free hit
counters
Incredibly smart or totally dumb? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Incredibly smart or totally dumb?

C8RKH

• Gold FFM

Many things these days are labelled as "Smart", but honestly, just how Smart are they or, are they in fact, just incredibly stupid?  You my fellow Lotus Fanboys can decide whether something is incredibly smart, or just plain simple totally dumb.

Lets starts with two favourites that are always in the news. And know, that does not mean Meghan Markle and Prince Harry as we all know they are always dressed incredibly smart!

1. Smart meters - incredibly smart or totally dumb?

2. Smart Motorways - incredibly smart or totally dumb?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The white paper consultation of some random public sector clowns found that this was indeed absolutely fine. No doubt a knighthood was bestowed on the genius who suggested it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Only here once

I’m in Australia. What's a smart motorway?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

We have hard shoulders by the side of motorways - so if you breakdown you can stop on it - it’s a lane that is only for emergency use.

smart motorways - make use of the hardshoulder as a normal running lane - so potentially you have a 40 odd ton truck slamming into a stopped car at 56mph

Only here once

Right. I’m going with REALLY dumb. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

I agree. So have we done the Smart Motorway, or, do we have a case for their defense?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

13 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Right. I’m going with REALLY dumb. 

On the Aston Expressway in Birmingham (England's second largest city) there are lanes that are so smart that traffic in one direction uses at some times, and traffic in the other uses it at other, so there's no central reservation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A38(M)_motorway  At least the use of hard shoulders is c70mph meeting stationery, rather than c140mph closing speed. Both are DUMB to the extreme

• Confused 1

Weren't the smart motorways meant to come with smart technology to monitor the hard shoulder/running lane, and then "close" the lane when they detected a stationary vehicle?

The only problem being that they haven't installed these smart features on most motorways converted to smart ones.

• Gold FFM
52 minutes ago, andydclements said:

On the Aston Expressway in Birmingham (England's second largest city) there are lanes that are so smart that traffic in one direction uses at some times, and traffic in the other uses it at other, so there's no central reservation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A38(M)_motorway  At least the use of hard shoulders is c70mph meeting stationery, rather than c140mph closing speed. Both are DUMB to the extreme

Nice theory, but have you ever managed to exceed walking pace in that section :hope:

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

• Gold FFM
7 hours ago, Bibs said:

We could have increased our motorway capacity by either stricter enforcement of the 'keep left unless overtaking' or increasing the penalties for it. If lane 1 were properly used, we'd have 50% more lanes than the 2&3 that are the only really used ones most of the time currently.

Totally agree. The number of nimbwits who sit in Lanes 2 & 3 for miles is stunning. 

The other phenomenon I notice is the middle lane hogger who comes barreling up over the speed limit then slows and sits on the bumper of another middle lane hogger. Eventually when they pull over after several names the following middle lane hogger then accelerates into the difference and slows behind the next car they find in the middle lane.

Sitting at an indicated steady 75 (real speed usually 70-72 mph) you see more just how thick many drivers are and how their speed, even when traffic is very light, on a straight motorway can vary between 10-15, even 10-20 mph which is quite a substantial variance really.

But yes, losing 50% of the motorway capacity to lane hoggers is just dumb.

• Gold FFM

I have a different view on smart motorways. We have something similar since a few years on the motorway I take when coming home from work. It has worked wonders, saving an estimated 15min per journey. There are still some laybys for cars breaking down, an on most stretches the soft shoulder/grass verge can be reached as well. To be fair, it's very rare to see a car stranded there. And most of the time traffic is moving at a reasonable pace, spread over 3.5 lanes (the extra lane does see less use). When traffic is considerably slower, I tend to migrate to the extra lane. Speed fluctuations are usually smalles, and it's more relaxing. So yes, I'm a big fan. Which is not to say a lot would be achieved by just enforcing the correct use of the existing lanes instead of tolerating the middle lane huggers. Or just add a lane permanently, where possible. And of course strict monitoring is necessary, should a vehicle get stranded. But they get stranded on the other lanes as well, while often those on the hard shoulder shouldn't be there at all, just taking a 'break' or such. A couple of years ago, there was a story about someone who had stopped on the hard shoulder just to do his prayers!

Smart meters, I'm not a fan of. I don't even have smart phone, but do consider myself intelligent enough to be able to monitor my electricity use without needing special tools.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Smart Motorways are up there with the idea of putting pedestrian crossings immediately after the exit on roundabouts or cycle lanes between 2 traffic lanes - i.e. an attempt to ensure an accident and/or death.

Whilst I can understand the department or quango might comprise of 1 person stupid enough to suggest the idea - I find it incredible that there's enough people who sit there and think 'Yeah that sounds great - lets go for it'.

Looking at some of he ones their installing on the M23 - the run-off into the lay-by  doesn't seem long enough - and it looks like if someone has broken down in that one before you - you'll likely to end up going right up their backside. Furthermore, its not clear that there's enough room to get a decent enough speed to rejoin the motorway.

I also understand that a number of camera's on the ones in use aren't being monitored - so if you break-down it could be quite some time before anyone notices.

In respect of Smart Meter's - personally I would like one - as my meters are located high up in my garage - so to read them I need to get the car out and then a step-stool - and its all a bit of a faff. However, as with most things that are introduced - it wasn't  done properly - and I understand that if you changed supplier your 'Smart Meter' would cease to work. But maybe this has now been addressed?

At the moment my current supplier doesn't offer them; hey-ho.

Smart Meters;

They are neither. They are a medium for convenience and accuracy for the consumer and a vessel for marketing for the energy providers, ultimately seeded by the government to put a lid on energy prices through trade wars, which has actually killed off many energy companies.

Beware of smart, the long term aim is to have every household appliance as 'smart', fridges, freezers, washing machines, tvs, etc. This is so the energy company can assess your data, see exactly when you are using energy and offer you the best deal at that particular moment. In the future, it is likely we will bounce around multiple suppliers throughout the day, giving each company a piece of the pie.

With regards to smart meters actually saving you money, well, yes, they can, however it will be pennies at a time or you start to live in the dark or go without heating, and you dont need a fancy meter to tell you that.

Ultimately, they send accurate readings to a central hub for data capture.

On 09/03/2020 at 18:43, andydclements said:

Closing speed should be 120 as according to my recent speed awareness course no central barrier means single carageway not duel.   Like thats going to make a differance!!!

• Gold FFM

Best thing about Smart meters is that I have been able to change our DDM to variable so it picks up the bill each month for whatever it is. 

The energy company were insisting our monthly DD should be £150 per month against my "requirement" for £100 and "I'll pay the balance in April each year - if there is one". Biggest bill over winter - £153. Summer likely to be c£50. Funny that!!!

Took them 3 months to refund last time.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Igloo energy pay interest of 3% on any credit balance up to £1,000. Better than the bank! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 09/03/2020 at 18:17, Barrykearley said:

smart motorways - make use of the hardshoulder as a normal running lane

To be fair smart motor ways also provide variable speed limits based on traffic volume or indeed a traffic incident.

Using the hard shoulder though is definitely one the more dumber ideas

On 11/03/2020 at 11:01, Bibs said:

Igloo energy pay interest of 3% on any credit balance up to £1,000. Better than the bank! 

Yes I'm getting 4% interest reward with OVO!

On 09/03/2020 at 18:43, andydclements said:

They had something similar in Manchester when I was a student there (back when petrol was 50p a gallon).  I think it was Brook Road but I'm not sure.  It was called a "tidal flow" system with signs above each lane to say whether they were open or not for you direction of flow.  Didn't know what the hell it was when I first moved there.

"Smart" whatever is usually dumb.  Like Comfort Inns aren't the last word in comfort and many sports utility vehicles are not sporty of have any special utility.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE