free hit
counters
piston liners - how firmly are they? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
marode

piston liners - how firmly are they?

This might be stupid question, but I couldn't find much info about the liners except for how they are removed and how the specs for alignment and nip should be. Also I don't have a clue how they are sealed at the bottom. My questions are: is it dangerous to rotate the engine with the head off in terms of the liners to move? I am right now cleaning up the surfaces of liners and block to be able to measure nip accurately. The plan is, should all be in spec to leave the block where it is (in the car) and build the head back on. Another question is, are there any bottom seals to change / worry about?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If the liners have been set by the engine having been run for a reasonable period of time, then you can rotate the engine to your hearts dersire. The problem is on a newly re-built or in-process of being re-built, when the sealant will still not have set. The seals are by means of the anaerobic sealant, so no seals to replace as such. As long as it wasn't leaking and nip is within tolerance then my advice is to leave the liners alone.

• Like 2

Depends on what sealant was used. If its not fairly adhesive or completely set, then the ring friction can lift a liner as you turn the crank (been there).

There are liner retainer tools that bolt under the head studs between 1&2 and 3&4 to keep them in place if you are concerned. (the cad plated bits under the spacers on the stud in this photo)

CylinderNipTool (3).JPG