free hit
counters
Cars you have had - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

37 minutes ago, jep said:

PS. A shame you sold the Elan 

Very much agree with that Justin - simply the best ‘fun’ car I’ve driven to date and so easy to drive and so with no roll bar/cage probably the best all round visibility I’ve experienced. Mint with only 24k mileage when it went 5 years back. 
You did give me the pleasure of sitting in your Ford GT a number of years back - think we were at Castle Combe.👍😁

• Like 2

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1983 Austin metro 1991 vauxhall Astra belmont 1971 triumph herald 13/60 droptop 1995 rover 214sei 3 door 1972 triumph spitfire 1969 nova kitcar 1955 ford pop 1986 fo

In order of cars purchased and their year of manufacture 1963 - Austin 7 Mini 1965 - Mini  1970 - 998 Mini Cooper 1973 - MG Midget 1977 - Fiat X19 1978 - Renault 5 1

1966 Ford Anglia estate 1966 Ford Cortina Mk 2 Estate 1967 Ford Corsair 2000E 1972 Datsun 240Z 1973 Datsun 240Z 1972 Mini Van 1984 Dax Cobra 1978 Datsun Cherry F2

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
20 minutes ago, mayevora said:

You did give me the pleasure of sitting in your Ford GT a number of years back - think we were at Castle Combe

Delighted to have obliged...…..such a fab vehicle, the last analogue supercar. Its only failing was not being so engaging on the twisty stuff...…...no reason it should have been, it was a Le Mans inspired car but in reality, in the UK, you ideally want a good A/B road weapon. 

Justin

• Like 1
On 25/04/2020 at 09:13, LOTUSMAN33 said:

FBED0293-63EB-4740-BADC-9C02ACB0937E.jpeg.8ce7f2ac422f9ef8ce92a2c1fa5b13eb.jpegPeugeot GTI’s, now that takes me back. Fantastic fun cars and don’t see many these days but values like all hot hatches are very strong. 👍🏻👍🏻

I have Suzuki swift sport, about as close as you can get in a modern car, manual, FWD, great chassis, NA engine. But with airbags!!!

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

2 minutes ago, red vtec said:

I have Suzuki swift sport, about as close as you can get in a modern car, manual, FWD, great chassis, NA engine. But with airbags!!!

Great car and what my wife drives, a few people on here have one. 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Just now, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Great car and what my wife drives, a few people on here have one. 👍🏻👍🏻

Honestly its brilliant, comfy, nippy, good on fuel. and all mod cons.

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM
49 minutes ago, red vtec said:

I like the Swift, always been tempted but then found Twingo 133, almost by accident. Not a looker but what a drive, turn-in is just stunning. CUP suspension a bit firm but stance much nicer with it. Standard suspension best if others are going to use it. Easy to tune to 160 and then it is probably the best value, properly developed, fun small car money can buy.

Justin

1 minute ago, jep said:

I like the Swift, always been tempted but then found Twingo 133, almost by accident. Not a looker but what a drive, turn-in is just stunning. CUP suspension a bit firm but stance much nicer with it. Standard suspension best if others are going to use it. Easy to tune to 160 and then it is probably the best value, properly developed, fun small car money can buy.

Justin

There is 5th gear video with both reviewed.  Both great fun cars. 

• Thanks 1

Amateurs built the Ark

• 2 months later...

Can I join in and add my list? I don’t recall the model years of ,many of them so apologies!

Mk3 Triumph Spitfire - my first car and one I forever seemed to be underneath of...usually in the middle of Winter on a freezing garage floor. I filled the boot with logs one Winter to get more grip over the rear wheels in the snow but one particular day whilst driving there was a loud bang where I suddenly saw the rear near side wheel overtaking me at 40mph complete with half shaft and the car tilted up so the offside front was off the ground. No brakes so just slid to an eventual halt. Driver’s faces coming the other way we’re a picture!

Mk4 Triumph Spitfire - I didn’t learn! Looked good until I found most of it was body filler & newspaper! Young and naive - good times!

MG Metro Turbo - we’re not messing about now! In mean ‘black’ with red pin striping (I know, who’s the Daddy?). Great until gearbox went ‘BANG!’.

MG Maestro 2.0i - In ‘Racing’ red (it probably wasn’t called racing, probably). A pretty good car as I recall but got bored.

Fiat Panda - great little car; we moved house using it!

Fiat Punto 1.7TD - great car until my step-son wrote it off.

1.8 Ford Focus - Company car but handled well and well ragged. It was always up for a good ragging, couldn’t fault it.

Mk 4 Golf - Company car. It was a Golf...

Ford CMax - what was I thinking?
Mitsubishi L200 - a car made to look like a truck

Toyota Hilux - THE truck - superb!

Mk5 Golf GTi Mk 5 - good car but got boring, even with a remap & pipe

Audi RS4 B7 - 4.2 V8 - wonderful car, a lot of special memories. Decat non-res system was just mmmmmm...
Porsche 911 Carrera S 997.1 - a quality car but just didn’t do it for me, kept it 6 months!

Nissan GT-R R35 - a superb car, ended up at 680bhp...owned since 2010, for sale (sob!)

Land Rover 90 Truck Cab - complete restoration - almost killed me, took 5 years hard labour! (Likes to mark it’s territory...)

Fiat Panda - the newer one; we love it!

Subaru Forester STi - a fine car, pipe & remap of course. Bought as a justifiable reason as a ‘dog car’ - no, not for dogging but to transport our large GSD, although in reality that never happened much - I don’t think he liked the colour.

Lotus Exige Sport 350 - the car that got me out of the GT-R (but I still want both!)

Bikes:

Malagutti 50 - field bike; I was only 10 - it was FANTASTICALLY FANTASTIC! (Until it seized).

Yamaha DT50 - it was cruel, so cruel.

Honda XL125 - loved it

Kawasaki KLR600 - loved it even more!

Maico 250 - rebuilt from a box of bits from a farmer’s barn. Wowzers  that was a rapid thing!

Suzuki GSXR400RR - oh mama, I believed I WAS Kevin Schwantz!

Suzuki GSXR600 - my wife bought me this for my birthday - I know!

Ducati 748 - the love of my life (after my wife of course). I believed I really WAS Carl Forgarty but obviously much better looking!

Edited by Karls
  • Like 2

I'll not mention company car stuff, so...

Mk111 Ford Cortina 1.6 XL in red. Nice car, one previous owner (an Uncle)

Triumph Spitfire Mk V 1500. Tried to kill me at least twice. I managed to blow up the first replacement engine doing an indicated 100mph 500 mile short of the warranty expiry.

Golf GTI Mk1 1.6. Great car

Lotus Europa TC 1972. Restored it 1990 -93 at great expense. Sold to fund a new Elise

Elise S1 modified to 150bhp. Owned from new.

Exige S1 owned from new

111R owned from new

S2 Exige 240PP with 260 upgrade owned from new

S1 Evora S with TVS1900. Owned from new Sept 2012. Best car ever.

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

@tim_marra lovely Lotus history. Exige S1 is so fab, if it were not for 340R I think I would have had one of those. Perfect styling and racy engine.

I cannot argue with your Evora comment.

Justin

• Like 1

1991 Peugeot 205 1.1SX (I was proud of the green seatbelts, amazing)

2002 Peugeot 206 1.4LX from brand new. Totally non descript in silver. Quicker than the 205 in every way, less interesting but a 'nice car'

2000 Alfa Romeo GTV 2.0 TS. Wonderful car. Literally wonderful. Great community, made lots of friends, invited the owner of the local Alfa garage to my wedding. Loved the comeraderie on the roads when you saw another one.

2000 Volvo V70 2.4T. ugh... Needed a big boot.

2008 Jaguar XF SV8 - Oh so very very fast. 0-60 doesn't do it justice because it can't get the power down. Rolling launch its just stupid. Nice car but limited feel. Convinced me that I don't need more power as you can get to very bad numbers very quickly so can't really enjoy it on the road.

2013 Abarth 595 Turismo (still own it) - my path back to sports cars. It's light and just so much fun you can't drive it without laughing out loud. (If you ever get one make sure it has the record Monza exhaust). Convinced me I needed something that made me laugh again with a community.

2013 Lotus Evora NA sports Racer - wanted an NA so that it was well balanced power for the road. Is exactly what I wanted and enjoying waving at other Lotus owners on the road. 

Edited by TdM
  • Like 1

My first 5 cars (not the actual ones owned), 3 of which I wish I still had 🙄

74E33141-270F-4A37-A4CD-FCB4E8EB1794.thumb.jpeg.f979615c2c82a5673dfd6b2cf8f20e88.jpeg6912B156-6AB3-41A0-A501-B5DC7EAF2D70.jpeg.da7bd9aa7e2b829fc57e7d9b3cf9eee0.jpegC9AD0012-7C29-4E39-87F9-E566C5ED8230.thumb.jpeg.fbace27ed979d7c2e03c31eda9ab6d78.jpegEA77E5D5-68C8-4EB0-A895-44EA77548ED4.thumb.png.ca03ef4a17719310d6e9579e4fff2268.pngDFF94A0A-D668-43F6-B51C-631254F349D7.thumb.jpeg.1f4eb9463430119b842fbaf7524e7ab0.jpeg

Then came many years of family boring stuff before I could afford to indulge in my mid life crisis which included

Westfield 1995 - 2002

VX220  2002 - 2015 (2nd VX to be supercharged back in 2005}

Evora 2015 - 2019

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PaulCP said:

DFF94A0A-D668-43F6-B51C-631254F349D7.thumb.jpeg.1f4eb9463430119b842fbaf7524e7ab0.jpeg

My god that takes me back - my old chap had a Celeste - what a fantastic car it was - twin cam - went like stink. Had lovely circular sunken guages in the dash and console. I’d love one now....

• Like 2

Only here once

• 1 month later...

Short list for me.

Lotus Élise S1

bmw z1

Evora 400

Elan m100

Never sold anything. Never owned anything else in my name.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Only live once and so many cars to try ;).....although always come back to Lotus 

Edited by DJW
  • Like 2

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• Gold FFM

@DJW great list. Ford Probe...mmm, quite different to a Lotus, how was it? Alpine - I hope to get one day but not sure it will best Evora and don't have +2. Was gear change quick enough? Metro Turbo - light with turbo drama, perfection. 340R you need to try, though perhaps too tame for you after 2-11, Atom etc....

@PAR 3 of the great Lotus road cars. S1 Elise is probably the ultimate lightweight, affordable sports car in my eyes. 118bhp is enough. M100, so bloody good, esp in the wet. Evora - the hidden gem. 276bhp plenty, 400 why not, it can only get better. Terrific trio to own. What next? 

Justin  

Surprisingly the engine was a peach in the Probe. Was daily runner, and racked up some miles on it .  Very Cheeseman ;)

Alpine a great car, with quick gear change.  Just didn’t gel with look of the car from the front. Evora is more of an event 

340R did look at them at the time, but never 100% sure of them.  Probably missed out but hey ho :)

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I tried to buy a 328 in an auction and then it went beyond my limit because “they lost my paper bid”, I am toying with buying an S4s but just never been the right time. One day, i’ll bite the bullet and get a gallardo.

I don’t like selling so I am taking my sweet time.

• Gold FFM

I would imagine a 328 would be disappointing after Evora. Frankly, purchasing the NA Evora has put a lot of cars in the shade, for example my manual 928 (which I adore) but it just seems clumsy after Evora. For me, they do a similar job even if the engines are located differently.

S4S should be a peach, again Evora probably the sweeter drive but Esprit has a charm all of its own, though I prefer the Citroen 'box of earlier Esprit.

I forgot to ask what the Z1 is like and how long you have owned it. Wow car when they came out, pricey too. Always an event on the rare occasions I see one.

Justin 

Z1 is a great road trip cars (bar the issue of a small boot). Did go from the Mont St Michel to Bilbao and back with no complaints.

I have had it for 10 years and it is feels more modern than anything else of that period. Great on highway, great with the roof off on the small roads. Nice engine, well build car and very stable.

It goes fast enough but this is not really a sports car with the sharpness of a Lotus. It feels more like a coupe than a sports car. Basically priced had bottomed so I could pick a low mileage one at a relatively reasonable price as I always wanted one. Feels like it will be a great car for road tripping in my old age.

Elise and Z1 worth more now than when I bought them so the Evora is really the only car that will have suffered serious depreciation on. I tried the launch Evora and likes it very much but somehow it was not enough of an upgrade on the Elise to make me need it on top. By the time I needed back seats for the kids, the 400 was out and I thought better go all in with the bigger version.

Edited by PAR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10 August 2020 at 08:12, PAR said:

Short list for me.

Lotus Élise S1

bmw z1

Evora 400

Elan m100

Never sold anything. Never owned anything else in my name.

Is the Europa not yours?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

19 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

Is the Europa not yours?

This one is the family one my dad bought 30 years ago. I foot the parts bills..