free hit
counters
Corona Virus - Page 89 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

How is the money to be paid back if taxes aren't raised

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it appears we may have it - just heard a Doctor describe the symptoms and it matches ours 100% - not quite a cold and not quite flu. Carina is suffering a lot more than me, but in reality for us

UK Virus ALERT   The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised

I don’t even find it boring to stay inside all day ...but I don’t understand why in one box of rice krispies there are 2453 pieces, and in the other one 2467!

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

It will still be paid back it will just take longer. I've been working no stop these past months AND paying my taxes, I firmly believe I have paid enough! 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Typical middle class response :sofa:

• Like 1

Only here once

This isn't just about you, there are 30 million others in the uk  . 10% of taxpayers pay 60% of all tax so maybe the other 90% need to contribute a bit more

• Gold FFM

Yup. You got me there.  My mates from the council estate wouldn't know me....

• Haha 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, pete said:

This isn't just about you, there are 30 million others in the uk  . 10% of taxpayers pay 60% of all tax so maybe the other 90% need to contribute a bit more

The top 1% of earners pay 30% of all tax, largely due to the significant number of adults in the UK who pay no tax at all. Good luck getting them to get in there wallets.

Fundamentally, I think the tax system right now is pretty fair and would be happy to see it stay the same and if that means it takes longer to pay the Covid bill then fair enough. It took is until 2015, around 160 years to pay the slavery debt. It took us 60 years to pay all the debts from WW2. So if it takes 50 years for COVID so what?

But the reality is, higher tax rate payers will be the ones who get hit as (1) We'll complain but pay it and (2) politically it is palatable.

So whilst it's not about me, I'll end up footing more of the bill, again like all the other higher rate taxpayers!!!  Bear in mind I work PAYE so can't pay myself dividends or any other "tax dodges" - the taxman see's everything and takes a fcuking shit load......

Maybe leave the income tax rates and thresholds as they are. Stick a £1 a pint duty on beer/cider. £3 on a bottle of wine. £5 on spirits. £5 on a packet of 20. And up VAT to 40% on shellsuits, hoodies, joggers that don't cover your arse crack, tops that show your belly button from your pot belly (male or female) and anything made by Superdry, Lonsdale or Burberry! Should get the COVID bill paid for quicker.

At the same time whap up the tax on watches and "luxury goods" to 40% - if you can spend £25k on a rose gold Daytona you can afford £30k, legalise weed with a 25% VAT rate and introduce a new minimum price tax on chocolates, sweets and biscuits of £1 per 100grams.  Sorted.

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

Now @C8RKH I disagree with your Dividend comment especially as on 1st Aug I will be paying a massive Corp Tax bill along with the pensions, private health care and NI I pay  etc, etc ( and topping up anyone furloughed)  . However the legalise drugs and tax it is a brilliant idea, I don’t btw ( well not for decades) do treat yourself and watch Micheal Moore ( no not a fan) Invade Next and watch all of it as it will make you think and the Portugal part is fascinating maybe not as much as the Norway jail system. Worth a watch . 

• Gold FFM

@Dan E - there are some people who play by the rules (sounds like that includes you) and there are others who just take the piss - but then you get that in PAYE world too......

Generally, I'm a happy bunny. I earn OK and so happily pay my taxes.  But I do get more and more pissed about the fact that people like me are seen as "soft targets" for tax rises.  Any hows, nothing much I ever say on here is to be taken seriously. It's just a good place to vent!  Hahahaha...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I reckon anyone with a modern 2 seater should defo pay double road tax...

Only here once

• Gold FFM

😂, do yourself a favour and watch that, brilliant documentary, French schools food will pop your head ( my wife is more of a housewives of .... and she loved it ) What I am saying is sometimes I wish I was still PAYE. There has been many a time where everyone got paid and I didn’t, I put my house up a collateral at one point so I think Directors deserve a bit of a tax break. Controversial maybe but it is our arse on the line to keep people employed. People forget about all the other costs that come along with running a company, insurance for one, office rental, vans, cleaning and fook me the stress (we have turned over the best part of fuck all in the last 4 months but everyone is still employed) I could go on. 

I might become a drug dealer 😂

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Oh and I have got to pay Sparkles so it might all be over in the next two weeks 😜

• Haha 1
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

I reckon anyone with a modern 2 seater should defo pay double road tax...

And you need to go and @@@@ a chicken in your shed!   hahahahaha!.........

1 hour ago, Dan E said:

😂, do yourself a favour and watch that, brilliant documentary, French schools food will pop your head ( my wife is more of a housewives of .... and she loved it ) What I am saying is sometimes I wish I was still PAYE. There has been many a time where everyone got paid and I didn’t, I put my house up a collateral at one point so I think Directors deserve a bit of a tax break. Controversial maybe but it is our arse on the line to keep people employed. People forget about all the other costs that come along with running a company, insurance for one, office rental, vans, cleaning and fook me the stress (we have turned over the best part of fuck all in the last 4 months but everyone is still employed) I could go on. 

I might become a drug dealer 😂

i don't disagree with you on those points at all. The people that piss me off are "one man band" IT consultants and the ilk who basically just run the dodges and haven't taken any "chances" or risks....

• Haha 2

On 14/07/2020 at 21:31, ChrisJ said:

I won't be wearing a mask, so I won't be going to any shops - exactly the opposite to what the government is hoping to promote. 

With you on that!

I was just in the co-op and the fear is incredible! People especially the elderly are frightened...of what? What has changed?

My mate who works in statistical risk management recon going by the figure there are a provability of 3 people in Norfolk with the crapola...dont forget 99% will recover fine

Ive been happily going to the shops for myself and others since the start of this.

But now its gone we have to wear a mask? WTF is that all about?

I feel they are seeing how far they can push us with their nonsense. 

911.jpg

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• Gold FFM

Arh totally different story that one, now we agree! Obviously a sub contractor will always earn more than a PAYE because they’re expendable. I just get the arse when I get the “dividend” argument, my accountants invoice is eye watering but I pay every tax on time ( another overhead which is a legal requirement for a ltd company as you know) . Happy to pay tax but employers need a break I believe otherwise, why bother take the risk and we need to drag this country into having having apprenticeships again. 

• Love 1
  • Gold FFM

Amen Brother @Dan E

• Gold FFM

Oh and just to make you laugh after 3 months of arguing, including web chats, letters and phone calls I finally got a cheque ( yes a cheque) for the £3.20 HMRC owed me for their f$€k up. That is not  £320 it was for £3.20 after they buggered up my PAYE. 

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

And you need to go and @@@@ a chicken in your shed!   hahahahaha!.........

i don't disagree with you on those points at all. The people that piss me off are "one man band" IT consultants and the ilk who basically just run the dodges and haven't taken any "chances" or risks....

And the highly paid BBC presenters

• Like 1

I did find the recent news reports that 'Self Employed Earn Less Than PAYE (but are happier)' a giggle. Apparently, the average self employed person in the UK earns £15k!!! :lol:

Opera Snapshot_2020-07-17_094014_www.google.com.png

• Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well look at that. All of those self employed people earned exactly the same amount. :getmecoat:

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Those figures are based on what is declared as their income with HMRC, make of that what you will but I don't know many trades that are on below min wage at £60/day! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

The income they declare will be the minimum they can get away with declaring to save on TAX, NI and VAT.  It's just the way it is. A 1 in 100 years pandemic happens and fcuks them over. For the other 99 years they are laughing....

• Like 2