results. Don't need the lights to come off probably right? 

By the way, how to replace a bulp now thinking how the headlight would come off?? 

22 hours ago, PJ said:

I'll get them done tomorrow at a so called 'headlight doctor' :) and share the results. Don't need the lights to come off probably right? 

By the way, how to replace a bulp now thinking how the headlight would come off?? 

Usually to change the bulb you access from the wheel arches. When you will get there in the back of the headlights you can remove them as well. 

Most probably the best way if you need to repair the clear coat is to remove the headlights. This will secure the best result.

So no taking off the wheels also to get the headlights fully out? 

I got both lights restored today, only at the top black part the lacquer came lose. I'll post a picture later but it looks good again so let's see how it holds. Only some time invested and €60 so not too bad.. If it doesn't stay well indeed I will take the lights out and do a full resto..

6 hours ago, PJ said:

So no taking off the wheels also to get the headlights fully out? 

I got both lights restored today, only at the top black part the lacquer came lose. I'll post a picture later but it looks good again so let's see how it holds. Only some time invested and €60 so not too bad.. If it doesn't stay well indeed I will take the lights out and do a full resto..

Ciao PJ,

Happy to hear you obtained good results with the headlamp restoration.

You will need to remove the wheels to get full clearance and work properly.