free hit
counters
Eclat 2.2 Wheel Clearance - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evening all, 

My Eclat which I introduced a few weeks ago has a few issues.  But issue number 1 is that it grates the wheel arches on full lock and a little less.  I have had a good look underneath and think the suspension is in reasonable condition.  However I found that the front where it is connected to the body is damaged on both sides.  When I pull the body up it makes a big creaking sound.  I only managed one photo in the light but it is the same on the other side.  Looking at the book there are more more mounting points but I believe the front is why it is low.  Has anyone else had this issue before and is it an easy fix with the fibreglass?

Thanks

Ben

0C8B4DAA-6F0D-4312-956F-1A39DC57402B.jpeg

174A6303-26DA-4EC4-B4E7-F29B2AA85535.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have had similar and pretty common I believe. I used epoxy rather than fibreglass in structural spots, but others may have differing opinions. Epoxy bonds to polyester resin but generally not the reverse, with some exceptions possible. I used the West System epoxy, well regarded in marine use, but fine for cars too. There are plenty of resources and videos on repair methods if you are new to this stuff. Good luck with it.

But, you probably have saggy springs, which is quite common at this age. Not a huge problem, readily available, but be careful, and you need  spring compressors that can cope with very small coil gaps, but I have not done them on mine. The rears can be done without spring compressors quite easily.

Are you sure about the grate? You know the thing with the "missing" Ackermann steering we have for better car control?

i have as well problems with cracks at the front. If you lift the car on a side, you might fear, the engine will drop out itself:-( so, I am only on 4posts lift after that. I will addressing it in future... somewhere, somehow... will incorporate also a bar on the two post to give more torsion strength. The Excel is stronger on this point.