free hit
counters
Incredibly smart or totally dumb? - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Incredibly smart or totally dumb?

On 09/03/2020 at 18:43, andydclements said:

On the Aston Expressway in Birmingham (England's second largest city) there are lanes that are so smart that traffic in one direction uses at some times, and traffic in the other uses it at other, so there's no central reservation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A38(M)_motorway  At least the use of hard shoulders is c70mph meeting stationery, rather than c140mph closing speed. Both are DUMB to the extreme

They had something similar in Manchester when I was a student there (back when petrol was 50p a gallon).  I think it was Brook Road but I'm not sure.  It was called a "tidal flow" system with signs above each lane to say whether they were open or not for you direction of flow.  Didn't know what the hell it was when I first moved there.

"Smart" whatever is usually dumb.  Like Comfort Inns aren't the last word in comfort and many sports utility vehicles are not sporty of have any special utility.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could have increased our motorway capacity by either stricter enforcement of the 'keep left unless overtaking' or increasing the penalties for it. If lane 1 were properly used, we'd have 50% more l

Smart motorways.  Find the people who came up with the idea and lynch them.  Fkn idiotic and guaranteed to result in deaths.

The white paper consultation of some random public sector clowns found that this was indeed absolutely fine. No doubt a knighthood was bestowed on the genius who suggested it.

On 11/03/2020 at 07:35, mdw said:

Closing speed should be 120 as according to my recent speed awareness course no central barrier means single carageway not duel.   Like thats going to make a differance!!!

Actually closing speed is 100mph as the speed limit in the A38M is 50mph. 

Dave - 2000 Sport 350
20 hours ago, oneshot said:

Actually closing speed is 100mph as the speed limit in the A38M is 50mph. 

If you are in the wrong lane when there’s an issue don’t think you’re a winner whatever the speed limit is!

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

On 09/03/2020 at 18:14, ramjet said:

I’m in Australia. What's a smart motorway?

Michael 

PERTH, watch this space! All lane running is being discussed for the Kwinana Freeway

Out for a Blat or on the Allotment