free hit
counters
Esprit front spring compressor - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit front spring compressor

• Gold FFM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a front spring compressor for the esprit.  When I removed mine the local garage struggled to find anything that would go between the coils as they are so close together and after having everything refurbished I don’t want anyone wrecking them with heavy hands

thanks all 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorted it (phew) Bilstein fitted the spacer tube to the bottom bush but what I’ve realised is that is was all the way into the bush so when I put them both together the top bush only had about 2m

I find the easiest way to compress the springs to fit the dampers is in the press. Mount everything upside down, so you can fit the top nut to the damper once you've compressed the spring. Do make sur

Tightened it up with the springs compressed   Yes it looks like yours in The picture on the other thread 👍🏻

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I find the easiest way to compress the springs to fit the dampers is in the press. Mount everything upside down, so you can fit the top nut to the damper once you've compressed the spring. Do make sure the spring is straight and stable, so it doesn't go flying off!

Filip

• Thanks 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I bit the bullet and bought one of these, and it worked well on my '85 TE fronts. You still need to work the perches in between the coils a bit, but feels much more secure when compressed than my old two piece tool. I was quite pleased to later use it on my WRX struts, much faster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacPherson-Interchangable-Fork-Strut-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Extractor-Tool-Kit/401965411887?hash=item5d97016e2f:g:ZboAAOSwZEdd1QWC

Coil Spring Compressor.jpg

2 hours ago, snowrx said:

I bit the bullet and bought one of these, and it worked well on my '85 TE fronts. You still need to work the perches in between the coils a bit, but feels much more secure when compressed than my old two piece tool. I was quite pleased to later use it on my WRX struts, much faster.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MacPherson-Interchangable-Fork-Strut-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Extractor-Tool-Kit/401965411887?hash=item5d97016e2f:g:ZboAAOSwZEdd1QWC

Coil Spring Compressor.jpg

I've had one of those kits, ever since I was fitting front springs into the Turbo Esprit's setup. I had the spring in the vice (not clamped as such, just the jaws set lightly around the spring to hold things from slipping too easily. I had a pair of the counter-threaded type, one slipped, that unsettled things and the other slipped, they both let go, the spring went from the vice, to the far end of the garage and came back to where I was standing. At that point, I decided the fork type was the way to go.

Those protectors might be just enough to make life difficult on a front assembly!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

Got one on but not sure if I’ve tightened the top but correctly.  The manual just says to Nip it but as it’s a nylon it always has some resistance and when I nip it the top bush is nearly flat.  The old ones were this flat but I didn’t know if this was over time 

3D512830-D300-4AA9-A089-9BDECBE2A387.jpeg

FF9BC427-3159-426B-BD1C-0A1BF28A2E58.jpeg

As there is a little bit of what looks like a blue cover on the damper stem I wouldn't be surprised it's a LOTAC set?

Anyway I hesitated the same when I did it on my car and in the end nobody really knows for sure apparently.
What I understand is that the spacer tube should touch both the bottom and upper washers anyway, and that is what it looks like when it is the case (=bush very squashed)

6 hours ago, Sparky said:

Those protectors might be just enough to make life difficult on a front assembly!

Indeed, I have the same spring compressor and the yellow parts are plastic. I ended up using some gaffer tape.

Edited by Giniw
5 minutes ago, Mightymetro said:

I’m not sure what you mean by the spacer tube as nothing is supplied like that ?

There should be a tube which is meant to be installed as a sleeve between the stem and the bushes

Similar to the red thing I drew there:
https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/25978-bilstein-shocks/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-766425

Edited by Giniw
  • Gold FFM

Mmmm, definitely no spacer tunes on neither the old standard shocks or these new Lotac ones 🤔.  Can’t see them on the parts diagram either.  My understanding was that the bevelled cups locate between each side of the top mount and join in the middle 

I can’t see what the tube would do ?

Ignore that, it’s because Bilstein already fitted it in one of the bushes rather than supplying it seperately 

This is very strange as my LOTAC set (S4s) did have a spacer tube included for each damper?! (both front and rear)

see https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/25978-bilstein-shocks/?tab=comments#comment-764243 https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/25978-bilstein-shocks/?tab=comments#comment-764242

(⚠️ the washers arrangement is wrong on these photos)

(As for the part diagram it's from the original system anyway so unfortunately it doesn't help.)

Edited by Giniw
3 hours ago, sailorbob said:

I cannot remember if my OE dampers had a spacer, possibly not.

I am not 100% sure but still pretty confident there were actually two tubes joining in the middle on the original ones from the 90s (one for each bush). But I would have to check.

• Gold FFM

Sorted it (phew)

Bilstein fitted the spacer tube to the bottom bush but what I’ve realised is that is was all the way into the bush so when I put them both together the top bush only had about 2mm of the spacer tube inside so just squished everywhere as there was no support.

Pushed it further in so it’s about 10mm inside the bottom bush and now it’s about 10mm in the top bush and the squish is much better and can feel a definite nip 👍🏻

thanks for all your help and here’s a picture of them compared to the ones I’ve just removed from my 35,000 mile v8

32249554-C8F5-42DA-B204-3E2A94A86CE5.jpeg

70CDA074-4A16-4418-A1FE-7D02A5352BFC.jpeg

F0C5192E-DEE9-40B0-B74B-778417F2B27E.jpeg

D7370BF1-B6B3-43FD-8094-2BBC5C50A575.jpeg

6459C607-C879-4332-9751-BD8E4F68D99E.jpeg

• Like 2

I would have expected the spacer tube to even its position out between the two rubber bushes (it might well of done this itself once the suspension got a few miles on it). Did you tighten the piston rod nut with or without the spring compressed?

30 minutes ago, sailorbob said:

I would have expected the spacer tube to even its position out between the two rubber bushes

As it was apparently already assembled by Bilstein (or whoever packed it — mine was all in separated parts)  it is probably mounted dry, so, as @Mightymetro said, I suspect it was so offset toward the bottom bush that the top one was already too squashed to allow the spacer to slide up?

@Mightymetro > Now the spacer is in contact with both the top and bottom washers, do you confirm it looks as squashed as mine? (like on the photos on the other thread I linked)

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, sailorbob said:

I would have expected the spacer tube to even its position out between the two rubber bushes (it might well of done this itself once the suspension got a few miles on it). Did you tighten the piston rod nut with or without the spring compressed?

Tightened it up with the springs compressed

8 hours ago, Giniw said:

As it was apparently already assembled by Bilstein (or whoever packed it — mine was all in separated parts)  it is probably mounted dry, so, as @Mightymetro said, I suspect it was so offset toward the bottom bush that the top one was already too squashed to allow the spacer to slide up?

@Mightymetro > Now the spacer is in contact with both the top and bottom washers, do you confirm it looks as squashed as mine? (like on the photos on the other thread I linked)

Yes it looks like yours in The picture on the other thread 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

Thanks!

For your info, my Esprit is still on its wheels so it should be OK for yours as well!

By the way, when you install the rear dampers on the car (assuming you haven't done it already) you might struggle a bit because, being gas dampers, the new shocks won't stay pushed as the old ones.

In a nutshell you need to push the #65 stud as pictured on the parts manual (see picture on the linked thread), insert the top end of the shock in the upper cup, then slide the #65 stud back in the bottom hole of the shock. The problem is the stud is often seized, and the alloy hub carrier is fragile. So you really don't want to use too much force to slide the stud (FYI the stud itself is in a steel sleeve, #66 on the drawing). It's all being discussed on the following thread from the post I link to the end of the thread (and maybe elsewhere of course):

Edited by Giniw