free hit
counters
Evora or Excel? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora or Excel?

pbharcourt

I was looking for a late model Excel but nothing is floating my boat so I am now starting to look for an Evora in the lower price bracket.

Any advice on ownership and problems from these early Evora's would be appreciated

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Evora is a very special car.

You should of course buy my Excel....on the button, ready to enjoy but you don't like the colour! 

I love both....Evora so usable in all conditions, Excel has all the charm, sounds lovely, looks the business, impresses all and so easy to drive fast. Less fun in horrendous rain but that is a rare event. 

Only Evora significant issue for those on a budget is the clutch....pricey to replace. Mine on its original at 65k miles. 

Justin 

• Like 1

I have owned a late SE and Celebration Excel, both lovely cars and superb to drive.

Mind I wouldn’t have one over my Evora as totally smitten and hooked now, sublime piece of engineering and design which makes me smile every time I go in the garage.

Good luck with your search.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

https://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/lotus-excel-se-61000-genuine-miles-owned-since-2012-over-20k-of-expenditure-very-original-car/

Paul, a few pics here. I can send some more tomorrow by PM.

I know the price is punchy but this is a seriously good Excel. Lotus Cars Ltd supplied to Jersey new, service book stamped. I bought in 2012, 30,000 miles with me, total now just over 60,000 miles. I have spent a fortune on it and Bell Colvill have just done head gasket, cambelt, water pump, radiator, MOT, etc.... which all happened just as I advertised it! In the previous 3 years or so, the bills had been quite low after an initial flurry of bills in 2012, 2013 as the car had not been much used. Run on Valvoline 20/50, it revs like a ferret on acid and has a bespoke LotusBits exhaust that fires out flames on the over-run and pops and cackles like Rice Crispies dumped in Panda Pops. Yet it will cruise happily at 80mph all day long, the main noise is wind from the not so perfect Lotus designed window frames, but it was the 80s.

Love the Excel but life moves on. It really wants for nothing and should give someone a fabulous car with low expenditure for many years to come. 

Justin

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Close ratio box or longer ratio box. Most early cars had the long box which I think is longer in 3rd and 4th most notably. Press cars tended to have close ratio. 

Some owners don't care, others it is essential to have CR box. For me, it was important as I use 2nd to 3rd a lot and like to stay up the rev range, so CR for me. 

The Lotus factory can confirm which box a car left Hethel with. 

Search TLF for more specific info on this as discussed many times.

Clutch pedal can be heavy on early Evora. Excel has better clutch and gearbox feel, hence why you should ditch this Evora talk nonsense and buy a white Excel. 😁

Justin 

My view if you enjoy tinkering and want a smaller dent in your wallet then the Excel wins hands down, they have really good cabin visibility and soak up the miles with a painless ride quality. The later cars do look well finished and are pleasing to the eye from most angles (Can never make my mind up about the rear 🙄).

Drive both and make your own call as both fantastic and iconic cars which turn heads and raise conversations.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Having had both I’d say it rather depends how you want to use it. For every day or regular use the Evora hands down. I found I just wasn’t using the Excel. 

If you want a classic for the weekend then I think it becomes a personal preference. Certainly enjoying the Excel on a sunny day is less hazardous to your driving licence. 

Boy has the market picked up. I think I sold my well known and pretty tidy excel for £2k in c2009

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

If you get to drive an Evora, an immediate simple test for which gear set fitted:

Get into top gear, and see if the road speed is 27.5 mph per 1000 rpm (CR), or 37.5mph (original cars, but not given to the road testers).   So at 2,000 rpm, either 55mph or 75mph.    Yes, that much difference - no mistaking!  Be careful: I've had a dealer give me a car for road test, telling me it was a CR. It wasn't and the test was extremely brief!

Edited by mdavies
  • Like 1