free hit
counters
The Esprit is back - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it just me or are cars nowadays designed by committee somewhere, perhaps the People's Republic? All modern sports cars regardless of manufacuturer look mostly identical - genereric, teardrop formed

I’m sick to death of Autocar and their made up “Autocar Image” nonsense every bloody week - I wish someone would put a stop to it.......they know nowt! What about the Elan they told us is coming - mor

Esprit is an iconic shape. There are not many cars that this could said about. Therefore, if there is a new Esprit, it has to look like an Esprit. Not a carbon copy of any of the previous generations,

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
2 minutes ago, Likuid said:

Maybe they should get away from being locked into names that start with E?

Ee-bah-gum, what would they say in Yorkshire? 

Justin  

2 hours ago, Likuid said:

Maybe they should get away from being locked into names that start with E?

That’s we call tradition - lets just stick to the formula......it’s worked just fine for decades! Geely are buying into the tradition of Lotus and one of the best ways to maintain that is to continue with the Colin Chapman inspired E**** formula👍

• Like 2

A new Esprit, after a break of 16+ years by the time it's released, yes. It's an icon. Wasn't a problem for Bugatti. And it has to have some sort of wedge look.

DanR

I can think of a lot worse than that, Look what Ford have just done to the Mustang name! Very slim chance we’ll see the Esprit name re-used I believe so no cause for concern.

I do know of one suggestion that would be very well received here if it ever happens, who knows where they are with that but it relates to the car being digitised at Hethel. Deep pockets will be required in any event.

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 18:48, Bibs said:

Have a whizz through this mate, you'll soon be up to speed :)

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/models.html

"Fingers crossed that the Wedge design returns, even in wood fine by me."

Hi Bibs,

Some clarification here: Wedge Design with wood products:

As Lotus almost 70 years polyester used in the production of their cars, they should also start thinking of their durability to protect the environment.

So other materials should be used, such as wood and other plant products which in turn can be processed which can degrade back into nature without problems.

Thus, the possibility exists to make mats with wood fibers that have the same properties as carbon, kevlar and polyester fibers.

Even now are experiments with fungi to make products like shock absorbers.

Maybe Lotus is already engaged in such research, who knows?

Time will tell.

On 26/02/2020 at 10:22, KAS-118 said:

The Autocar cover merely looks like a re-hashed Evija.

When the New Esprit does come I really hope we can see a return to the Wedge 

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 10.21.58.png

Why am I suddenly reminded of this...

9378517.jpg

• Haha 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

On 28/02/2020 at 14:10, The Pits said:

... Look what Ford have just done to the Mustang name!...

Well, as I see it, the Ford Motor Company had to do something to make the Mustang actually drive and handle. Something which it wasn't too good at, and something that Lotus have always been good at. Also, as the Ford GT is now destroyed with modern electronics and silly aero as everyone else are dooing as well, incl. Evija, why not start all over with a fresh package for the Mustang, letting some tech drip down the reange, to make the customers actually ecperience that they bought some sort of sportscar? Hmm, why is it that I am reminded of how a part of the suits army that worked at Ford in the 1960'ies?

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 3 weeks later...

....or so it is according to Autocar https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-v6-hybrid-‘esprit’-lead-lotus-expansion-plan

Although personally I don't think a hybrid makes much sense at the moment - but I guess time will tell....

...and in a separate but related article - why reviving the Esprit makes sense https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/new-cars/opinion-why-lotus-esprit-revival-makes-sense

Edited by KAS-118
  • Gold FFM

@KAS-118 can you actually post something without a weblink sometime? 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Still don’t believe a word that mag writes. Let’s wait and see - but I’ll bet right now it’s not called Esprit

44 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Still don’t believe a word that mag writes. Let’s wait and see - but I’ll bet right now it’s not called Esprit

I must admit they do seem to be re-hashing the same story every few weeks - but I guess there was no F1 or Motorsport to write about.

That is one ugly render... just my two cents. I would not call it Esprit either,  but I would chose a name to evoke it so I would go with Etna, but then again I'm not in charge.

• Gold FFM

Looks like it could have an optional towbar. 😄

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

All other manufacturers spy shots are on test tracks etc, Lotus.....a gypo site! Im thinking a new Elan based on the evora.

Gav

• Like 1