free hit
counters
In search of corduroy for interior. Any idea where to find it? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

In search of corduroy for interior. Any idea where to find it?

I'm having a local shop restore/rebuild the seats in my Elite.

The originals were corduroy and I'd *really* like to keep it original.  The trim shop, however, is having a heck of a time finding corduroy. So far, they've managed to find just 2 rolls that are suitable for use in a car: one gray, the other gold.  Neither look very good in my brown car with tan vinyl seat-backs (the gold almost does, but we can't find a matching fabric to cover the "bolsters" - the panels between the vinyl back and center corduroy section)

Has anyone redone their seats with corduroy? Where did you find it, and did you use UV-resistant fabric?

For the record, there's plenty of correct-width, correctly colored corduroy out there, but the trim shop says that it needs to be UV-resistant or it will fade in short order.  The UV-resistant attribute is the hard-to-find bit.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you can find the material what about UV treating it with Scotchguard? https://www.scotchgard.com/3M/en_US/scotchgard/products/all-products/~/Scotchgard-Water-Sun-Shield/?N=4340+3294466439+3294529207&rt=rud

No idea how good this is but if it works on outside fabrics it should be good enough for an interior.

Cheers, Richard

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I had thought about scotch guard, but know I wouldn't remember to re-apply.

In the end, we (I should say they) finally found something suitable.  It's slightly smaller "wale" (fewer lines per inch), but I think it's as good as we're going to get.  Looks pretty nice.  I imagine it will be a bear to keep clean.  Maybe should have gone plaid. 🤔

IMG_8857.JPG

• 1 year later...

Did you trimming get finished? Any pictures? Who did you use to trim and do you know the supplier of the Corduroy?

I'm researching material matches for a very early Elite.

I'd also be interested if anyone has used the same material on side and front bolster as for roof lining. It looks the same from what I can tell, but not sure about its durability on seats.

Tony

On 17/01/2022 at 11:29, Tony D said:

Did you trimming get finished? Any pictures? Who did you use to trim and do you know the supplier of the Corduroy?

I'm researching material matches for a very early Elite.

I'd also be interested if anyone has used the same material on side and front bolster as for roof lining. It looks the same from what I can tell, but not sure about its durability on seats.

Tony

Hi Tony,

It did get finished. I've uploaded pictures to my project thread, but hadn't done so here.

Here's the seat in progress:

Seats being rebuilt and recovered.

Here's everything installed:

New carpets and seat covers 51282674475_9133860b46_b.jpg

Note that the colors are a bit off between the corduroy and side bolster fabric. I've come to terms with this and don't really notice it anymore, though it was a bit irksome when it was first done. There were reasons for not taking the time to match the fabric at that point, but it would take too long to explain here.

Regardless, I'm in love with the interior as is sits & don't at all mind that there's some contrast.

You can see in the pictures, that the same fabric was used on the door cards. 

My headliner had been redone by the previous owner, but it's the same color as the side bolster (though a different material)

I live in Los Angeles and had a local shop do it.  This shop is a hidden gem - their work far outpaces their notoriety. I know it won't matter to you, but for the googlers, it's called "Julio Auto Upholstery" in the Highland Park area of Los Angeles (near downtown / Dodgers Stadium: https://www.yelp.com/biz/julio-auto-upholstery-los-angeles)

I don't know who they used to supply the fabric. I know it wasn't from one of their match books of fabric swatches - so it was a special order.  If/when I swing by their shop again, I'll ask and update the thread if I find out, but don't hold your breath.

Edited by BrianK
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, EXCEL V8 said:

Brian your car looks fantastic!!  I'd be terrified of sitting in it 😬.  

I'm usually pretty easy-going about that sort of thing, but have been known to change clothes before getting in the car in an effort to keep the seats clean. ;)

• Haha 1