free hit
counters
Wood Burning and home burning of Coal to be banned - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kimbers

Wood Burning and home burning of Coal to be banned

What an absolute crazy rediculous world we are living in here in the UK where the Govt is now banning sale of coal and fresh wood logs to households to reduce Co2 emissions. Yes, banning use of a renewable source of heat and energy to force you to use Gas, Oil and electric all which pollute more! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817

Absolutely crazy based on the below. They are pushing you into using Gas, oil and Electric instead..........could this be tax related do you think? Hmmmmm

CO2 emissions of fuels graph

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think it is simply a case of storing the wood for 12 months to season it. 
Never mind, I mostly use pallets :whistle:

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

We have about 5 years of logs stockpiled already. And our trees are growing all the time 👍

Ill just watch out for the smoke detector van...

• Like 2

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

When I first saw this I thought oh shit, as I'm about to take delivery of 20 tonnes of freshly cut trees for next years heating! But there's more to it than the headline and it is actually good news.

It's the sale of green unseasoned wood that they are trying to ban. When trees are first cut they contain about 50% water and despite my cooking attempts water doesn't burn. When you do burn such wet wood it releases all manner of nasties in to the atmosphere and can coat your flue with creosote which can lead to chimney fires. Plus the wood's energy output drops really low as the combustion energy is used up getting the water out. So when burning green wood you are harming the environment, at risk of fire and wasting money. Shouldn't need a ban, just education.

• Love 1

Signature not working...

The changes will mean:

• Sales of bagged traditional house coal will be phased out by February 2021, and the sale of loose coal direct to customers will end by 2023
  • Sales of wet wood in small units (less than 2m cube) will be phased out from February 2021. Wet wood in volumes greater than 2m cube will also have to be sold with advice on how to dry it before burning
  • Makers of solid fuels will also need to show they have a very low sulphur content and only emit a small amount of smoke.

It is not banning wood or coal burning stoves.

As you were, back to sleep.........

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Well, thats great. I use Wet wood and Bags of Coal. So I shall keep on ranting! So there! :P

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

What a surprise 👍

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

12 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Well, thats great. I use Wet wood and Bags of Coal. So I shall keep on ranting! So there! :P

Ha! You evil maniac! 

I'll take it back, it's not about education, I think it's more about stopping unethical suppliers shafting customers and selling firewood that's nowhere near ready. 

A side rant here - a lot of firewood suppliers here market their wood as say £60 for a ton bag. Note the wording there. A ton bag. It does not contain a tonne of wood, more like 200 - 250kg. It only caught me out once...! Sneaky buggers.

Signature not working...

Wait...people buy wood?

and where do you think us suburbanites get their wood from  ......... although in my case - skips!! :lol:

New place is a touch more rural though, so that may change..

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Yes, people actually spend real money on small sticks of wood that they take home and set fire to. 'Kindling' I believe they call it...

Personally I can't bring myself to do it. Plenty of wood in the skip at work and offcuts lying about at our place. 

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

I've been known to buy a cord or two of wood at a charity auction- beats a wine basket and leaves more summer time to wrench on the Lotus!

@Mysterae is spot on. Just wet wood and if I'm honest you'd have a dick on your forehead if you thought that was a good, or economical, or efficient thing to burn.

I have two large stores - about 3m x 4m x 3m and the wood goes into the left one for 2 years to dry naturally and then into the right one which is our ready to burn pile.

It's not about the gas emissions with the wet wood but the particulates that fill the air. 

However having said all that I regularly have huge garden fires to get rid of the garden and other rubbish. Spews all sorts of shit in the air. Ho hum.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I don't see any issue. Why would anybody burn coal these days anyway? Burning wet wood is stupid and will lead to all sorts of problems in your flue / chimney.

It'll give appalled of (insert town name here) something to moan about !

Having trees in your garden and backing onto woodland certainly has its advantages. Gives me a chance to wield the chainsaw and axe and I’ve not had to buy wood for years now. I love an open fire!

@C8RKH That's some store of wood you have! We're only just getting used to all this wood burning stuff, this is half of our store at the moment:

IMG_5399.thumb.jpg.3bc374781e57261a6ef54406ba8de529.jpg

@Spinney Yes, the life of the chainsaw and axe has arrived for me too. I opted for a battery chainsaw, 16" bar with no stinky exhaust and mixing of oil and petrol. Just cutting up and collecting fallen trees at the moment, not felled anything significant yet.

IMG_5438.thumb.jpg.93d6d637b6abccf8cb57d8007d7080ef.jpg

Oh how our lives can change!

• Love 1

Signature not working...

Mine's a 20” McCulloch with a stinky exhaust. 😁 Had it for a number of years now and I like nothing better than cutting up fallen trees then splitting the logs with my trusty axe. Good exercise for the upper body too!

Got a battery Husqvarna - wouldn't go back to petrol.

On 23/02/2020 at 17:53, Spinney said:

Not the same lovely, blood curdling noise though! The Texas Chainsaw Massacre wouldn’t have sounded half so scary with a battery saw!😂 

I'm sure you're right there! More like the Silicon Valley Chainsaw Massacre, a bit more digital!

Signature not working...