free hit
counters
Brexit - Page 96 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brexit

Barrykearley

1 hour ago, mayevora said:

Shame. MP’s have just had their half term breaks cancelled so Brexit negotiations/arrangements can continue.(I was unaware MPs had half term breaks)

There has just been some MP in the House of Commons asking what the Government intend to offer regarding child support during this time -

Well how about joining the real World and the rest of the U.K. population and do what the rest of the entire Country has to do. - Sort yourself out some Childcare you self centred ignorant excuse for an MP.

The half term break is a break from parliament but not necessarily from their constituency duties but on the issue of child care I absolutely agree with you Sort yourself the fuck out

2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Just as balanced a view as all the pishe spewed out by the remoaing lot

Like any analysis and product reviews. Ignore the outliers

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally unprofessional and clear proof that the “unelected EU mafia” does indeed exist.

Also a comment which could well cost the EU £39billion, I hope the rest of the EU remember who to blame for the effect on their future economies of either having to contribute more or reduce their take, depending on where each country sit in the financial chain

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Ahh the EU is a peace project.....hmm the irony not lost on the comments Tusk made there.

absolutely not surprised at his attitude - the house of cards is going to fall 

• Like 1

Only here once

I just get the feeling more people seem to be understanding the European project is not what they thought it was.

All this time Ive looked but not seen a convincing argument of any reason we should remain. Ive even looked at the remain groups on facebook. They seem very quiet with no real argument to remain?

Ive said all along I love Europe and want to trade and be friends with our neighbours. Being member of an expensive shit club shouldn't be a requirement just to make that happen.

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• Gold FFM

Interesting piece on Radio 4 the other night. They were in a remain voting area and asking about the extension, new vote whatever. A large number of even remainers were saying look, we had a vote, we decided to leave, why haven't we done it yet and can we just get on with leaving so we can get on with the rest of our lives.

I think Cable and the like are totally deluded if they think a rerun of the vote will mean remin wins. Even that muppet Corbyn thinks it which is why he won;t come out and support it. People have had enough and just want to now move on. politicians please take note.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

@C8RKH I’m absolutely convinced if the politicians and civil service thought for one minute they would get a remain result the second time round - we would already have had the referendum. We need this whole shit fest concluded.

Roll on April and the new dawn

Only here once

But I am sure remain would be the outcome of another vote unfortunately. The outrageous lies such as prospects of empty shelves, food and medicine shortages etc would sway a lot of people who dont bother to check facts and simply believe everything they are told.

Its interesting that the "news" that imports will be unaffected at ports and will be waved through has been largely unreported. This is not news at all and is something that would obviously happen from the start.

• Gold FFM

@Andyww I agree the news is one sided and full of lies, but then the remainers will just justify it by saying leave lied at the start anyway.

The whole bloody thing is just a mess and ALL of our politicians need to bow their heads in shame that after 2 years we are where we are. They should all be sacked for incompetence to be honest.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Can’t help thinking that Corbyn’s letter yesterday evening, outlining what is required for Labour to get behind any deal, is nothing more that a well timed attempt at further muddying the waters in the hope that he can still force a general election and get the one and only thing he craves. 

Peoples man my @rse, he’s just an arrogant activist who has no place in Parliament let alone being a wannabe PM

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@ChrisJ - thank for you finding and posting this. I would love the "Remain Brigade" to come on and openly voice their opinions on this, but I suspect they won't.  Remain even on here have remarked about how "angry" Brexiters have been, well, maybe seeing the level of subterfuge and sabotage that has surrounded the leave process, fuelled by the Remain politicians, will allow them to understand why so many Brexiters are angry.  There is no doubt at all from this public record that the process of getting a "good deal for Britain" has been sabotaged by those in power, including the PM, who have continued to work to undermine the democratic will of the people. I hope you are all happy but the outcome will now undoubtedly be a "worse" deal for the UK and her people. The level of naivety displayed b the remain politicians in the whole negotiation just leaves me speechless and I can only assume that when on holiday in Morocco they take great delight in haggling the price of a trinket up so they can take satisfaction in having paid the highest price, so therefore, they won!

• Like 2

On 06/02/2019 at 23:08, Buddsy said:

I just get the feeling more people seem to be understanding the European project is not what they thought it was.

All this time Ive looked but not seen a convincing argument of any reason we should remain. Ive even looked at the remain groups on facebook. They seem very quiet with no real argument to remain?

Ive said all along I love Europe and want to trade and be friends with our neighbours. Being member of an expensive shit club shouldn't be a requirement just to make that happen.

buddsy

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but I haven't yet seen a truly convincing argument for why Britain should leave either? What are the practical benefits? Remain is an easy argument to make - if you do nothing, things will putter along as they have been thus far - life remains somewhat predictable; things suck for some, but are good for others. Same as it ever was, and likely the same as it's ever going to be. But leaving - apart from a string of ideological reasons targeting the failings of the European Project (and they are indeed myriad), doesn't really have any leadership behind it presenting a comprehensive plan or outline to drive home exactly WHY things would be better, especially in the short term.

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Vanya said:

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but I haven't yet seen a truly convincing argument for why Britain should leave either? What are the practical benefits? Remain is an easy argument to make - if you do nothing, things will putter along as they have been thus far - life remains somewhat predictable; things suck for some, but are good for others. Same as it ever was, and likely the same as it's ever going to be. But leaving - apart from a string of ideological reasons targeting the failings of the European Project (and they are indeed myriad), doesn't really have any leadership behind it presenting a comprehensive plan or outline to drive home exactly WHY things would be better, especially in the short term.

@Vanya - play the video of Steve Baker from a few posts above and listen to what he says. You get the answer there, straight from the horses mouth, as why you believe there was no comprehensive plan, outline or case, to leave the EU. There was. There was clear justification. It has just been buried by the politicians and system that does not want us to leave. There is a reason why Ireland had two referendums - the fist did not give the right result so they obfuscated and ran project fear then they had the 2nd. Did not the Dutch also need two to get the ratification of the EU constitution?  The game in Europe has been up for years, it's just the pigs with their snouts in the trough hadn't scoffed enough yet for the troughs to be taken away.

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

@ChrisJ - thank for you finding and posting this. I would love the "Remain Brigade" to come on and openly voice their opinions on this, but I suspect they won't.  Remain even on here have remarked about how "angry" Brexiters have been, well, maybe seeing the level of subterfuge and sabotage that has surrounded the leave process, fuelled by the Remain politicians, will allow them to understand why so many Brexiters are angry.  There is no doubt at all from this public record that the process of getting a "good deal for Britain" has been sabotaged by those in power, including the PM, who have continued to work to undermine the democratic will of the people. I hope you are all happy but the outcome will now undoubtedly be a "worse" deal for the UK and her people. The level of naivety displayed b the remain politicians in the whole negotiation just leaves me speechless and I can only assume that when on holiday in Morocco they take great delight in haggling the price of a trinket up so they can take satisfaction in having paid the highest price, so therefore, they won!

I think we agreed some pages ago that a modicum of respect is what this board prides itself on.

Belittling the remain voice with comments such as ‘though I suspect they won’t’ has the effect of making you sound like you think you are superior, braver, able to confront the argument when remainers can’t or won’t. In other words you sound like an arse. 

That feedback aside, I don’t think the Steve Baker testimony changes anything not does it set out anything we didn’t already know. It was well understood that no10 had pushed aside the authority of the brexit department and the effect of that friction undoubtably is that we’ve ended up in a weaker position.

But that was obvious from the outset. With such a small majority for the leave vote, there was Always going to be approx 48% of the people involved wanting to shift one way or the other. The combination of weak majority, weak opposition, continued in fighting in the conservative party and so on and so on is the reason we are in this position. You can’t blame remainers for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanya said:

drive home exactly WHY things would be better, especially in the short term.

Its a matter of principle. The population was lied to, from the outset. The original vote was to join a "common market", nothing more. Along the lines of other such unions around the world.

Over the years the EU snouts-in-the-trough politicians morphed it into political union for their own ends. We were never asked.
Furthermore, why do people endorse an organisation which behaves in a way which would be considered completely unacceptable if based in the UK? Secret expense claims, payment for not turning up, allowing huge costs to be claimed by the deliberate policy of moving its entire HQ from one country to another every month. Electing a corrupt president who set up shabby tax avoidance deals for multinationals,  allowing policy to be dictated by 30,000 corporate lobbyists which work in Brussels. Turning a blind eye to huge levels of fraud, The list goes on. Even most remainers admit the EU needs reform. This will never happen, ever, so this invalidates their argument. No reform means leave.

Our own politicians are bad enough but the EU is beyond the pale. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

@JG20 I actually think my post was not inflammatory, as Brexit voter I've received a huge amount of ause over the past 2 years so I am sure you could have slept easily with that comment, but hey, feel free to be an arse too mate, it's a free world.

• Like 1

I chose my words carefully. I said it made you sound like an arse.

Whether or not you’ve recieved abuse over the past 2 years doesn’t really enter the argument I was making. Your post was inflammatory and I was giving you some objective feedback about it and then I moved on without rising to it further. The effect of your retort which actually is a bit offensive is now having the effect of derailing the very point you were trying to make and risks the  conversation shifting away from it. 

Let me try and bring it back then. I think you’re right in many respects that Brexiteers have every right to feel agrieved of how brexit is going. It is not the promised land which was set out in the referendum. Worst still, given a different path over the last two years, it would have been possible to get to a better place than we are in today. However, i still don’t see how this can be a surprise to anyone. The European integration was always going to be hard to undo, and there was no clear plan for how it was to be done anyway. We all decided in our minds what good might look like having taken the decision to go. My perspective was for the closest integration possible including a customs union, free movement, etc etc (yes, a sudo-European member). That could still be called Brexit. A hard Brexiteer May have taken the alternative view. In any event whatever you thought you voted for, there was (by the very fact there was no plan) a spectrum of options for how to leave. 

And the point I was making above is that it should have been perfectly obvious that with a very tight majority in the refendum in the first place, weak opposition, weak government and a very strong EU, it was always going to be a horrible compromise.  In every group, team, select committee even in the cabinet people fit all across that spectrum and that’s why it’s a mess. 

18 months ago in this thread we said it can’t be done and it still can’t be done satisfactorily. 

This is quite a good article which will infuriate you even more given that it sets out a possibility that we are heading for years of extensions 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2193345-game-theory-says-brexit-negotiations-are-now-all-about-avoiding-blame/

Edited by JG220
  • Like 1

• Bibs changed the title to Brexit