free hit
counters
Fixing broken bumper mount points - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Hi!

I've been trying to go around my (new to me, but 10 year old) Evora fixing the little niggles, and one of the issues was the reversing camera - which required me to remove the bumper.

Having just taken the bumper off I've noticed the previous owner/garage has had it off before and made a complete mess.

  • On each side, the bolts securing the bottom of the bumper to the bracket in the wheel arch have been snapped off and replaced with an off-center self tapper
  • On the passenger side at the top edge of the bumper, the stud in the rear clam shell that the bumper should attach to is snapped off.

Any ideas how I could fix the nicely? The snapped bolts for the bracket aren't a big deal since I can just tap a new hole and/or insert a threaded insert

However the snapped stud in the rear clam seems like a nightmare. Is there an accepted way of fixing this? All I can think is to grind it back and fibreglass in a new bolt and plate, but that's pretty extreme.

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks! Yes, that's it. It's really helpful to see what's on the other side. Good idea with the drill stop - let's hope it doesn't come to that though! I'll definitely try and tidy up the thread

Posted Images

I have an aftermarket GTE rear bumper. As such, it did not come with the studs mounted in the bumper's rear boot /clam area. Instead, it had nuts that were fiber-glassed in place. Therefore, in that area, to mount the bumper you would simply use a bolt and washer to bolt it down to the nuts that were fiber-glassed in. Instead, I made acorn (dome) nutted studs to use in the in boot/clam opening to make them look like the original dome/acorn nuts used on the OEM Lotus bumper. (I took bolts and cut them to length turning them into studs. I then welded acorn nuts onto each one (you could probably also epoxy them) to turn them into a studs with a head or basically an acorn/dome nutted bolt. I then painted them black.)
 
So, by now you are scratching your head saying a.) what is he talking about and b.) how does this help me? Well, how I would attempt your fix is to remove/drill out the snapped stud and see if I can install a nutsert in its place. You can then use a regular bolt to bolt that fastener down or make up an acorn (dome) nutted stud like I did so it looks OEM.

bumper REMOVAL .jpg

bumper rear.JPG

acorn nutted stud.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Actually drilling it out and tapping seems like a good call. My only concern with that is it's in the clamshell facing out - so if I drill too far (which is kinda likely if I get to the end of the steel and there's just fibreglass after it) then I'm going to go straight through the bodywork :(

What I could do though is see if I can cut away a bit of the fibreglass around it and get at any extra bits of thread. If there's enough left I might be able to weld up some extra thread onto the end of a nut...

evora_stud.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I may have confused the area you are referring to... its been a while since I had mine apart.

I thought you meant one of the 5  black m6 nuts "along the rear edge of the boot aperture, clamping the bumper to the clamshell".  Do you have a photo of where you are talking about?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's what I circled in the diagram in my last post. Basically the nut that you get to at the top of the wheelarch, so a bit of a pain to get to without removing the liner. It's a different area to what you'd mentioned (near the boot) but I believe it's basically the same thing (a threaded stud attached to a backplate). 

While it's no help for figuring out where it is, I did manage to get a picture of it (attached). There's still a bit of thread on it so I reckon I'll weld some threaded bar into a nut, then screw that on (with a bit of resin/araldite). Might need a few extra packing washers but I think that'll hold the bumper on well and will be easy to remove.

Turns out on the other side the stud is still fine, but the backplate has come loose :(

IMG_20200208_195028.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I think I got it now. If I'm right, the below photos shows the other side of the stud and how the plate is mounted in the pocket.

I think you have a great plan seeing your photo. The only thing I would suggest is to maybe see if you can get a die on it to clean up the threads but that may be difficult based on what is left. If your plan fails, you could still try drilling it out for a short nutsert/rivnut. But, I would definitely use a drill-stop so that you do not drill too deep and go through the body as you feared. You would have to drill through the fiberglass and metal plate.

nut 1.jpg

nut 2.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! Yes, that's it. It's really helpful to see what's on the other side.

Good idea with the drill stop - let's hope it doesn't come to that though! I'll definitely try and tidy up the thread - might be a job for a Dremel wire brush though!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...