free hit
counters
How to remove passenger door sill? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

How to remove passenger door sill?

Hoping  to get some advice before I end up breaking the passenger door sill in a fit of rage! I’m replacing the sills with carbon and the driver’s side went relatively well, old sill removed, carbon one fitted.

So, onto the passenger one. I have removed the two screws under the rubber mat in the coin holder and the two screws above. I have released the old sill all the way along so that I can lift it and pull it rearward but the clips that hold the front to the air vent trim will not disengage. I have tried all sorts this afternoon but had to walk away as I feared something was going to break.

Question - do I need to release the air bag cover? Will that allow me to remove the sill with the air vent trim as one unit and I can then disassemble/re-assemble out of the car?

Another question - how easy is it to remove the air vent trim?

Help me...for god’s sake help me! 😩

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, pull harder! As long as you have the screws out, you just need to give it a stronger tug! Then fish out the clips later.

You removed them panel with the name badge etc and took out the screws there? It’s a mirror if drivers side so you should have that covered by repetition 

I can dig out the service manual for the official Lotus way if you want?

And no, there is no need to remove airbag cover

Thanks for all that Paul, much appreciated.

Yes, I have done everything I did on the driver’s side but the passenger side ‘A-pillar trim’ is so much tighter fitting unless I’m missing some additional screws? I’ve removed four - two in the ‘coin box’ and two within the A-pillar trim/air vent surround part. I’m pulling like a bastard but something’s going to snap if I pull any harder surely?

2 hours ago, Karls said:

Thanks for all that Paul, much appreciated.

Yes, I have done everything I did on the driver’s side but the passenger side ‘A-pillar trim’ is so much tighter fitting unless I’m missing some additional screws? I’ve removed four - two in the ‘coin box’ and two within the A-pillar trim/air vent surround part. I’m pulling like a bastard but something’s going to snap if I pull any harder surely?

From memory there is six screws, two into the sill, two through the sill into the spire nuts, then another two that go into bolt the air vent panel to the chassis. If you have the panel removed (the one with the name badge on), look into that and you will see two screws into a white captive nut. All of those are out? Take some photos looking into it

6 minutes ago, Karls said:

The panel with the name badge? Not on my car there isn’t - 2016 car.

But that panel - the backing plate where the DPM controls are on the drivers side

5 minutes ago, Karls said:

I will get some pics tomorrow afternoon, hopefully that will clarify things. Perhaps with a fresh look tomorrow it will all play ball.

Cool, what’s odd is it’s the mirror of the other side you’ve done. So unless you had missing g screws you should just do the same!

OK, an update on progress. I ended up taking off the sill and A-pillar trim as one assembly but whilst lifting it away, the clip in the pics fell down from somewhere. Any idea where it’s from? I had to release the air bag cover so ordered some new clips for that. What a ball-ache.

0A6AAF4A-7C7A-4EE3-AA49-BCB4CC380D00.jpeg

E99793EC-B457-450C-AFE9-F476B24C627D.jpeg

DFDC231E-8076-474D-88FB-C48B1E02635B.jpeg

5276EFE9-0F0B-465C-9D73-14709FED5DC6.jpeg

Back of the a pillar cover, take a picture of the back and I’ll circle where it goes