Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Elite restoration. - Page 17 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Elite restoration.

Scrap the above !!!!

P O had enlarged wiring diagram for non air conditioning model as it no longer has a/c, which I’ve been referring to, looking in parts folder the wiring diagram for air con models shows two fans.  Need to work off this.  

Tony 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for your help Pete and Clive. From the 25amp terminal on the fuse box mine has a White wire with blue tracer that goes to central terminal on a relay mounted on drivers side inner wing , just by the panel that supports air box tube.  
I haven’t spotted a white/blue wire coming from fuse box on any wiring diagrams I have. The wire looks to be original. 

Tony 

Just had a look at every schematic variant I have, and can't find a WU(white/Blue) wire anywhere. There are some UW wires with headlights.

If that's factory wiring it's a yellow/green wire - or should be!  The wire colours do fade/discolour, but I also found a couple of "substitutions" in my factory loom.  This circuit is quite complicated as it also has a relay which stops the rear screen heater working at certain times - presumably as a current-limiting arrangement.  The fans are also activated by the aircon Ranco switch via another relay.

Pete

Pete, it has two relays under the dash , r/h side which I think are what you’ve mentioned.  Thinking PO has altered it as no a/c parts in the engine bay other than double bottom pulley.

The white/blue wire is in the harness and supplies power to the relay from fuse box , and fans come on when key is turned on first and second points.  
Now I’ve seen on wiring diagrams that non a/c only had one fan, that could be the reason second fans earth wire wasn’t connected.  
Perhaps I need to check otter switch, as it may be stuck  in the hot temperature position if this is possible.  
Thanks everyone 

Tony 

Hi Pete , definitely not worried about originality,don’t think there’s much left of the original car other than the body. Perhaps the chassis.  
Going to collect new front screen in a few days , MX5 pop up light motors to be fitted as well.  All this should have been done last year.  
Ooh and it hasn’t got any headlining. 
But on the plus side I have a spare galvanised chassis, engine, gearbox, fuel tank and several mechanical parts which may or may not be usable. 

Tony 

Hi Pete , well when someone I think it was Black Eclat posted about the mx5 motors, I thought I pasted it in my restoration thread , but that was around a year ago , had a quick search and it’s not surfaced.  What has surfaced is fitting the doors etc , which was this time last year. About to do them , got the window brush strips coming Tuesday.  Only a year late.  

Tony 

Hi Pete 

They are for both , hopefully 😀ordered the clips as well, but probably not enough.  
At this moment just started to fit the driver’s side door.  That I thought about fitting a year ago. Just packing window frame.  

Tony 

On 25/04/2021 at 19:44, Doris the dog said:

Hi Pete , well when someone I think it was Black Eclat posted about the mx5 motors, I thought I pasted it in my restoration thread , but that was around a year ago , had a quick search and it’s not surfaced.  What has surfaced is fitting the doors etc , which was this time last year. About to do them , got the window brush strips coming Tuesday.  Only a year late.  

Using Black Eclats thread I made a set of brackets by folding 1.2mm stainless sheet (1st attempt was with 1.8mm but that was too thick)

D6B5130E-8394-466D-9259-4D4E88BE0A90.jpeg

Really back into the Elite, after being distracted by parents and sprinter engine.  The sprinter engine problems seemed never ending from electrics to injectors , glow plugs and air in fuel lines etc.  
Now so many jobs to do on the elite , fitting glass all round , making brackets for mx5 conversion, all the trim to go on , and the DOORS (started on them) air intake pipe and dash needs fitting.  
That should see me busy till end of the month.😂 
All made harder as I’ve only sat in a lotus once, mine about a week ago.  Only seen one Elite (Angus) last year , early covid so not close.   
God nows what the drive like , think I might need to have a cushion to see the bonnet. 

Tony 

• 2 weeks later...