free hit
counters
S4s chargecooler dimensions - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S4s chargecooler dimensions

• Gold FFM

Anyone able to provide me with the dimensions of the chargecooler fitted to the later S4s where it and the condenser are separate units, as opposed to the combined units on the early cars, like mine.

I can see that the condensers on the later cars with the R134a gas are much thinner than what I have on my earlier car, so I'm wondering if they upped the thickness of the chargecooler at the same time.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

There aren't any dimensions that I can see in the parts list @Chillidoggy.

The parts list on the forum doesn't show the later split chargecooler/condensor arrangement in the S4s, unless I'm looking in the wrong section (I'm looking at section 46). However looking at the GT3 parts list the chargecooler shown there doesn't look to have been enlarged at all.

Given I'm considering switch up the A/C to r134a on mine, and the condenser on the later cars looks much thinner, I'm considering taking advantage of that space granted to increase the capacity of the chargecooler radiator. I don't know if it will have any material effect on temperatures, but its something I'm investigating.

• Gold FFM

Sorry, my bad, I wasn't clear about that. I'm talking about the chargecooler radiator. I know the parts are different, just not sure if the actual dimensions of the cores changed when they split the chargecooler and condenser radiators into two separate units.

The condensor for the A/C certainly appears thinner, but it does appear that the chargecooler radiators are the same size, but it would be handy to get some dimensions to confirm rather than rely on a picture on the parts diagram that looks the same.

The dimensions won't necessarily tell you what you want to know because the efficiencies are an unknown. Rather than reinventing the wheel, why don't you copy what I did with a new CC radiator from someone like Pro-Alloy? sure there's some photos on my refurb thread around page 16.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Still doesn't answer the size question though...  If the condenser is slimmer I can potentially make the chargecooler radiator thicker, for what benefit it may or may not be worth. I don't have a later OE chargecooler radiator for comparison to know though.

Like I said, size isn’t really the issue, it’s efficiency. The thicker you make it, the more restrictive it becomes to air passing through. And whilst they’re not completely masking each of the heat exchangers behind, after the charge cooler, the air has to pass through the A/C condensers and finally the coolant radiator before it escapes. If you’re looking for more efficiency, you may be better considering upgrading the charge cooler pump. There’s plenty of info on TLF on the subject.

After some correspondence and photographs, I took my original charge cooler radiator to Pro-Alloy for them to make the prototype, which works a treat, but it certainly wasn’t cheap, and I don’t suppose they’ve got any cheaper. The original unit (which Pro-Alloy said was not a particularly efficient design) was obsolete at the time, and is still NLA as far as I know, unless someone like SJ has started producing them. The chances of finding one is slim.

I’m equally sure Serck will do a good job, however. They did a very good job for me, and I’d absolutely recommend their services.

Margate Exotics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Just resurrecting this, does anyone have any decent pictures of the OE later (separate) charge cooler radiator off the car? I'm trying to see what mountings, if any are attached to it.

The parts list isn't proving to be particularly helpful working this out. The pictures in sections 18 and 46 don't seem to show how its fixed into the car. I can see there are separate brackets (left, right and centre) that secure the two a/c condensers to the radiator tray and then I presume the c/c radiator secures to this bracket too somehow, but I can't see any mentions of what fixings are used.

• Gold FFM

Thanks @Chillidoggy.

Luckily my original combined charge cooler/condenser appears to be sound based on Serck's inspection; the same couldn't be said of the engine radiator! I'm still considering doing the swap but even if I don't do the conversion, the price Serck's have quoted to make a later style chargecooler it could be of benefit to others who may need it if Serck have all the deatils the make them up.