free hit
counters
Brexit - Page 53 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

I was unfortunate enough to have to listen to Tim nice but dim Clegg on radio 2 this morning, telling of how 95% of those who voted to leave, would have voted the other way if they had realised they would have to leave the single market ................. What a knob !! 

his successor is no better

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

One of my Facebook remainer "friends" yesterday predicted that Mays speech today would cause the pound to drop through the floor. It rose 2 cents!

Has the pound risen,  everything i see on the net news wise keeps saying the pound has taken a battering due to Mays speech as she declared it was a full proper exit from the EU :)  or is this just the usual sour taste of remain folks spreading worry and end of the world predictions ?  

A

• Gold FFM

Pound actually rose against the dollar to close at 1.23 almost 2 cents up.

Bigger news is that OPEC has said no need for further oil production cuts and current throttling will be over by July. 

British exports doing well.

Nicola still stampng her feet and whinging.

Farron and Lib Dems totally irrelevant.

Countries declaring their intent for trade deals.

The future is uncertain, but then if we ever thought it was any different we were deluded.

The world continues to spin on its axes and life as we know it goes on.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I'm not sure if the times are really a changing. But the tune has, and so have the words...

Mr Juncker said he would work to ensure Brexit talks are carried out "according to the rules and they yield good results".

Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, whose country currently has presidency of the EU, warned: "We want a fair deal for the United Kingdom

The Czech Republic's Secretary of State for EU Affairs, Tomas Prouza, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme it was important that a Brexit deal "makes sense for both sides".

Where's all that EU huffing, puffing and chest pumping gone now. Bravo May. Good balanced speech that took the wind out of many sails....

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Where's all that EU huffing, puffing and chest pumping gone now. Bravo May. Good balanced speech that took the wind out of many sails....

They've no doubt been brought in to line by Merkel who realises that May's stance is not good for German business. Hence Merkel's call to German business leaders that "politics and business must come together for the common good"

Junker, Hollande and the other few loudmouths are just trying to protect their own positions by giving the impression that they have a real voice in what might happen, they don't, they are just puppets in a ridiculous show, hence their quick reaction in defending Trump's view that "the EU is just a vehicle for Germany"

As for Queen elect Nicola, once the EU lose the significant cash contribution from the UK, does she really think the rest of the EU will want to hastily acquire another country with a suspect economy which will be a net revenue drain on what is left.

• Like 1

One member of the EU that has been very quiet of late on these things lately is Poland,  I am sure they are very worried about the loss of child tax credits and work and benefits for most of the Polish workers that come to the UK, as surely as most will be classed as  unskilled workers under the possible visa scheme and will not be able to keep coming to work in the UK ?   The polish pm was very loud about things during the brexit votes but now he seems to of gone to ground ?

A

15 hours ago, PaulCP said:

As for Queen elect Nicola, once the EU lose the significant cash contribution from the UK, does she really think the rest of the EU will want to hastily acquire another country with a suspect economy which will be a net revenue drain on what is left.

It never stopped them before!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

You know, I listened to this tonight for the first time in years. Stick with it for the first 5 minutes and listen to the words. Truly relevant to what we need right now in these Brexit times.

Wit. Charm. Inspiration. Pride and above all aspiration.

Not such the old bag people make out!

http://audio.theguardian.tv/sys-audio/Guardian/audio/2007/04/27/thatcher_final.mp3

People forget what a total mess the country was in before Thatcher. It was falling apart and nobody could really see an and to the problems.

There was an industrial relations war with unions and management pitted against each other. There was no innovation, very little was being produced and what was produced was crap. I may have mentioned this before here but growing up in the West Midlands I had friends who went to work in factories straight out of school and half the time they were on strike and the other half they joked about deliberately making reject products to "teach the bosses a lesson". Getting a phone installed required a huge deposit and a wait of up to 3 months. If you wanted a phone with buttons that was an extra monthly payment.

Under Thatcher, industrial output grew. It did not decline as many think. Yes she played a part in mine closures (but Scargill was mostly to blame, as Neil Kinnock has admitted in recent years) but if you speak to any miner who was involved whether they would have wished the mines to stay open and their sons become miners not one will say yes.

Her mistake was the poll tax. It was an attempt to introduce a "fair" local tax but she didnt understand that tax is inherently unfair and that cant really be addressed without causing huge social unrest.

• Gold FFM

^exactly that. Thatcher steered the country through the very toughest of times.

familes of pit workers and steel workers unfortunately have sat on their asses since - due to little or no employement in the area. The failure of the government to do something about that and the workless folks however is criminal 

Only here once

I have high hopes for Mrs May,   I remember been quite sad when watching Mrs Thatcher hand over the postion of Primeminster.  i was in an religious education lesson at secondary school at the time and the teacher brought the tv in for us to watch. Ah those old wooden tv sets that weighed more than a cast iron 4 pot :P

• Like 1

A

Given the length of time since Thatcher was PM, I find all the hatred very strange, as if some people need a Thatcher-hate comfort blanket.

It's a bit like us apologising for the British Empire which in reality none of us alive today had anything to do with, and thus we can do absolutely nothing about it, either.

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

I remember feeling very rebellious about the Poll Tax as an 18 year old - suddenly being landed with a tax bill that I hadn't expected and couldn't afford.

My Dad then reminded me that under the pre-existing system he had to pay the total household bill but out of 4 voting adults in the household - he only had 25% of the voting power.

I couldn't really argue with that then and even now the current system still fails to address this.

The biggest problem was that the old rates system was totally out of date and needed revaluing and overhauling. By trying to do everything in one go (which was actually more efficient), the Tories became vilified for a Generation.

That's the trouble with politics - Governments who tackle the real issues and try to solve problems become unpopular in the short term. Governments who spend spend spend without solving anything just store up problems for someone else to solve later on.

It appears we aren't very good at learning from History

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Council tax was just another way for the goverment to open another vein, oh i mean venue stream from the people,  I personally think its an unfair tax and should not of been introduced.  If the goverment past and present spent the tax income of this country well it would be fine,  the local council tax was just a con in my mind to pass the buck onto local councils.  

When you see other countries which just have one tax system and how well looked after the people and the local area and amunities are looked after it makes the UK look like the dark ages imo.

A

In general I agree Dan, especially about ensuring tax is spent effectively and efficiently but if money is being spent locally, decisions taken about how it is spent should be 'governed' locally by those impacted - ie us. As long as safeguards are in place for those in genuine need, why shouldn't everyone have to cough up something towards the provision of services. Basing tax on the value of property is bonkers - it takes no account of affordability - services are provided to individuals, not houses.

Simplicity is generally best - we could sweep away masses of bureaucracy but one size fits all approach which would be adopted by doing everything centrally wouldn't work either.

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Local government has become unfit for purpose, with so-called "Chief Executives" on massive salaries and a huge proportion of council tax going on index-linked pensions.

During the Blair years, it ceased to serve the public and turned into a self-serving entity, with pensions and pay put above all else including provision of services. I have a friend who worked for a council and he said that they could have cleared out half the staff in the town hall and made no difference to services as there were staff which did no work at all, and were hardly ever there, and never got disclipined.

On the subject of services, this might be rather an extreme example but our house in Bangkok gets daily rubbish collections and the residents are currently protesting that the charge for this is going up to 150 Baht a month (£3.50) !!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

After 17 years of living in it, Thatcher gave them the chance to buy it and for the first time my parents became home owners, it was a massive step for them. Yes, yes, i hear you all cry, but today' housing problems are all down to Thatcher selling off the housing stock. What total crap. The councils were supposed to use the money they got to build more - instead they squandered it on vanity projects and other stuff. Also, it has been nearly 30 years since Thatcher was in power and we've had many governments, both red and blue, who had an opportunity to build more social housing. the fact is they chose not to. Hardly Thatcher's fault that one....

Totally wrong. I bought my family's council house too...and councils were expressly banned from spending the 50% of the money they received on anything other than reducing their debt...most definitely NOT on building new housing stock... quote from Wiki...

"Half the proceeds of the sales were paid to the local authorities, but they were restricted to spending the money to reduce their debt until it was cleared, rather than being able to spend it on building more homes. The effect was to reduce the council housing stock, especially in areas where property prices were high such as London and the south-east of England. This trend was exacerbated by a government imposed ban on local authorities using their revenues from council house sales to fund new housing."[

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Although the councils couldn't use more than 50% on new housing stock, they could have used the 50% allowed.Also,the cost of building is probably less than the market value, so they'd have been able to replace more than half of the properties they sold off (they had to sell at a massive discount so lost out on most), but however many they built would have been a reduction in their housing waiting lists. Add to that, they had much lower debts and so could then afford in later years to divert income to more social housing instead of servicing debt.

• Bibs changed the title to Brexit