free hit
counters
Corona Virus - Page 88 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

2 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

last cut was Dec 2019, and normally every 2-3 months.

Was he pissed when he did it? Or do you prefer the high forehead and receding hairline :P

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it appears we may have it - just heard a Doctor describe the symptoms and it matches ours 100% - not quite a cold and not quite flu. Carina is suffering a lot more than me, but in reality for us

UK Virus ALERT   The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised

I don’t even find it boring to stay inside all day ...but I don’t understand why in one box of rice krispies there are 2453 pieces, and in the other one 2467!

Posted Images

9 hours ago, scotty435 said:

Cutting your nose to spite your face.

Why?

Are you happy to wear a mask in a shop? Will you wear a mask at your place of work (as this seems to be coming next)?

If it is so dangerous to shop that we need to wear a mask, why not immediately? Why is it being delayed until the 24th July? Why wasn't it introduced at the height of the pandemic - at which time it would have made more sense? Why haven't we all dropped down dead over the past few months when we have all been out shopping without this vital protection?

It seems that twitter froths, the BBC revels in it and the government reacts. 

I have no wish to wear a mask, and have no need to do, so as the only shop I visit is a supermarket, so I have taken steps so that I don't have to visit one - I'll see if the produce is better/worse than the supermarket when it arrives. If worse, there are plenty of alternatives out there. 

If you wish to wear a mask, that is your prerogative, but this shouldn't be something forced by law, especially as there doesn't seem to be an exit strategy. This virus is not going away, we need to learn to live with it.

I think it’s just carrying on from the public transport and planes thing for crowded places. They couldn’t just introduce it immediately, because only a minority of the population have suitable face coverings, so would be unable to go to the shops all of a sudden. They need time to acquire them (that will be big business for some people!). Why didn’t they do it ages ago, if it’s now necessary? Good question.

The mask strategy doesn't seem to have come from anywhere other than the "government seen to be doing something". They have scared the population into staying inside, now they are trying to get them out and about, but saying it is too dangerous to go into shops.

Why are the shop workers being exempted from covering their faces? https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/supermarket-staff-face-covering-rule-george-eustice-a4497426.html - although this is from a government minister and another one will probably say completely the opposite tomorrow.

Are you going to wear a mask to the shops? Are you going to wear a mask in the office?

On 04/07/2020 at 21:28, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

They’re like wild animals freed from the zoo around here. Non stop drinking from midday and driving their cars. Still hard at it outside. They moved many of the remotely located picnic tables together to make nice big Coronavirus groups. It’s much worse than even I expected and I am used to these idiots. I am sure they’ll be plenty in A&E tonight. Great Britain indeed.

Just a quick update on this. Turns out the Council’s Senior Environmental Health Officer went on a tour of the local pubs on that day they all re-opened. He wanted to check that they were all following the new regulations to protect their staff and customers. Everywhere he visited was complying until he got to our local. He was flabbergasted. The police were called and the crowds dispersed. Action has since been taken against the pub management and last weekend was a completely different scenario. They’re treading on very thin ice now.

On another point I went to play cricket with my two boys in the local park yesterday evening. Whilst we were there a local kids’ football team turned up and basically took over half the field for training. There was zero social distancing or any CV-19 measures taken. 14 boys (approx. 10 year-olds) all training and then splitting into two teams and playing practice matches against each other. All this whilst 10+ parents were huddled around a park bench gassing to each other. One of my sons plays for the local youth football club. That club has had to follow FA instructions and put in umpteen new measures for pre-season training: eg. bubbles of max 5 players + 1 coach, specific mapped out training areas per group, hand sanitizer and ball disinfectant stations, 30 minute gaps between sessions, parents to leave the site or at least stay in their cars, etc. What’s the point in clubs following the FA instructions, if others just ignore them?

There seems to be a very different attitude in the UK (and Europe) vs Asia. We seem to object to a mask being worn, yet Asia where they've been living with the threat of SARS for a while, seem to consider it unforgivably impolite to fail to wear a mask. 

The  masks seem to give very little protection to the wearer, I don't know why but guess the fact that the mucus membrane of the eyes still being exposed has something to do with it. So for me, the fact that I'm wearing a mask isn't going make me feel safer (unless it's a full face covering with a proven level of filtration) The masks do seem to give some small protection to others from infected people if the infected person wears a mask, so I'l feel less exposed to the virus when I'm in a shop if all others are wearing masks. I have no desire to unwitting infect others (if I have the virus and am asymptomatic),  nor do I have a desire to be infected by either others who do so unwittingly or knowingly, as such I'm pleased the masks are to be mandated. 

By giving us several days notice, it gives people time to either buy or fashion an item (I bought some at the weekend when it seemed obvious the rules were coming),  not that people really have to make something, a simple piece of fabric wrapped around is enough. I get why they weren't mandated early on, for the simple reason that we had a shortage of medical-grade ones for front-line medical staff so the minor improvement for general public would have been outweighed by the massive problem it would have caused for medical staff. We're now at the point where things that make people feel safe are possible even if they don't make much difference, a bit like the old instructions in case of nuclear attack (which translate to building a self-burial spot under stairs but are labelled as building a shelter).

• Like 1

Fortunately, Tracy's a bit of a whizzkid on the sewing machine.

Mask.jpg

• Like 2

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

• Gold FFM

@Sparky - get Tracy chained to that sowing machine mate. My cash is waiting (paypal so covid compliant ;) ) when she's done!  Does she do them in Fire Red? Blacks always a bugger to keep clean looking....

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 12/07/2020 at 08:28, rjwooll said:

so fewer are dying now

Heard that a local funeral place has much fewer deaths now than last year. Are the statistics being applied correctly to indicate what is really happening? And why is so little being said about ways to boost immune system, like getting sunlight exposure? 

Even at the time when the most deaths were occurring, funeral directors were taking a big financial hit. The funerals were a lot less complex, with  private family-only services, no post-event gathering etc, all that means less add-on services and less time required so they will be less busy. Now, with lower death rates and still probably less add-ons (e.g. would many 60+yr olds etc want to gather in a venue after a funeral if they have been told to keep distant from people?) it will be even more of a hit for the funeral directors.

No, you have the scale wrong.

• Haha 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

Fortunately, Tracy's a bit of a whizzkid on the sewing machine.

Mask.jpg

Is that your thong?

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment

Schlong thong?

----------------------

On the mask thing, yes the inside of your eye sockets is a mucous membrane, but it pales into insignificance to the mucous membrane square area that is exposed to potential infection via your nose, mouth and lungs.

So, if you maintain distance from people as much as possible and wear a mask, the likelihood of contracting C19 via your eyes as the infection point, would be extremely low.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Will you have to wear a mask even where social distancing is being observed

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

On 09/07/2020 at 12:00, Bibs said:

Jeff Bezos is estimated to be worth 178 billion dollars which puts that into perspective. Don't understand why the government is loathe to increase income tax . When I started work and right up to the mid eighties income tax was 33% or 30% . For some reason modern chancellor's have reduced tax down to 20% but increased national insurance which is easier for companies and individuals to avoid

• Gold FFM

Er no.

Yes, the basic rate of income tax has come down and this has been to benefit lower earners and reduce their tax take.  Seems like a fair and positive move to me and the right thing to do as this helps the young and pensioners more proportionally.

However, the tax rate at the higher end has gone up. I paid 43% on all my earnings last year and don't have any "personal allowance". I don't whinge about that 43%, it's fair, but I will whinge if it goes any higher as I also have full NIC's taken out as well which takes my overall deductions to around 48%.  Hence why I would pissed if it went any higher. (or not as I couldn't afford the wine!)  :)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Lower earners can be protected by raising the free pay amount. In  the seventies top rate was 83%

• Gold FFM

Yup I've paid higher and I was bothered about it then and will be if it happens again. Not sure what your point is Pete - there is a point where ever higher taxes becomes counter productive and actually disincentives people to aspire and work hard.

• Like 2