free hit
counters
Why did Lotus stop doing a dry sump engine on the Esprit? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Giniw

Why did Lotus stop doing a dry sump engine on the Esprit?

Hi Everyone,

Well, I was wondering why did Lotus stop doing a dry sump engine?! Too expensive to build? Maintenance or reliability issues?

Thanks in advance =)

Edited by Giniw

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Agree with Andy on this, and would add that oil surge control was found to be in order as well. The 912 brought a redeveloped sump with radial  baffle, in addition to the sturdier main bearing panel. Early Esprit must be very carefully monitored if used to their limits, as many an owner knocked out big-end bearings due to oil feed issues. My S2 will be built with a dry sump I recovered from an early Turbo write-off.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

At one point in time, Lotus sold a baffled oil pan for the SE and later Esprit 4 cylinder.

The local track-day drivers also recommended to overfill oil by 1/2 qt at the track to lessen the chance of starvation.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I thought it was due to a service maintenance issue. Checking and filling oil level on a dry sump needs to be done quickly before too much drains back into the sump. So when this wasn't done properly it'd be overfilled. I also thought there were a number of stuff up's and claims during the warranty period. 

• Like 1

DanR

The answer I gave was the company's stance in terms of their engine development programme but things like removing the possible claims under warranty etc will have been additional benefits.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

But you need to remember to put the oil filler cap back on after you top it up, I thought it's suddenly gone very foggy when looking out of the rear view mirror when I gave it some beans down a dual carriageway on my journey to Goodwood. :)

No harm done - only lost 1/2 a litre or so, but did go home rather than the track day (I was only 5 miles from when I did this). This was in 2014, and after doing it, I remembered I did similar back in the early 1990s.

Putting on the filler cap is indeed very sound advice...…………….back in the 80's I didn't with a works van(luckily) the van gradually ground to a halt and when I opened the bonnet it was obvious what the problem was so , purchased a can of oil and cleaned up the engine bay and all was fine again. Lesson learnt.