free hit
counters
Brexit - Page 144 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

This has had about as much effect as the Millennium Bug! Photographed this today for the papers, Sevington HMRC Lorry Park, aka the Farage Garage!

https://www.espritdroneservices.co.uk/sevington-post-brexit-lorry-park-open-for-business/

Sevington_Lorry_Park_.jpg

Sevington_Lorry_Park_-6.jpg

Sevington_Lorry_Park_-9.jpg

Sevington_Lorry_Park_-11.jpg

Sevington_Lorry_Park_-12.jpg

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Bibs said:

This has had about as much effect as the Millennium Bug! Photographed this today for the papers, Sevington HMRC Lorry Park, aka the Farage Garage!

As predicted.

The staff car park is more full than the lorry park!

Strange, no reporting on the BBC on the situation.

Best they could come up with was a report yesterday concerning VAT changes on inbound shipments to the UK which was full of fibs. The VAT scheme they were referring to applies to every country and is nothing to do with Brexit and also applies to the EU. Although the EU postponed its own rollout of it until July. Allegedly postponed because of Covid but more likely to make it look like the UK was going it alone and cutting itself off. The report didnt mention any of this of course.

For my own company I changed our systems for EU countries to the same as all others which took 5 minutes. All our shipments are sent to every country now with absolutely no accompanying paperwork other than label on the box, its all automated.

• Like 1

I read the government have bought up farmland at Guston (top of the hill from Dover) to act as a kind of Customs clearance centre. There's no reason why the one at Sevington couldn't be used for that, too. Also, they are setting up COVID testing points for lorry drivers so they can have a test and stick two fingers up to Macron.

These parks can also be used to stack lorries in the event the French fishermen or Calais port workers decide they need to take a day off or simply have an even longer lunch break than usual.

• Love 1

Margate Exotics.

Remainer press have found it very difficult to find any evidence of the Armageddon they shouted incessantly about for years in the event of Brexit. 

Whats unacceptable is this is not some kind of opinion article, its written by a "business reporter". So you would expect such a person to be fully conversant with the changes and background and not miss out vital information such as the fact its an EU initiative which they delayed, thus making them out of sync with the UK.

So he is either a crap reporter or deliberately witholding some of the facts because they dont fit the narrative.

• Gold FFM
21 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Whats unacceptable is this is not some kind of opinion article, its written by a "business reporter". So you would expect such a person to be fully conversant with the changes and background and not miss out vital information such as the fact its an EU initiative which they delayed, thus making them out of sync with the UK.

So he is either a crap reporter or deliberately witholding some of the facts because they dont fit the narrative.

I have emailed the BBC "complaints" address to complain about the factually misleading nature of this story. Please feel free to join me - [email protected]

You need to post a link to the story on their website and state your complaint.

The EU's changes are here:  https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/modernising-vat-cross-border-ecommerce_en

If you want to change you need to take action.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

2 hours ago, Bibs said:

https://www.espritdroneservices.co.uk/sevington-post-brexit-lorry-park-open-for-business/

Another bit of the garden of England goes under tarmac ☹️. I hate to say it but I am so glad I don't live there any more. 

It was getting turned into an industrial park before this came along, pave paradise and all that :(

• Sad 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1 hour ago, LotusFella said:

Not a very nice view for the church goers. 🙂

I thought they were meant to go on the inside! 

39 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

That last photo is an outrage - I assume thats either a Saxon or Norman church.  May as well convert it to a Macdonalds now for that lorry park

Norman I believe from the 12th century. It's a very nice church, very similar to the one in my village from the same times.

There's one about 100 yards away, and the beautiful town of Ashford is soon to open the doors on their 4th! 

There is a burger van at the Lorry Park. He's probably expecting the promised 1,700 lorries that can fit there but he's just got a freezer full of shit burgers going off instead now! 

• Like 2

Evora NA

Nice pictures but we do need some context. Cross channel trtaffic is running about 10% of norm at the moment. A mix of companies holding off around Brext just in case and pre Brext stockpiling (remember all the stacks of containers just pre Christmas).

I don't expect such flatlands to ever be fully utilised because there's only a little paperwork to be done prior to arranging shipment but let things settle down before we start going red in the face.

If business can't cope with a couple of forms they shouldn't be in busness.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, LotusFella said:

Not a very nice view for the church goers. 🙂

There's fewer and fewer these days anyway. Hardly anyone will notice.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Have we run out of food yet?? I’m sure it was forecast by certain groups ?.

Only here once

• Gold FFM
39 minutes ago, 100th_Idiot said:

I don't expect such flatlands to ever be fully utilised because there's only a little paperwork to be done prior to arranging shipment but let things settle down before we start going red in the face.

Oh what, just like the Remainers have been quiet for the last 4 years, and continuing now, predicting the carnage, the end of the world, alien invasions and taking it up the backside just to get food?  Ok, I'll happily wait but only expect to see it full when the French decide to hold one of their impromptu tyre burning parties at the port.

31 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Oh what, just like the Remainers have been quiet for the last 4 years, and continuing now, predicting the carnage, the end of the world, alien invasions and taking it up the backside just to get food?  Ok, I'll happily wait but only expect to see it full when the French decide to hold one of their impromptu tyre burning parties at the port.

Quite possibly but I also think we should diversify our ports as discussed elsewhere. A lot of our economy is dependent on Dover

Dover is a short sea Ro-Ro port which predominantly serves EU trade with a large element of fresh produce. Diverting traffic through Liverpool, for example, just doesn’t work on cost grounds or on delivery time grounds. 
The real solution is to move to unaccompanied Ro-Ro,where the trailer is put on a vessel and then taken off at the other end & delivered by a different tractor unit & driver. However the logistics in organising this would be massive & probably still not as cost effective.

For anyone who’s interested, although 2018 statistics, this is a good insight into U.K. port traffic

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/826446/port-freight-statistics-2018.pdf

I thought I’d covered this earlier. Distance, distance, distance! In order to make money, ferry companies need their ships to run the shortest possible routes.

Unaccompanied trailers (drops) used to make up a large portion of freight traffic that wasn’t time-constrained. But over the years, the increase in trade meant an ever-increasing shortage of space to stack them (certainly on this side of the channel).

This is the main reason why drops are not in vogue, coupled with the additional time taken for one to be collected, which could range from a few hours to a few days. As Paul said, that’s no good for perishable goods, even if it would be acceptable for non-perishable.

But there another issue and that is that we as consumers don’t want to wait for anything these days. We expect goods over night, on-demand, and that’s what has driven the development of the current ‘free-flowing’ service at Dover-Calais with very few drops. Post-Brexit Customs clearance areas are endeavouring to maintain this flow by not clogging up the port of Dover, rather moving lorries to those large clearance parks for checking.

Margate Exotics.

17 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

That last photo is an outrage - I assume thats either a Saxon or Norman church.  May as well convert it to a Macdonalds now for that lorry park

It’s Norman. Norman churches have square towers, earlier Saxon churches have round towers, like this one.

D71D90C5-FD9B-48B1-A869-38B681FD7B0C.thumb.jpeg.ba9d115e619a00315eb501cc455a45ca.jpeg

Now, back to Brexit news.....

• Bibs changed the title to Brexit