free hit
counters
Brexit - Page 149 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brexit

Barrykearley

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM
43 minutes ago, Neal H said:

If the French have a dispute with the U.K, why pick on Jersey? It’s not even part of the U.K. It’s a self governing parliamentary democracy.

Because they know they can "boss" Jersey about. Same reason, Spain continually bullies Gibraltar.  Bullies pick on who they know is weaker than them. It's a very nasty trait of the Spanish/French political elite.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

The UK is responsible for the defence of Jersey.

Agreed.  However, it is far easier to bully the smaller player Jersey into submission through threats and intimidation, to "encourage" them to assert pressure on the UK.

It is exactly the same tactics used by Spain with Gibraltar (whom the UK is also responsible to defend!) to exert pressure to get their way not just within Gibraltar but with the UK.

Me personally, I'd spend a few hundred million pounds on deepening and expanding the dock facilities in Gibraltar, within her territorial waters of course, and then I'd move one of our two aircraft carriers there as a permanent "home base" with the associated defence/support ships. I'd shut down the border with Spain to stop people crossing to work in Gibraltar, and the additional jobs created would keep the Gibraltarians employed in well paid, secure jobs and self sufficient.  Then, any little pissy Spanish naval ship that tried to do one of it's 30+ per day incursions into Gibraltarian waters would be seized and impounded. The crew would be "deported" back to Spain as soon as the paperwork to return them was complete which unfortunately would be a big job  and take between 35 and 60 days on average to complete. EVERY TIME they did an incursion, that would be my reaction.

As for the French. Well, if they cut off electricity to Jersey then I would create an immediate reciprocal ban on ALL imports from France, whether French origin or not - the latter to encourage supplies to migrate their business from the French ports to the the more reasonable Dutch etc.

I for one and sick of tired of the pissy actions and whining, and it's about time we just put the cup of tea down and gave them a slap!

I would also calculate the annual cost of disruption due to illegal French ATC strikes to the UK economy, and seek full redress through the appropriate International Courts.

• Thanks 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

The French really are outrageous but utterly pathetic. The sooner President Moron is shot, the better.  

Just shows we cannot rely on them for anything. Cutting off electricity is the sort of threat North Korea makes. 

4 hours ago, SFO said:

The French really are outrageous but utterly pathetic. The sooner President Moron is shot, the better.  

Just shows we cannot rely on them for anything. Cutting off electricity is the sort of threat North Korea makes. 

Wars have been fought for less.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, SFO said:

Fingers crossed the French will do exactly that. The damage that will be done to them and the wider EU will be massive.

Only here once

Not even the German’s threatened that🤌

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

14 hours ago, DDubya said:

Not even the German’s threatened that🤌

The Germans invaded Jersey and the other CI during the war.

Now the French are stopping the ferry from leaving harbour.

image_2021-05-06_090357.png

7 minutes ago, Neal H said:

What’s the point of sending a gun boat if it’s not going to shoot things?

I cannot imagine tem being allowed to actually get to close or fire near them. Remember the cod wars involving the UK fishermen and those troublesome frenchies.

• Gold FFM

Two Navy boats with a big net between them.  And "fish" the French trawlers in the net and impound every single one of them.

Remove the French skippers and crew and put them on the ferry they blocked and send it to Calais to drop them off. Rotterdam would be better.

Then send said French skippers a "harbour bill" each week for €1,000 Euro's for the safe keeping of their boats.

Send them a 300 page form, only in English, that they must complete and lodge in person with the harbour master.

Said harbour master then needs to triplicate the form and send to Jersey and UK governments for verification of details. A process that unfortunately takes 3 - 5 weeks to complete.

Once complete, and subject to all outstanding "harbour bills" being paid in full. The skippers and crew can re-board their boats and sail off.

You wanna start a mini war, without guns or injury or death. Fine. You will lose as when pushed, us British can be as belligerent and obstructive as the best of them. 

French complaining about British inflexibility is hilarious given their shenanigans over our shellfish exports and the Calais shutdown last year .. with friends like the French, who needs enemies 

4 hours ago, PaulCP said:

In France we just agree to everything and then ignore the bits which we don’t like afterwards, including all EU directives.”
How true!😠

The French are the worst when it comes to compliance with EU Directives, the Brits were the best. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Dick Strawbridge summed it up well when talking about listed buildings and building control. His Chateaux isn't listed, he wont list it because unlike the UK it is up to the owner to decide. If he doesn't list it he can do whatever he wants to it because, and I quote "the French are a bunch of anarchists at heart".

I must say, a low level frustration with their behaviour has turned into downright outrage over the last 6-9 months.

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Personally, I am now even more resolved to avoid purchasing anything French or produced by a French owned company, my wife currently has a Vauxhall which I am shortly looking to replace for her, the replacement won't be anything French. 

This is linked to the behaviour over bivalves which they promised would be no change then reneged. So now to get icenses to fish they have to filll out some forms. Shocking that we are asking them to comply with Brexit agreements as requested by Ursula.

Next up veterinary certificates for Fench cheese and yoghurt.

Meanwhile, from the BBC

“In Brussels, a European Commission spokeswoman said "additional conditions" attached to the new licences were a breach of the Brexit trade deal.”

Would anyone really believe any of the useless EU Commission’s spokespersons knowledge of what is contained within any EU agreement after their shenanigans over vaccine deals😂😂

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Next up veterinary certificates for Fench cheese and yoghurt.

Yes. Totally do that.