free hit
counters
Brexit - Page 51 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

• Gold FFM

No, that's just legalised thuggery!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe there's a difference between people being preyed upon and them actively seeking to have things that they cannot afford. As for PPI, I've turned down more than one loan in the past because it had been automatically added to the monthly charge, although with the amount of compo flying around these days, I sometimes wish I'd just paid up! But the  two practices are very closely related in my view.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Agree. PPI, warranties, "extra cover" etc. I always turn down. The one that really pisses me off is GAP insurance. It's scandalous how Insurance Cos get away with this. In fact, most of the issues thrown at the "banks" is actually insurance related and has an insurance company behind it!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Got yah - up bleeding heart left wing liberal :rofl:

Only here once

Don't get me started about gap insurance. I leased a new car in April, bought gap insurance, and a month ago got a letter saying the company had gone tits-up, tough shit, I wasn't covered any more. In true style, I forgot about it for a week or so, but just before I was about to take out more cover, a letter arrived saying another insurance company was underwriting the policies. Had I bought more cover, I guess I would have been out of pocket.

Thing is, there's more and more people leasing cars these days, and the insurers should have an addendum to the policy to cover any gap, rather than the purchaser having to go hunting around for deals. Twats.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

But with this it's a phenomenon that's generated by the insurers themselves.

you buy a new car, drive it 100yards and it gets written off, the insurance company payout the car value less 5grand as it's used..........

spot the bloody crook ??

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM
41 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Got yah - up bleeding heart left wing liberal :rofl:

Lol - I hate taxes but not as much as those scumbag private enforcers. Sorry, even I have a red line.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

That's fine until one of these people demolish your car, their insurers (of they are insured) find out and then refuse to pay out! - just saying

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
28 minutes ago, march said:

That's fine until one of these people demolish your car, their insurers (of they are insured) find out and then refuse to pay out! - just saying

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying you should NOT pay your car tax, or any other tax. I am merely pointing out that i do not like the private enforcers (clampers). On the other hand, i do not like the private cheaters (Accountants) who help people avoid paying tax either. Think I'm fairly balanced there.

The system should be better in that people should be given a reminder, a very short period to pay, BEFORE, they then get thugged!  As for tax avoiders and accountants, well, we used to hang people for less.......

I also do not like the loophole that allows the insurance to wriggle out of paying if no car tax. i mean, FFS, the two things are not linked and not paying the car tax does not increase the insurers risk.  As for Gap insurance and the way the insurers get away with NOT paying out for a like for like replacement, well, the Government really should get off its bum and start to protect its citizens from these sharks.

It's funny, Bankers have the bad name, but actually it is usually an insurance company / insurance offshoot of the bank that is really behind the majority of the scams and schemes....

4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

The system should be better in that people should be given a reminder,

I thought people were given reminders. The DVLA also offer an email service but that needs to be signed up to.From the Gov website, it's called a V11 (looks like a 'last chance' letter as well):

Tax your vehicle

Tax your car, motorcycle or other vehicle using a reference number from:

• a recent reminder (V11) or ‘last chance’ warning letter from DVLA
  • your vehicle log book (V5C) - it must be in your name
  • the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from a log book if you’ve just bought it

• Gold FFM

In the example Barry gave, our dearly beloved DVLA did not update the owners address details when they HAD been informed they had moved across all their systems. So the V11 was not sent.  Ah, the V11, I'd be up the shit creek myself without that little form hitting me 6 times a year and reminding me to tax a car.

I am not saying I particularly like the new system - far prefer the old paper disc system, and I certainly don't trust the capabilities of the civil service. Being a bit cynical if you read the statement it does not say she had informed the DVLA, just her family. Out of interest I wonder how out of date her Tax was. The Law applies to everyone (I know some will debate this point) and needs to be applied evenhandedly to be fair.

By the way I have been on the wrong side of the law for this and was caught. Had no Tax in the very dim and distant past in my yoof (apparently beer mats don't count - who would have guessed!) and that was fair enough - parking a car on the road with no tax whilst using another one that has been given to me.

• Gold FFM

Is anybody else getting frustrated / wound up by the constant wittering/chattering/bitching/moaning and threatening posturing from Sturgeon and the SNP re Brexit? I mean, last I looked Holyrood and Scotland was part of the UK, not THE UK and certainly not speaking on the international stage for the UK. I fear that the "encouragement" she is getting from the EU is just a part of their strategy to undermine the democratic process in the UK and stall Brexit. Any views?

It's a far cry from her "pledge" around the Indyref to bring a different, less confrontational and less fear based style to politics. if anything i think her approach is now even  more fear based and confrontational.

Also, an interesting point here for those south of the border. Sturgeon and the SNP have made it very clear that they value their access to the EU common market more than any other market.  However, they "export" 4 times more to the rUK than Europe. Given this stance and the rhetoric and the threats - if Scotland did get a "special deal" with the EU would you be more, or less likely, to support Scotland by continuing to buy her goods as opposed to those from elsewhere?

• Like 1

The more she rattles on about independence, the more the English will get pissed off with it, and support will wane for the UK to remain intact. I still think that that Scotland is better off in the UK, but it's like having a terrier attached to your trouser leg that refuses to be shaken off.

As for any special EU deals, it won't make any difference to my purchasing of goods made north of the border: I don't buy ships, shortbread, or anything tartan and if push comes to shove, would switch from single malts to Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.

Margate Exotics.

I am constantly amazed on how long and how often the SNP have conveniently misunderstood the true meaning of "independence"

Why aren't they upfront with the Scotish people and state their real intentions which appear to be "we want to be independent from rule by any other body associated with the UK and favour being ruled by unelected bureaucrats from Brussels"

You can probably count on one hand the number of politicians who are in politics to serve the good of the population rather than to serve their own ego and the wannabe a Queen Nicola is a classic example of the latter

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

The mistake we are making with the SNP is that after Indyref was won, the "No thanks" campaign has largely fallen silent and we have slipped back into party politics.

If we really want the union to remain then "No thanks" needs to be campaigning now. Bleating on about the benefits of the UK Union and the value and benefits it accrues for Scotland. Whilst at the same time then holding the SNP to account for their performance in Government and their blustering nonsense re Europe etc.

Without this counter, the SNP just get to steam roller their message along.

I do feel that Sturgeon is in danger of whipping up anti-Scottish feeling in England. It worries me as it may hasten Independence and my view is that Scotland right now needs the rUK more than the rUK needs Scotland. Without rUK the short term economic outlook for Scotland could be grim indeed through the alienation of our biggest trading partner at a time of increased costs through the need to setup national institutions and services that are currently shared. To put it another way, at a time when the 5.5m of us who live in Scotland will be trying to negotiate the best settlement for ourselves with 59m of the people who do not live in Scotland on the other side of the table. Where do you see the balance of power sitting?

Big up to Mervyn King on the national news tonight.  A proper economist allowed on the BBC who says better off getting out of the EU completely, EU performance has been poor - especially economically, we need out of the single market so that we can do better elsewhere - and would people on both sides please look at this opportunity for what it is and more positively than they've managed so far.  Well said that man - I'm amazed the Beeb gave him the platform.

What many seem to ignore is that economics is a behavioural science not pure logic.  Its easy enough to talk things up that shouldn't be up and down that aren't inherently bad.  The herd follows -  resulting in huge unjustified swings that require uncomfortable adjustments to correct.  If we stopped talking everything into a crisis or streets of gold we would probably stop the herd from stampeding there quite so readily...

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

MK was spot on. The problem is, the way things are going, the EU will call the shots because we are weak. Its likely too late already. If we end up with a half-baked arrangement whereby we are neither properly in the single market nor able to negotiate trade deals of our own it will be a disaster.

• Gold FFM

And all done under the guise of democracy. How ironic.

I really do think Gina Miller needs to have a long, hard look in the mirror. I'm not into cyber bullying and believe everyone should have their say, but unfortunately, that takes money when courts and barristers are concerned and Gina Miller is using considerable funds to force her views and points over the many normal, decent people in the UK who also wanted, and did have their say, through the referendum.

She can dress this up and try to justify herself anyway she wants. The point is she did not like the decision so she is doing her level best to stop the people getting what they voted for. of course, the quote will be "yes, but the people who voted for brexit did not really understand what they were voting for". How very condescending and thank you for implying I am a half wit!

Here we go again.

On 12/26/2016 at 23:43, Andyww said:

MK was spot on. The problem is, the way things are going, the EU will call the shots because we are weak. Its likely too late already. If we end up with a half-baked arrangement whereby we are neither properly in the single market nor able to negotiate trade deals of our own it will be a disaster.

What the remoaners, Corbyns and Millers of this world singularly fail to be able to grasp is that THEY are actually weakening our position every day with this stuff as the disunity fuels the belief in the EU's power base that we are in disarray and they have the upper hand. In the end, if we get a "rubbish" deal it will, in no small part, be down to their "well intended" actions. Like many a middle class hipster do-a-gooder, the agenda is often fine the way of going about it causes chaos, division, etc. But will they take responsibility. Oh please, do not make me laugh, my sides are already splitting with the excesses of Christmas as it is....

• Like 1

• Bibs changed the title to Brexit