free hit
counters
Evora Launch Edition Register - Page 7 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Launch Edition Register

LOTUSMAN33

A few more cars that do not seem to be on the register:

AU09 CYV. 05/06/2009. Grey/Oyster.

GX09 KRZ. 08/07/2009. Black/Oyster.

SN59 JYO. 01/09/2009. Burnt Orange/Charcoal.

AU59 AFZ. 01/10/2009. Grey/Paprika.

DK59 AXX. 13/10/2009.

AU59 AGY. n/a. Black/Red. (Not on DVLA.)

AU59 AHF. n/a. Blue/Oyster. (Not on DVLA.)

AU59 AHZ. 22.10.09. White/Black.

AU59 AZR. 07.12.09. Pale Blue.

AU59 DSY. 22.10.09. Grey.

AU59 DSZ. 22.10.09. Blue/Oyster.

AU59 DRO. 11.11.09. Blue.

AU59 DUA. n/a. Red. (Not on DVLA.)

Dates of registration suggest that they all might be LEs.

Also: AU59 DTZ and AU59 DRV appear on the Dev list but their VINs put them in among main production. AU59 DTY also on the Dev list does not appear on searches under that registration.

If anyone can confirm registration numbers of any of the dealer demonstrator cars, that would be useful.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I just found the MOT expiry for AU59DSZ, which was January 2018, so still could be out there on a SORN.

I don't think the latest version of the database has been published by @LOTUSMAN33

I guess that one weakness of the present register is that some cars are now on private plates. Some could seem to be missing if the present owner has quoted the current registration they are now on rather that the first registration mark (which I provided for my car rather than the plate it's on now - it will be going bak to its original reg sometime in the future). What would be good is to have tenth digit and the last four digits from the VINs on the database of those cars presently owned by the TLF members who have contributed.

• Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

That's interesting Jon - this identifies where the demo cars sit in the VIN series but why do you think it is not an LE? From the figures provided by Andy Graham I would say that LEs include the press and dealer demo cars.

(Your car is not on the last-posted register, by the way, hence me mentioning it in my list.)

3 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

Early aquamarine blue car press car (LHD) reffered to ealier in the thread by @kkv444v. @LOTUSMAN33 it's on your list as red, not blue.

AU09AHZ.JPG

Thanks for the updates guys, I will sit down an do the changes.

This wouldn’t be the first time Lotus recycled plates, I’ve found lots of examples over the years with development cars. I probably still have the photo of it in red somewhere.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

If anyone wants a copy they can play with then feel free to PM me.

This is a tougher register to run than the dry sump one I do as chassis numbers aren’t provided and as said private plates confuse things further.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

On 04/03/2022 at 13:31, EuropaSman said:

@windymiller  I wonder if Johnny Tipler's new book about the Evora due to be published in September 2022 will shed any more light on production figures (reminder to self to preorder the aforementioned book 😃).

Screenshot_20220304-130858_Chrome.jpg

Do you mean this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-EVORA-SUBLIME-SUPERCAR-BOOK-2010-JOHNNY-TIPLER-TYPE-124-ELISE-EXIGE-/363717133566?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Gold FFM
  • Like 1

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

18 hours ago, kkv444v said:

That's interesting Jon - this identifies where the demo cars sit in the VIN series but why do you think it is not an LE? From the figures provided by Andy Graham I would say that LEs include the press and dealer demo cars.

(Your car is not on the last-posted register, by the way, hence me mentioning it in my list.)

I thought LE had to have the badge to be an LE. It's a full spec car with all the packs from 2009 so it's the same as an LE although I believe it has a short ratio gearbox which I read that LE's don't have. 

Happy to call it an LE just didn't want to make a claim that wasn't technically correct. I can provide any numbers for the car if this helps with the sequence? 

I think it is a question for Lotus to answer. I think we already have the numbers and can place it in sequence sitting very early in production, after the press cars and before customer cars. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Ashcroft said:

I thought LE had to have the badge to be an LE. It's a full spec car with all the packs from 2009 so it's the same as an LE although I believe it has a short ratio gearbox which I read that LE's don't have. 

Happy to call it an LE just didn't want to make a claim that wasn't technically correct. I can provide any numbers for the car if this helps with the sequence? 

Mine has no LE badges but it does have an LR gearbox. I suspect Hethel debadged it when they resprayed it for the James Bond promo/ press photos in the French Alps 

Edited by Rambo

On 05/03/2022 at 13:05, EuropaSman said:

I found this earlier on my computer. It's incomplete:

Lotus Evora Launch Edition – a part history of early deliveries:

02/06/2009 RX09CYS – Bell & Colvill’s Launch Edition demonstrator (aquamarine blue/oyster with forged wheels) is registered. “First production car” and first demonstrator to go to a dealer.

01/09/2009: AU59ACY (VIN ***0868)  A.K.A. Evora “chassis #1” handover at Hethel as the first customer ordered car delivery to M Melling. Guy Munday took the order for the car at the official launch at the London Excel in 2008.

01/09/2009 E6ACL handover at Hethel as the second customer delivery to A Laing. Same day as AU59ACY.

25/09/2009 RX59AYA (VIN ***0869) 2nd customer ordered car by VIN delivered to customer by Bell & Colvill.

25/09/2009 OO07ALN VIN ***0914) delivered to customer by Murrays.

Attached is a press release about the first curtomer delivery.  @windymiller unfortunately I've not found a refernce yet to the number of Launch Editions that Lotus said they were planning produce, but am still looking.

Photos of VP09 AU58EXP are on the first page of the Evora Picture & Video Thread.

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/33785-evora-picture-video-thread/#comments .

This is a link to one of the photos: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d58/justinking1986/Evora/ChromeOrange-blackwheels4.jpg

First Evora is Delivered to Customer 02 September 2009.pdf 186.64 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for info.

"25/09/2009 OO07ALN VIN ***0914) delivered to customer by Murrays." was owned by Allan Matheson, hence the OO07ALN reg plate put on it from new, and was the first owned Evora featured on Page 1 of the Evora Picture and Video thread immediately after the Bib's post of the Motorshow launch. It's Aquamarine with silver cast wheels, Oyster interior, sports exhaust.

When Allan sold it I guess he retained the plate because it was prepared for sale by Leodis Court Lotus dealer as SN59FYK on 16/11/2011.

A subsequent owner changed it from SN59FYK to E9ORA and DVLA reissued the existing MOT Certificate as E9ORA with a date of 17/01/2014.

I bought E9ORA in November 2018. It has been taxed and in use continuously since then.

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

On 05/02/2021 at 21:41, phil flash said:

20210205_121638.jpg

It annoyed me then as I thought there was too much glue involved, but now it is clearer that it was just badly cut round PPF. 🤨

Thanks to somebody for quoting a post of mine for helping me find this thread.  Hadn't seen it until this morning.  There goes hours!  If I had been gambling I'd have said the car wasn't delivered on the OO07 ALN plate but the original Scottish number but I can't find a single photo to prove that and my earliest ones are 2 weeks after delivery on the private plate.  Going senile.  Number still on an Evora S.  My 4th Evora.  

The Burnt Orange "first into Scotland" was factory delivered to Andrew who has that number on a McLaren as I was with him yesterday.  He is still on here as he has another couple of Lotus.  Mine was actually the 3rd car into Scotland but second delivered IN Scotland as another Aquamarine was delivered to somebody up the Oban way I think before me.  I couldn't take delivery any sooner as I was working abroad or it could have been 2 weeks earlier.

I haven't time to go looking for a thread but I gate crashed the Press Launch at Cameron House on the week of the 4th May 2009 and there were numerous colours posted there along with reg numbers.  I could trawl back but I don't suppose termed LE cars.  

One thing I do remember that annoyed us at the time was that the LE cars were all given the long ratio box for a more relaxed 4th, 5th & 6th experience.  Nothing wrong with that I hasten to add depending on how you used the car.  All the press cars had short ratio boxes that ended up becoming the expected norm.  The Bi Zenon lights were going to be optional originally but became standard.

I changed my car at the 1 year mark for various reasons I'm not going into here with an identically specced car that was put on the road 6 months after mine, and into Evora build and it was a factory car initially with a director as first driver  - but it wasn't an LE.   I'm sure my Cert of provenance for original car mentioned the 13th Customer car down the line.  I also have recollection of production being stopped for a period to sort out early production issues after only a few hundred customer cars were delivered.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Hi Allan, don't know what plate it left Hethel on, if any, but Murray M.C. put OO07ALN on Page 3 of the Maintenance Record booklet along with date of PDI as 23/9/09, Purchase as 25/9/2009, so it was being referred to as OO07ALN before it went on the road with you.

I went to a charity car show at Ket' Hall in it in April 2019 where I was chatting to Mike Kimberley, who I know from various pub meets, when he was 'nosing around' it. Mike told me the VIN ending 0914 signified it was in the '09 production of LE's and 14 was the sequential number BUT Chapman was superstitious and Lotus never had a Type 13 or put 13 on any serial number, and Mike continued the tradition. From that I concluded mine was the 13th made and told him that cheered me up a lot ..   thanks Mike!  ha ha ..

From that post I quoted earlier, it had a couple of '08 cars, 68 & 69, that I hoped meant it wasn't the 13th down the line but you are confirming what Mike told me ..   damn it! Think I may have to treat myself to an Andy Graham Certificate as a birthday present and take the opportunity to ask some questions. (I have the last M100E SE to leave Hethel - supplied to Elf Oil Co on 17/12/93 and initially registered as L1 ELF, which they retained. Andy was very helpful with extra detail on that when providing the earlier basic Cert of Provenance.)

I'm more than happy with the long ratio box as I use it as a Grand Tourer to get to the south of France.  Set Cruise Control for 2300rpm (135 kph) and 650 miles is done in 8 1/2 hours. With the short ratio box, where 6th is lower than Long Box 5th, it would be doing 3,000 rpm for 135 kph. In my view unnecessarily busy and thirstier too. Wasn't able to get down there during Covid restrictions but looking forward to another trip soon.

Around the B and C roads of Suffolk I seem to use 3rd most of the time. Original clutch has done 52k miles so I like to give it a quiet life whenever possible..

Phil

KET2065sm.jpg

20190716_1752c.jpg

• Like 2

Here it is as SN59FYK on the day I bought it from a dealer in Autumn 2013 (4 years old). I paid £29K plus a few hundred quid for a new set of tyres when it was on about 12,000 miles. I then spent a few hundred more on the new registration E9ORA. I still have the old number plates in my garage. I sold it on for £30K in Spring 2015 at about 14,000 miles to help fund my GTE.

9EtcE3V.jpg

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

@phil flash a lovely anecdote from MJK, but I found chassis 0913 in my Hethel 70th photos! Don't let the truth get in the way of a great story though! :thumbup:IMG_4491.thumb.JPG.65588bd9571115ce68ed633cd2fa4964.JPG

IMG_4492.JPG

• Gold FFM

The UK aquamarine blue & oyster LE sub register :geek:

Aquamarine blue list.JPG

• Gold FFM

14 hours ago, windymiller said:

but so it does seem like then only 87 were made

@windymiller yes, just 87 Launch Editions for the UK only, with a total of 235 quoted for all Launch Editons quoted by Andy Graham in my Evora's Certificate of Provenance back in 2015.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

@phil flash a lovely anecdote from MJK, but I found chassis 0913 in my Hethel 70th photos! Don't let the truth get in the way of a great story though! :thumbup:IMG_4491.thumb.JPG.65588bd9571115ce68ed633cd2fa4964.JPG

IMG_4492.JPG

Thanks, you've made my day. Even if they started at 901, mine probably isn't the 13th made then. I'll have to see what Andy Graham's view on it is...

Serial numbers of the press cars were in the 600s, first production cars from 721 on (dealer demonstrators) then customer cars started at 868. Bear in mind that serial numbers covered all cars, so an Elise might sit between two Evoras; there was not a continual sequence of all early Evoras. 

11 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

The UK aquamarine blue & oyster LE sub register :geek:

Aquamarine blue list.JPG

Perhaps 4 should be 'OO07ALN/SN59FYK/E9ORA' to complete the history.

• Thanks 1