free hit
counters
Annoying stutter when pulling away sometimes - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Annoying stutter when pulling away sometimes

I bought this 2010 S in November and drove for a month and then put it away for winter.  Now emerging into spring I taxed last Sunday and have done a couple of short journeys.  I had notice the "spanner" light come on a couple of times after starting, but want out after a few seconds.  Now I have a slight hesitation when pulling away sometimes.  This afternoon it started to kangaroo for a couple of secs when pulling away!  Done a bit of searching on the forum but couldn't find a great deal (maybe using wrong search words).  There are no fault codes.  could it be TPS or MAF or similar?  How can I diagnose properly

All help greatly appreciated.

cheers

chris 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember the first time I drove my S4 in anger going “B.B.B. bloody hell!”  Is that what you mean?

Lol, my older brothers plus 2. 3rd gear and  he said floor it. I did. Bbbbbblooming eck If i recall rightly. 18 mths later I had my own.

Posted Images

I've occasionally had something from the MAF and the throttle body on my LE.

On my car, if it's the MAF, I withdraw it and clean the sensor itself with contact cleaner but the giveaway with this fault is that the idle speed is elevated.  With the throttle body, as long as the butterfly is clean, it's the plug that's the culprit.

Hope this helps,

Steve

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Ledlights said:

I've occasionally had something from the MAF and the throttle body on my LE.

On my car, if it's the MAF, I withdraw it and clean the sensor itself with contact cleaner but the giveaway with this fault is that the idle speed is elevated.  With the throttle body, as long as the butterfly is clean, it's the plug that's the culprit.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Hi Steve,

The K&N air filter you have is oiled paper (as I am sure you know) and over time that can lead to some oily deposits on the MAF (so I was told) and it is recommended to clean it with the correct cleaner a couple of times a year, or so.

cheers

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear from you! Yes, thanks, the CAI is definitely the culprit. As you suggested, I recently degreased it and re-oiled it to try to reduce the incidence above.

Cheers,

Steve

okay I degreased the filter and took it to work via a client this morning.  But is a bad as ever or even worse.  When I started it the "spanner" came on then after a few seconds went out.  Drove to the clients without any issues.  Then after a 1.5 hour meeting I left and the car stutter very badly for about 2 minutes.  Could it be temperature/cold related?

Is this cleaner I need for the contacts  https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD40D-N-A-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B006UCJ5WQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3L0K591Y35KQ2&keywords=electrical+contact+cleaner&qid=1583926302&sprefix=electrical+contact+%2Caps%2C139&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUDhBUjRVNUFaSjU2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDk1NjIyMThERU9ETTkwQ0tVTyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzc3Njc1M01KSlpVV0hXRzBSWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

or could someone recommend something else.

thanks.

Try wiggling the MAF sensor with the engine running for a reaction, and also have a look about for potential air leaks.

Also, the spanner light indicates an electrical fault - there will be a code, but it can only be read by the Lotus diagnostic system. Likely that the two things are related.

Dave

Yes, contact cleaner will work fine, probably better than carb cleaner in terms of not leaving residue.

It even states "Use on MAF sensor and car electronic fuel injection systems" in the description !

Edited by trcm

I remember the first time I drove my S4 in anger going “B.B.B. bloody hell!”  Is that what you mean?

• Haha 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok cleaned the filter again and both sensors.  It looks like it stutter about 2k rpm in first gear only and only occasionally.  Very annoying.  No ecu errors.  At a loss re what to do.  Maybe I have to take it to a dealer.  Can’t believe the ecu won’t give me any codes!🤧

30 minutes ago, Bruss said:

It cuts the engine when the clutch is depressed

I'm not sure that's the case. It cuts the cruise control certainly but that's pretty much all it's there for.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

I'm not sure that's the case. It cuts the cruise control certainly but that's pretty much all it's there for.

Maybe, but I remember when I was trying to diagnose I read something about its part of the entire management system that helps with economy and emissions.  

Am I correct that you have a CAI?  If so, why don't put the OEM airbox back to "eliminate" that it isn't the CAI (which it might very well be (or if you ask me: WILL BE) given the fact the OEM airbox' flap shifts from the long intake trajectory (less oxygen, more torque) to the short one as rpms increase.  If you have a CAI and it doesn't have an air straightener / diaphragm (like most don't do, even the Lotus Motorsport for the Exige hasn't one) it will cause turbulence on the MAF; combined with the colder weather making the car run pretty lean in (very) low rpms causing the stutter.  Don't worry, it'll run super rich in the upper regions as they all do. 😉

If you don't have a CAI, disregard all the above.  Would then suggest to check the throttle body connectors and the MAF connector.

If you don't have the OEM airbox anymore: disconnect battery for 20 mins, reconnect.  Start car with cold engine, don't touch the accelerator and let idle for 15 minutes.  Turn off; restart and test.

Edited by Kristof Thys
typo's - like always
4 hours ago, Bibs said:

The service notes indicate that the clutch sensor switch is also used to briefly cut fuel between shifts. 

image.png.9d913f711780f4b0cce7654b1dbfb388.png

I replaced mine a few years ago when I was encountering stalling issues when slowing to a stop. Even though it wasn't throwing any clutch sensor-related codes, it seemed to clear up that issue. 

Thx all.

All standard air box.

check connectors and cleaned

not traction control as car will kangaroo if I don’t take the foot off the accelerator. 

Where’s the clutch switch? And does anyone have part no’

I think  I may have to take it to dealer. I’m pissed off there’s no codes i can see.

Thx all.

Hi, mine was a little hesitant (sometimes stalling if pulling away on very low revs, bogged down with very rapid tap of the throttle) took it into Lotus Silverstone for a service a couple of weeks ago. They did the plugs and mentioned that one of the leads had some moisture in it which they addressed. Seems to be much better now. May be worth checking.

• 1 month later...

Took it out tonight to pickup curry (Social distanced)!  First time in more the 7 weeks.  Still bloody doing it! Will take it to lotus dealer when they’re open again.  Bloody annoying. 

I had this on a (German arse-end 'sports' car) before and it was the ignition coils.  Might be useful to check similar on your car?