free hit
counters
Evora roof panel exterior paint bubbles - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora roof panel exterior paint bubbles

• Gold FFM

My Evora roof panel has quite significant paint bubbles; I think these get worse in cooler weather. Not just along the front leading edge, which I understand is quite common (and B&C repaired in 2018 pre-purchase but they are back), the paint is now bubbling along the drivers side edge, nearly all the way along front to back.

Do we know why this is a fairly common Evora problem (2010 NA, not sure if it affects later cars)? And is the solution to start again by stripping and repainting (I assume the panel is fibreglass) or will it just return? And do we know why it happens in the first place?

It don't bother me in particular but if I repair it, I would like to do once and do it properly. I did search for a thread on this but failed to find one.

Justin

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have a couple tiny ones on my engine lid I noticed the other day and a few hidden below it where the lid shuts over the top.

The panel will need taking back to repair properly otherwise they will return, had these on several of my older Esprit’s.

The will appear better in the summer months.

Dave :) 

• Thanks 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

If it makes you feel any better (it probably won’t), my 59 Plate LE is the same.  The roof panels were probably stored wet so that water tracked down the fibres at the factory, hence the recurrence after the respray. I’ve also got a little bit of it on the fron clam behind the top grille either side of the brake fluid hatch. It’s a PITA to fix because the panel would need to be stripped and dried for a long time to make sure all the vapour comes off.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks all.

I have some experience of micro-blisters on previous Lotus but they were all old...I know it is a problem with fibreglass. 

I am surprised to see large blisters (some are 3mm across and balooning) on a 10 year old Lotus in regular use. 

As this has occurred on quite a few Evora roof panels, there is clearly a common cause and @Ledlights input seems plausible. Something untoward has occurred along the production process with these panels.

It don't bother me but I would be miffed if I paid to get it fixed and it came back....I fear it will as the panel probably has embedded moisture in it. 

Justin 

Most people never notice but as an owner your eyes always draw to imperfections which you are aware of from polishing. My friends S2 Elise has loads in various places and he’s owned since new along with being garaged integrally to the house.

Funny I never saw any on the M100’s I’ve owned over the years both SE or S2, fantastic cars and when space permits another will be sat in the garage I’m sure.

• Gold FFM

You'll notice these ones! They are big and numerous.

My Excel has no blisters. The laquer peeled off (non-metallic white paint with factory laquer, odd) but no blisters. I had the laquer redone, it was the roof that peeled the most.

340R has original paint and that is blister-free. Not much bodywork mind! 

Justin 

• Like 1

Yep seems like an Evora issue with build quality, anyone had issues with the later models?

Do you cover the car? My Mk1 Cooper blistered late last year after I wrongly put a fitted cover on it in the garage, it was fine until then, I was devastated as immaculate. It really reduced after I left it uncovered outside then put a heater in the garage.

ADD40C5D-A370-4069-A5F0-731D7AF96CE0.thumb.jpeg.89a6f6a520d8509eee8b0807d9921781.jpegD44665B1-2ED8-4422-A185-F3079BB8E4F6.thumb.jpeg.da6b578614e53c7873e2fc42fd8f441c.jpegD3FF48A7-976A-4E69-9D0B-A7401229C662.thumb.jpeg.c7d8ee5ab6090b2e07e5715555be900d.jpeg

• Gold FFM

No, I don't cover the car and it lives outside. It had this issue pre-my ownership, Bell Colvill repaired but obviously not a gel coat paint job (I would not expect them to). It has returned with avengence. 

I think with fibreglass, wet is fine but it hates damp. A Europa I owned some years ago had lovely paint. I left it in a damp garage for perhaps 4 months, no cover, and it micro-blistered. 

Justin 

Hi,

Its due to moisture build up under the headlining from moisture within the car...

Are your floor mats wet?

I had exactly this problem back in the day.

The car leaked, was fixed under warranty and then leaked again... Fixed and then leaked again... Repeat!!! 

You need to stop the cause of the leaks to stop the moisture otherwise the micro blisters will keep coming back I’m afraid.

Edited by auRouge
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...