free hit
counters
Esprit front spring compressor - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit front spring compressor

• 11 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorted it (phew) Bilstein fitted the spacer tube to the bottom bush but what I’ve realised is that is was all the way into the bush so when I put them both together the top bush only had about 2m

I find the easiest way to compress the springs to fit the dampers is in the press. Mount everything upside down, so you can fit the top nut to the damper once you've compressed the spring. Do make sur

Tightened it up with the springs compressed   Yes it looks like yours in The picture on the other thread 👍🏻

Posted Images

On 21/02/2020 at 15:23, Mightymetro said:

Sorted it (phew)

Bilstein fitted the spacer tube to the bottom bush but what I’ve realized is that is was all the way into the bush so when I put them both together the top bush only had about 2mm of the spacer tube inside so just squished everywhere as there was no support.

Pushed it further in so it’s about 10mm inside the bottom bush and now it’s about 10mm in the top bush and the squish is much better and can feel a definite nip 👍🏻

6459C607-C879-4332-9751-BD8E4F68D99E.jpeg

Have you installed the C-clip supporting the perch into a lower or upper groove? Have you checked the ride height after the change?

I have covered compressor "paws" with a thick Gorilla Tape (HD duct tape) and applied small amount of silicone grease to the coils for ease of insertion. Used electric impact driver to operate the compressor. 

IMG_3737.JPG

Edited by MrDangerUS

I used some gaffer tape too but not the impact wrench: it was not hard to screw at all and I still prefer full manual control to check everything is going nicely. Plus I think it's not recommended to go to fast with loaded threads anyway (at least on an extractor I have it's explicitly discouraged)