free hit
counters
Brexit - Page 52 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brexit

Barrykearley

7 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

What the remoaners, Corbyns and Millers of this world singularly fail to be able to grasp is that THEY are actually weakening our position every day with this stuff as the disunity fuels the belief in the EU's power base that we are in disarray and they have the upper hand. In the end, if we get a "rubbish" deal it will, in no small part, be down to their "well intended" actions. Like many a middle class hipster do-a-gooder, the agenda is often fine the way of going about it causes chaos, division, etc. But will they take responsibility. Oh please, do not make me laugh, my sides are already splitting with the excesses of Christmas as it is....

Exactly. These actions are making us a laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the EU.

The most annoying part is that there are very powerful rich people behind the action, who are financing it. How is this democratic? They have conned people into thinking they are acting democratically, by saying that the first action was to comply with legalities and not about nullifying the leave vote. This was a blatant lie. The whole point is to throw out the referendum result. The house of lords move is the next step as they know they might well vote down the result. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Ambassador for the EU has quit!..................We had an Ambassador? What a waste of money!!! We have several hundred MEP's in the EU parliament, why did we need to pay someone half a million a year to be ambassador?

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

Apparently they stopped his Ferrero Rocher allowance and he took his ball home!

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

This was obviously a non-job because how can we have an ambassador to an organisation we are a member of?

When we leave he would have had some work to do and evidently didnt want that unpleasant situation.

His resignation letter has shown him unfit for the job anyway. The Ambassadors (civil servant) role is to be neutral and to follow the wishes of the government of the day without personal bias, something it does not seem he was able to do. It seems Yes Minister's Sir Humphrey Appleby may have been more fact than fiction.

• Gold FFM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38511058

come the revolution...... it's gonna fall like a pack of cards. Just needs a gentle shove from Brexit I reckon. Let's just walk away on WTO tariffs and see what happens

Only here once

It makes you wonder how many Civil servant roles abroad are really required! For example, do we really need embassies and staff of hundreds in certain countries? 

Heres an example. We have an Embassy in the USA! Fine. However then we have 10 Govt Offices and Consul Generals in otherr states like Atlanta, New York, Chicago, San Fran etc etc. What a waste of Money!!!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

19 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

It makes you wonder how many Civil servant roles abroad are really required! For example, do we really need embassies and staff of hundreds in certain countries? 

Heres an example. We have an Embassy in the USA! Fine. However then we have 10 Govt Offices and Consul Generals in otherr states like Atlanta, New York, Chicago, San Fran etc etc. What a waste of Money!!!

Yes - I had to use the one (Consulate rather than Embassy in this case) in Italy many years ago and they were very helpful. It was the day the war started in Yugoslavia (we were one of the first at the border post the morning the border was closed) and we were trying to drive to Greece. The Consul was a very worried man as he was being sent into Yugoslavia to recover thousands of British tourists who had been flown to their holidays and then just abandoned by YugoTours - he stated they would be lucky to get out with any possessions at all. They may not seem useful most of the time - but when things go wrong and you need them you will be very grateful they are there!

As a note - telling the Italian army that 'It's OK , they won't shoot at us as we are British' does not endear yourself to them. To be fair when we left the UK it was just a few villages taking pot shots at each other.

The British Embassy in Bangkok is one of the last big embassies left but thats on the way out:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/30/british-embassy-quietly-trying-sell-their-downtown-home-thb18-billion

There used to be other regional consuls in Thailand which they have got rid of. There used to be a guy in Pattaya called Barry Kenyon and being the den of iniquity the place is, he wrote a book about his exploits there!

• Gold FFM

What is really telling is that the Ambassador has been replaced immediately by an experienced, hard nosed negotiator used to dealing with the Russians.

Coincidence? Or smart move by someone who had the answer lined up in advance?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38565192

How things change. And how quickly too. The longer this goes on the longer I think we just walk away and start to negotiate our own trade deals.

Why waste up to 2 years trying to negotiate with an intransigent and thankless EU when we can use that time to focus on US, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Africa and our Commonwealth partners. We have strong historic links with all these places and we can build successful trade that equally benefits both parties.

The EU we can still trade with and the government can provide support re exporters and tariffs under WTO rules.

I am taking great satisfaction from the headline in the Guardian today which says that Corbyn has said we will be better off outside the EU. 

I am wondering what the people I know on Facebook who have turned Brexit into a political issue and saying that those "vile Tories" are dragging us out of the EU against the countries interests are thinking this morning? 

• Gold FFM

Thats an easy one to answer @Andyww@Andyww. Nothing. They won't be thinking about anything. 'Cos let's face it they haven't really given it any thought so far have they? They've just resorted to moaning, whinging, complainibg, bitching and accusing all Brexit supporters of being illiterate, racist bigots.

• Like 1

Corbyn was always anti EU as could be seen by the poor job he did for remain which was a poor job even by his standards of poor jobs.

Anyway. Historically he has been against the EU. Listening to him on R4 this morning he seemed to be saying no to free movement but wants to remain in the single market. :wallbash:

I have no idea why people think it is a good idea to set out their position as an impossible one. Does nothing for their credibility.

• Gold FFM

I honestly do not know why we believe we need to stay in the single market. The main benefit I see is the market makes it easier from a customs and paperwork point of view.

We can argue the toss re the economic benefits as you need to factor in what it currently costs us, and would cost us, in EU fees to stay in. Those fees could be used to subsidise our exporters and support some importers. Couple that with the freedom to negotiate to trade anywhere with anyone...

I don't doubt for one minute it will be easy. BUT, the best things are never free really anyway.

I'm a confirmed Brexit support, but I'm not anti immigration  I just want some control. For instance we've just gone to hell and back to sponsor an Ozzie to come here to work. She has a job. She wants to live AND work here. But by jove it was tough. So why should we on the other side just have an open border and let EU wastrels just stroll in and demand this and that? Some of them have no intention to work here, just to live off those who do work here.

No. Open borders and free movement is too high a price for a trading arrangement that I also need to pay to be a member of.

Bye bye EU. Hello nations of the world.

Teresa Mays performance today was much better than I expected.

The best way of approaching this is to make a strong statement of intent and then, if the EU so wish THEY can come to US with alternative proposals which, if they suit US we can consider. 

Thats what May seems to have done and its absolutely the right approach. 

• Gold FFM

I agree Andy, I was sceptical of her appointment at first, but what a breath of fresh air she's proving to be. At last, we seem to have a leader who has a bit of backbone, who's prepared to step up to the plate and make a difference. 

• Gold FFM

I was unfortunate enough to have to listen to Tim nice but dim Clegg on radio 2 this morning, telling of how 95% of those who voted to leave, would have voted the other way if they had realised they would have to leave the single market ................. What a knob !! 

• Like 1

• Bibs changed the title to Brexit