DNA test kits. - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kimbers

DNA test kits.

Have you done it?

Who did you use?

What were the results?

Have you found any long lost relatives?

Did the results surprise you?

Would be great to hear other peoples experiences. Both my father and myself have done "23andMe" and the results were quite astounding. His DNA backed up mine without them knowing the link between us, so we know it to be true. They instantly sent me an email when Dad had done it telling us both they had found a close relative and sure enough we share 50% DNA. Since then we have located family in Canada we didn't know we had. Dads second cousins x 2. And many many 3rd to 5th cousins. We are now in contact with the closest relatives who's line goes back to my Grandfathers Uncle who fled to America after a run in with the Police. 

Interesting enough in itself but our DNA make up was really fascinating. Finding out why our family names are such as Samuel, Benjamin, Abraham (the last one is the real clue). Something we suspected but never actually knew and where it came from. It also links us to French Royalty with both us and Louis XV sharing a great great grandparent.  I would heartily recommend it!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Fully intend to one day, but I'm 3 generations away from Romany Gipsy, so the chances of locating anyone are fairly slim!  Maybe I'm related to Brad Pitt.

• Haha 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

16 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Fully intend to one day, but I'm 3 generations away from Romany Gipsy, so the chances of locating anyone are fairly slim!  Maybe I'm related to Brad Pitt.

That explains why you always park on the grass outside my house then!!

• Haha 1

And I'll do so until you buy my lucky heather.

Anyhoo, Kimbers...?

hqdefault.jpg

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Coal Pitt would be more like it I believe!

I have no interest in my DNA or where it came from nor where it is going. I'm happy knowing what I know and have no desire to know more. I know what hole I came out of and have a good idea what hole I'll end up in! Job done.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

You re such a grumpy old man :P

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Wonder if Prince Harry has any interesting relatives

• Haha 2

Only here once

I did the 23andMe last year and was a bit surprised at the results, mainly because my mother had always told us our grandfather (Ruben), her father, was Jewish. Turns out I don’t have the slightest percentage of Jewish blood in me, which raises the intriguing thought that either grandad isn’t mums father or I was swapped at birth! 😂

My genetic ancestry is mainly Anglo-Irish with a small percentage Scandinavian and French. There are, apparently, near relatives on their database but I’ve chosen not to make contact. 
It was an interesting exercise and very pleased I did it. 

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

I have no interest in my DNA or where it came from nor where it is going. I'm happy knowing what I know and have no desire to know more. I know what hole I came out of and have a good idea what hole I'll end up in! Job done.

I was going to reiterate that sentiment, but then read @Kimbers response, I don't need another person reminding me I'm old else I'll get (even more) grumpy.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

And if you did locate them, they'd probably have to move even more frequently than they have been for the past few decades.

8 minutes ago, Spinney said:

I did the 23andMe last year and was a bit surprised at the results, mainly because my mother had always told us our grandfather (Ruben), her father, was Jewish. Turns out I don’t have the slightest percentage of Jewish blood in me, which raises the intriguing thought that either grandad isn’t mums father..

Yipes. We knew from the name Abraham, Samuel and Benjamin that my Great Grandparents kids were named after Jewish Names but didn't know that our Paternal Grandmother 3 generations back was 100% Ashkenazi Jew. It's been great researching that side though everything pretty much ends in 1939-45 which brings it home when you realise many of those people were related to you. 

We also have Spanish Portuguese and surprisingly Asian from the Polynesia area. according to the DNA that goes back 5 generations. I knew of my Celtic side as I am 1/4 Welsh and 1/8 Irish and we all seem to have some Scandanavian. I was surprised how much French we had.

On the plus side - any of you now commit a heinous crime - then you’ll be found 👍

Only here once

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

On the plus side - any of you now commit a heinous crime - then you’ll be found 👍

Yep , and with forensic genealogy and data slippage "any of you" includes "family in Canada we didn't know we had. Dads second cousins x 2. And many many 3rd to 5th cousins. We are now in contact with the closest relatives who's line goes back to my Grandfathers Uncle who fled to America after a run in with the Police" and all their descendants and ancestors.  

Hope they are all on good terms with the law,  their doctors and insurers, because each sample draws them all in.  A choice to ponder, as you end up making it for many others in these early days of DNA data aggregation. 

• Like 1

You only need to look at what amazon and Facebook do with your online data to give you even half a clue what they will use your dna for

Only here once

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Or Tyson Fury

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

You only need to look at what amazon and Facebook do with your online data to give you even half a clue what they will use your dna for

Genetically generated advertising and memes.

Will you start to panic when you start receiving ads from private medical businesses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mg4lotus said:

Genetically generated advertising and memes.

Will you start to panic when you start receiving ads from private medical businesses.

Can honestly say that doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I’d just ignore it like I do most other ads. 

The main negative I can see with dna testing is that it might reveal some skeletons in the cupboard, perhaps arising from previously undisclosed infidelity. That could clearly rip families apart, which would be rather unfortunate. The old adage “what the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve over” could very well apply in this instance.

In my own case mentioned above, I think the fact my grandfather doesn’t appear to have been Jewish after all is more down to my mothers memory or misunderstanding, than anything else. I was born at home and bear a strong family resemblance to my siblings, so I can be pretty sure I wasn’t actually swapped at birth. 😂

40 minutes ago, Spinney said:

The main negative I can see with dna testing is that it might reveal some skeletons in the cupboard, perhaps arising from previously undisclosed infidelity. That could clearly rip families apart, which would be rather unfortunate.

There are many documented instances of siblings buying these kits for birthday/christmas presents only to find that they only have their mothers DNA in common!  Difficult for the father who thought... A lot of explaining for the mother who didn't...

Also what happens if the product of an affair makes contact as a result of DNA near match to their potential brother/sister?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

There are many documented instances of siblings buying these kits for birthday/christmas presents only to find that they only have their mothers DNA in common!  Difficult for the father who thought... A lot of explaining for the mother who didn't...

Also what happens if the product of an affair makes contact as a result of DNA near match to their potential brother/sister?

Indeed, that is a potential disaster waiting to happen. Wouldn’t bother me personally but I can see how it might cause unnecessary family angst. 

• Like 1

I think you are all reading a little too much into it. Surely finding out you had a missing child would be a good thing? Secondly, if you are worried about your DNA being out there and used by the Police.....why? I don't have any worries :) part of my reasoning was that I used to be a bit of a lad before I met my wife. If my DNA is out there and I do have a child who wants to find me then they can!

• Like 2

Not everyone wants to be found or find out @Kimbers.

As for the Police, I simply think that everyone when born, and at first point of entry to the UK, should be DNA tested and it should remain private and secure but accessible by the Police for the purposes of identifying or discounting suspects.

You just have to hope that no one ever plants your DNA at a crime scene.

I don't think I have upset anyone enough to make them want to try that.

Has anyone thought about how to commit the perfect crime? (There's probably no such thing)

Good job we don't have thought police yet, like minority report. With advances in technology, can anyone say that it would never happen?

Edited by mg4lotus